If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound bar/Sound base advice

Options
  • 25-01-2018 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I'm just wondering if I can get some advice on buying a sound bar or a sound base.

I want to improve the sound from my home TV. The TV gets general use and is used for everything from watching the news to film, TV shows, documentaries, gaming and even the radio sometimes. It is very general purpose and doesn't have any specific use.

We aren't audiophiles and don't need deep base or anything like that. All we are really looking for is something to improve speech clarity and volume. We find that sometimes when we are watching TV that we have to rewind to hear what was said. My mother finds it particularly difficult as her hearing isn't what it once was.

The TV sits on a table in an alcove with two walls either side. The front of the TV is at the edge of the table which is level with the end of both walls. This means that we can see the TV from all of the furniture in the room. The TV itself has a large single large stand with a large 'foot' fixed at the centre of the unit.

Taking all of the above into account I was considering a sound base. If we were to get a sound bar there is no room for it below the TV. There is also no room for it to sit in front of the TV and we can't push the TV back to accommodate it as the view of the TV screen from either side would be blocked by the two walls. We could put the sound bar beneath the TV in front of the table on the floor but I'm not keen on this. A sound base would solve this as the TV could sit on top of it.

I appreciate that the above explanation of the TV position is difficult to understand. I can send a picture if it will make it easier?

Do you have a product(s) that would solve the problem? As I said, I was looking at a sound base as the TV could sit on top of it and viewing would not be affected but if there is some way of getting a new stand for the TV that would allow a sound bar fit beneath it then I would consider that.

Apologies for the long post. Hopefully you can help.

Thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

joken7 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm just wondering if I can get some advice on buying a sound bar or a sound base.

I want to improve the sound from my home TV. The TV gets general use and is used for everything from watching the news to film, TV shows, documentaries, gaming and even the radio sometimes. It is very general purpose and doesn't have any specific use.

We aren't audiophiles and don't need deep base or anything like that. All we are really looking for is something to improve speech clarity and volume. We find that sometimes when we are watching TV that we have to rewind to hear what was said. My mother finds it particularly difficult as her hearing isn't what it once was.

The TV sits on a table in an alcove with two walls either side. The front of the TV is at the edge of the table which is level with the end of both walls. This means that we can see the TV from all of the furniture in the room. The TV itself has a large single large stand with a large 'foot' fixed at the centre of the unit.

Taking all of the above into account I was considering a sound base. If we were to get a sound bar there is no room for it below the TV. There is also no room for it to sit in front of the TV and we can't push the TV back to accommodate it as the view of the TV screen from either side would be blocked by the two walls. We could put the sound bar beneath the TV in front of the table on the floor but I'm not keen on this. A sound base would solve this as the TV could sit on top of it.

I appreciate that the above explanation of the TV position is difficult to understand. I can send a picture if it will make it easier?

Do you have a product(s) that would solve the problem? As I said, I was looking at a sound base as the TV could sit on top of it and viewing would not be affected but if there is some way of getting a new stand for the TV that would allow a sound bar fit beneath it then I would consider that.

Apologies for the long post. Hopefully you can help.

Thanks
    Hi Joken7.

Thanks for the post.

A sound base should be able to work for you.

However it depends on the size of the television you have. Could you post up the model number of your TV and I can check it out to see just how large the stand is and I can then check to see which sound bases it might fit onto.

Regards a different rack for the TV to sit onto again it depends on the space that you have between the two wall and the size of your current TV stand.
    The below link is to the units that we stock:
    https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/tv-accessories/tv-stands.html

Let me know what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 joken7

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for that. I probably won't go for the rack but the sound base seems to be the way to go alright.

The TV is an LG 47LS5600-ZC.

Thanks again,
    John

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for that. I probably won't go for the rack but the sound base seems to be the way to go alright.

The TV is an LG 47LS5600-ZC.

Thanks again,
    John
    Thanks for that John.

The following sound bases will allow your television to sit on top of it.

Cambridge TV5 V2 priced at £249.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202341-tv5-v2.aspx

Canton have their DM55 priced at £269.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-201574-dm55.aspx

Q Acoustics produce the M2 priced at £299.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202920-black-400160.aspx#tabSpecifications-tab

Canton also have the bigger brother of the 55 the DM75 coming in also a t £299.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-201575-dm75-glass.aspx

Optical out from your television into any of these and you are up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 joken7

Thanks Kenny,

Not much between any of the above in price. Which would you recommend? And whats the best price you'd do? :) 

Also, is there any difference in quality between sound bases / sound bars that use optical instead of HDMI (I don't know much about these things at all!! :) )

Thanks,
    John

Thanks Kenny,

Not much between any of the above in price. Which would you recommend? And whats the best price you'd do? :) 

Also, is there any difference in quality between sound bases / sound bars that use optical instead of HDMI (I don't know much about these things at all!! :) )

Thanks,
    John
    Hi John.

HDMI can carry HD Audio were Optical can only carry up to Dolby Digital.

The TV5 and the M2 above has one HDMI ARC input so if you TV also HDMI ARC then it can connect via a HDMI cable.

Very little movement on price on these.

I could offer the TV5 V2 a little lower at £230.00
    The M2 for £275.
    Both the Cantons would remain the same price unfortunately.

I could also offer free shipping on any of them.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.