Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Even the plants are crying out' - DCC Plant Pot Saga

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nial Ring is an idiot, always has been.

Though the statement by DCC is funny:

"Unfortunately in the timeframe available we did not have enough similar planters for both locations"

In what timeframe? It was hardly urgent; you could have waited the weeks or even months necessary to source the same pots...

"The timeframe" was probably before the end of the year so it came out of the right budget. Public servants :rolleyes:

I think it's a good idea to not stick the same ones everywhere though, avoids have a bland sameness about the city.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The ones on Henry Street do look fairly crap though, in fairness. Especially compared to the high quality planters used on Grafton Street.

The Gardaí have been pushing for such barriers to be erected to prevent terror attacks so DCC had to use something, but it's telling that the lovely ones went to Grafton Street. How long will Henry Street have the crap ones in place I wonder?

The ones on Grafton Street also look far more secure than the ones on Henry Street. I'd imagine a truck could move the ones on Henry Street fairly easily, but the Grafton Street ones look far heavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Inchicore got orange (painted) metal ones - on Emmet Rd near Richmond Barracks. They look worse than the Henry St ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

All of them look utterly dreadful, they're never going to fit in, I grant you that, but one lanky tree out of the top of them? Could have done better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

TallGlass wrote: »
    Seems a row has erupted between a councilor and DCC over the Southside seemingly getting better plant/tree pots than the Nortside of the city.

Unreal price tag of 50,000€ for a few trees is pretty unbelievable it's also unbelievable that someone in DCC thinks, they are going to stop a truck going up that street.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing more of them planted along the streets around Dublin to clean the air and make it look a bit nicer. Again not at a cost of 50,000€ for a few trees in a pot.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/even-the-plants-are-crying-out-row-erupts-over-inferior-new-plant-pots-in-dublins-northside-36528880.html

how much concrete or gravel is in the bottom of them? some I hope

ring misses the point of the things

but one presumes the planters on henry street are not lined up so vehicles that need access can actually drive slowly past them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Weird how everyone's worried about one set not being as nice in as the other, but nobody seems to be alarmed by DCC putting in hardware to protect us from terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

cgcsb wrote: »
    Weird how everyone's worried about one set not being as nice in as the other, but nobody seems to be alarmed by DCC putting in hardware to protect us from terrorism.

Considering the style of attacks that have happened on multiple locations around Europe recently, surely it makes sense to act with a degree of caution by being proactive rather than erecting something like this after the fact?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

cgcsb wrote: »
    The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum....

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

Interestingly though (on the protection against terrorist attacks front) I saw a number of fire appliances careering (albeit safely) down Henry Street yesterday afternoon after navigating between the obstructions. So, essentially, they will protect you ish when you are right beside them but a few yards further on you'll be scattered like skittles by the accelerating vehicle.

Not much protection there. Perhaps a more judicious investment would be in those automatic rising bollards which are, if the various youtube videos are to be believed, quite effective at actually stopping traffic...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

You could drive down any street and take out pedestrians.
    Those metal things look like they were pulled out of a scrap yard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

com1 wrote: »
    Interestingly though (on the protection against terrorist attacks front) I saw a number of fire appliances careering (albeit safely) down Henry Street yesterday afternoon after navigating between the obstructions. So, essentially, they will protect you ish when you are right beside them but a few yards further on you'll be scattered like skittles by the accelerating vehicle.

Not much protection there. Perhaps a more judicious investment would be in those automatic rising bollards which are, if the various youtube videos are to be believed, quite effective at actually stopping traffic...

I don't know why something can't just to placed that would absolutely stop a truck but anyway its better than nothing
    It'd significantly slow down the truck after hitting the first pot and then people would have a lot more time to run for cover in a shop before it can accelerate again

Advertisement