Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bbq advice

Options
  • 25-01-2018 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We're getting a new patio area put into the rear of our house in March.

It will be about 20ft x 20ft approx.

I'm looking at getting a bbq and was looking at gas ones which can be moved and stored in the shed. I've never owned one so if anyone has any recommendations about what to go for, I'd be obliged to hear them (to feed 4 to 6 people).

Then I also saw these:

http://www.buschbeck.ie/products/barbeques.186.html

and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them or would have any positive/negative things to say. The patio people could assemble it in March but they have a sale on now.

Any advice re bbqs generally very gratefully received as I've only ever used a charcoal Lidl one before but we're getting the patio so hope to use it more often. Budget would be around the €500 mark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've been using a Weber Genesis Silver gas grill for the past 16 years. It's been kept outside all that time, year round, uncovered.

The only maintenance was replacement of the flavouriser bars and grates in 2015, hopefully that will get me through until 2028 or so.

I wouldn't bother with a mixed-fuel one. Once you go to gas you'll never go back.

Think about how many people you want to cater for. Mine is fine for up to maybe 8 people and then it's awkward unless you want to spend all day standing over it (and that's really no fun). If you overcrowd a grill it's hopeless. For large numbers I'll do stuff in the oven and then maybe finish it off over on the grill.

I used to grill a few days a week all year round, but BBQ food gives you cancer, like most things worth eating, so I've cut down a lot since I learned that. It's now just an occasional treat.

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Hi all,

We're getting a new patio area put into the rear of our house in March.

It will be about 20ft x 20ft approx.

I'm looking at getting a bbq and was looking at gas ones which can be moved and stored in the shed. I've never owned one so if anyone has any recommendations about what to go for, I'd be obliged to hear them (to feed 4 to 6 people).

Then I also saw these:

http://www.buschbeck.ie/products/barbeques.186.html

and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them or would have any positive/negative things to say. The patio people could assemble it in March but they have a sale on now.

Any advice re bbqs generally very gratefully received as I've only ever used a charcoal Lidl one before but we're getting the patio so hope to use it more often. Budget would be around the €500 mark.

Dont buy it until you see it!

We were interested in one ourselves for our new patio. We went to look at one of the above in Horkans garden centre in the Glen of the Downs.
    We thought that they are not quite as impressive as they look on the link posted!!

Firstly the cooking area was tiny...picture just over the size of one of those cheap disposable jobs!!

The one they had assembled (cant remember the model) was similar to the Milano one we wanted. It had obviously been assembled for a while which was a good thing as it gave a great insight how it will look after exposure in the garden. It looked tired and really well worn.

We were both disappointed with it but decidedly happy that we hadnt bought blind online.

In the end we went for this one as a temporary and are now looking into getting a bespoke one built. The one linked is large and has a huge grilling area. It simply rolled into the shed after use.
    We will eventually have a permanent one done built. There are heaps of plans found in a google search and €500-600 that the Bushbeck one costs would go along way towards getting what you want.

Anyway, my advice is to see that one in the flesh before you commit. Im certainly glad I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Nedzer01

I was in Horkans of Glen of the Downs around the Black Friday weekend last year - they had a good offer on Beefeaters. I lived in Australia a few years back and these units though not serious high end had a solid reputation. Didn't own one myself but had friends with them and was at events where they were used. Would suggest going for a side burner option. What made me pull the trigger on it was storm Ophelia and being stuck without electricity here at home - Bbq would have been very handy. I'd steer clear of any of those chimera things, they'll break your back. Hoping you get the good weather for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Thanks folks, all of that advice is very helpful.

I think that I'm now leaning towards a gas bbq and a separate chiminea to get the best of both worlds!!

Thanks for taking the time to reply; it is much appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Thanks folks, all of that advice is very helpful.

I think that I'm now leaning towards a gas bbq and a separate chiminea to get the best of both worlds!!

Thanks for taking the time to reply; it is much appreciated!!

Hold your horses, you should get this, far cheaper than the other kamados and the price includes the trolly:

https://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/products/6942/18-inch-freestanding-kamado-grill/

They shipped it here for around £125(great considering it's about 100kg) iirc and got here in 48 hours, you can barbeque, smoke and cook pizza on it. Hold temperature really well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement