Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approval for new hotel in city’s west end

Options
  • 25-01-2018 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭

A proposal for a new hotel in the city’s west end has been approved by the city council.

Carrolls Inns Limited has been granted planning permission for the hotel at Dominick Street, subject to conditions.

The development involves demolishing a building at the back of 39 Dominick Street and building a 43-bedroom hotel, pub and restaurant.

It also consists of alterations and extensions to numbers 39 and 41 to 43 Dominick Street, which are protected structures.

Source:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So what are your feeling on this OP?
    You just posted an article but did not give any reason as to why.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Great to see something being done with that building. By my reckoning it's been 3 decades since it was last used.

What odds An Taisce throwing in an objection?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Robbo wrote: »
    Great to see something being done with that building. By my reckoning it's been 3 decades since it was last used.

What odds An Taisce throwing in an objection?

Highly likely as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

biko wrote: »
    So what are your feeling on this OP?
    You just posted an article but did not give any reason as to why.

It was more of a informative\news post biko, I was going to put it in the "Shops/Businesses opening/closing down" section of Galway but I saw your post on the 15th stating it was only for shops that had opened or closed (Link) so this fits neither.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Planning number is 17133

An Taisce appear to be broadly in favour (given it's restoring some buildings that are pretty much destroyed now).

Car parking is provided by financial contribution to the council only - nothing on site (fair enough, given the site it is).

An Taisce note that guests may be picked up by tour busses. But there's no mention of traffic impacts, or where busses would stop, or where taxis would pick up or drop off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Robbo wrote: »

I couldn't agree more. Aaahhh, "The Valentine".

Will be great to see something done with that stretch.

Construction / Consumer traffic will be some craic :pac: - Regardless, it's a fair trade off to see that area renovated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Planning number is 17133

An Taisce appear to be broadly in favour (given it's restoring some buildings that are pretty much destroyed now).

Car parking is provided by financial contribution to the council only - nothing on site (fair enough, given the site it is).

An Taisce note that guests may be picked up by tour busses. But there's no mention of traffic impacts, or where busses would stop, or where taxis would pick up or drop off.

Interesting about the parking. I thought that would have been a requirement.

They should make the bus drop-off/pick-up site somewhere like Ravens Terrace. That would have the space to handle it a bit better. No reason it has to be right outside the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

xckjoo wrote: »
    Interesting about the parking. I thought that would have been a requirement.

They should make the bus drop-off/pick-up site somewhere like Ravens Terrace. That would have the space to handle it a bit better. No reason it has to be right outside the front door.
    There's a pedestrian path from the end of Mill Street car park to the rear of a neighbouring site. Maybe it could be used for the hotel too?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

There's a pedestrian path from the end of Mill Street car park to the rear of a neighbouring site. Maybe it could be used for the hotel too?

It's private property. The gate used to be closed at night on both ends. Not sure if that still happens

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's discussed in the planning docs.

There will be access to it during the day, for safety reasons, but the gate to it will be locked at night.

That said, the docs also say that the current plan doesn't meet fire service regulations (something like that). So some things will have to change - but I don't know what exactly the issue is.

An Taisce raised the issue that there are hotel rooms on the ground floor, and these could have personal security issues given the rear access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

getting materials into there for building work during the day will be a absolute nightmare,its bad all day as is for parking or drop offs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Lots of new hotels in Galway . This at 43 , Connacht tribune Site 200 beds if it gets planning, Shannon DC site 139 bed ,
    More possible Corrib, Laundry site .

Westwood at 58 beds could be lost if the Student village goes ahead but will probably be objected to anyway .

Probably Less beds in 2020 actually given build times etc if WW closes this year ??

Advertisement