Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debt Collection note out of the blue - Tesco Mobile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Sparko

oh please :rolleyes: - at the risk of keep repeating myself, I entered in a contract to buy a phone. I supplied my bank details and authorised Tesco Mobile to take the money out of my account by direct debit!

I have no concrete evidence but I am surmising either Tesco Mobile didnt send the paperwork to the bank or the bank didnt pay them (I did have enough money in the account every month to cover it by the way) or TM didnt request the money every month like they were supposed to

- I dont get how these DD things work internally in banks/organistations.

If someone would like to comment (in laymans terms I can understand) what happens or supposed to happen after I sign the forms instructing Tesco Mobile to take 30euro a month out of my bank account in step by step process then I am all ears, please do

Any people who work in banks on here and know how DD works?

I don't work in a bank, but up until last year I was working for a utility company that collects payments by DD.

As part of the customer set up process, our customers provided us with their bank details and we checked their validity on the BPFI website. The customer joined the next invoicing run and then a few days before the due date the invoice amount would be sent as part of a batch report to our bank, who would request the funds from all the relevant bank accounts. Within a few days we would then receive a report of all failed DDs and the reasons why, i.e. insufficient funds, cancelled mandate etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Sparko wrote: »
    I don't work in a bank, but up until last year I was working for a utility company that collects payments by DD.

As part of the customer set up process, our customers provided us with their bank details and we checked their validity on the BPFI website. The customer joined the next invoicing run and then a few days before the due date the invoice amount would be sent as part of a batch report to our bank, who would request the funds from all the relevant bank accounts. Within a few days we would then receive a report of all failed DDs and the reasons why, i.e. insufficient funds, cancelled mandate etc.

The next step would be to contact the customer. Calling the phone number wouldn't work, as the SIM isn't in use. Sending a letter would be next. But was there something about giving them an address you don't live at?

Their next step, once the amount owed had reached a balance to make it economically viable would be to hand over the debt to a collection agency. Unlike a MNVO, they would have the expertise to track down the owner of a delinquent account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

I've been getting letters off Meteor/Eir for the past year or so saying I owe them €-0.67 (yes, minus). Should I be worried about this sort of nonsense? The only reason I haven't told them they're sending me letters telling me I owe them less that nothing is because I find it amusing opening the letter every month..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

My friend left Meteor and for some reason they owed her something ridiculous like 14c. So they used to keep sending her cheques for that amount.

I don't think you tried to pull a fast one by getting a new phone on the never never though. I think you'll be OK lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

McGaggs wrote:
    The next step would be to contact the customer. Calling the phone number wouldn't work, as the SIM isn't in use. Sending a letter would be next. But was there something about giving them an address you don't live at?

The OP seems to think Tesco Mobile should have sent someone around to their house to tell them they haven't been paying their bill!
    The excuse that he has another Tesco Mobile phone coming out of his account so he didnt know he wasnt paying both is also bullsh1t. Did he not look at the amount, which would have told him it was only for one phone?
    OP needs to cop on and take responsibility of his finances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I've been getting letters off Meteor/Eir for the past year or so saying I owe them €-0.67 (yes, minus). Should I be worried about this sort of nonsense? The only reason I haven't told them they're sending me letters telling me I owe them less that nothing is because I find it amusing opening the letter every month..

You reply to them and ask for a refund of the overpayment.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

OP, did you sort this out?

If I was in your position I would ignore them : Debt collection see paragraph 'Private debt collectors' -

"Instead of directly pursuing you for the debt, creditors sometimes sell the debt to a private collection agency. Such agencies are not subject to authorisation and supervision in their own right by the Central Bank."

Tescomobile have already SOLD the debt to the private debt collection agency therefore the debt collection agency are attempting to now profit by whatever percentage they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Kevwoody wrote: »
    The OP seems to think Tesco Mobile should have sent someone around to their house to tell them they haven't been paying their bill!
    The excuse that he has another Tesco Mobile phone coming out of his account so he didnt know he wasnt paying both is also bullsh1t. Did he not look at the amount, which would have told him it was only for one phone?
    OP needs to cop on and take responsibility of his finances.

It would have been two separate transactions. Each one would be set up from a different DDM.

McGaggs wrote:
    It would have been two separate transactions. Each one would be set up from a different DDM.

Yea true, so he should have seen Tesco Mobile twice every month on each statement.

Ridiculous advice. OP will be blacklisted and unable to obtain finance in the future.
    Also from a moral standpoint, why should he get a brand new Samsung S6 and not have to pay a penny for it?

Edit: and in fairness to the OP, he's willing to pay it in monthly instalments going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

jim salter wrote: »

If I was in your position I would ignore them : Debt collection see paragraph 'Private debt collectors' -

"Instead of directly pursuing you for the debt, creditors sometimes sell the debt to a private collection agency. Such agencies are not subject to authorisation and supervision in their own right by the Central Bank."

Tescomobile have already SOLD the debt to the private debt collection agency therefore the debt collection agency are attempting to now profit by whatever percentage they can.

Such a ridiculous and utterly wrong post

To anyone reading the posr above - this is NOT based on anything other than the poster's own bull thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Then you'd be in breach of contract. When op signed the contract with Tesco mobile there was a part in the terms and conditions allowing them to transfer his debt to outside companies if he failed to pay.

Just pay the debt it's pretty simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Make an excel sheet with list of direct debits and amounts
    Check monthly that all DDs have gone out
    Immediately flags any problems

Very easy to do, doesn’t cost anything except a short amount of time and avoids this kind of situation

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

CeilingFly wrote: »

In your opinion.

I have been in the EXACT same position with Tescomobile.

Tescomobile has SOLD THE DEBT to a private, non-regulated debt collection agency who has NO LEGAL STANDING.

Tescomobile have recovered whatever they deemed acceptable by selling the debt for whatever price they sold it for.

Had Tescomobile communicated with the OP, they could've reached an agreement for payment and they would probably have recovered more of the perceived debt.

BTW who are you to decide if another's opinion is right or wrong? get off your high horse

jim salter wrote:

And hows your credit rating now?
    Do you find it acceptable to avail of goods and services and not pay for them?

In your opinion.

Tescomobile has SOLD THE DEBT to a private, non-regulated debt collection agency who has NO LEGAL STANDING.

Tescomobile have recovered whatever they deemed acceptable by selling the debt for whatever price they sold it for.

Had Tescomobile communicated with the OP, they could've reached an agreement for payment and they would probably have recovered more of the perceived debt.

BTW who are you to decide if another's opinion is right or wrong? get off your high horse

It's not a case of your opinion being right or wrong you are simply wrong.
    You signed an agreement allowing Tesco to do that and then when they did exactly what they said they'd do you don't like it!

It's ridiculous to tell people that they should breach a contract they signed while you expect the company to stick with their side of the deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,891 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

oh please :rolleyes: - at the risk of keep repeating myself, I entered in a contract to buy a phone. I supplied my bank details and authorised Tesco Mobile to take the money out of my account by direct debit!

I have no concrete evidence but I am surmising either Tesco Mobile didnt send the paperwork to the bank or the bank didnt pay them (I did have enough money in the account every month to cover it by the way) or TM didnt request the money every month like they were supposed to

Come off it! If the money was there every month and Tesco didn’t take it and you didn’t notice that they didn’t take it but knew that you owed it, then it stands to reason that the money is still there and you can now pay in a lump sum.

You already had 2 bill pay phones and decided to take a third bill just to get a phone but not use the calls/texts/data- utterly ridiculous. €60 for a €30 plan!

More like the real story goes that you tried to pull a fast one- giving wrong address and or giving wrong iban and not putting sim into phone. Well it didn’t work, they still caught up with you so now pay your dues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Kevwoody wrote: »
    And hows your credit rating now?
    Do you find it acceptable to avail of goods and services and not pay for them?

For the last time

Tesco Mobile DO NOT HAVE WRITE ACCESS to credit reference agencies like the ICB

Only ICB members like banks, local authorities and credit unions can access/amend this database.

Eir, Vodafone and 3 have their own database run by Experian called Credit Insights. This has been in operation since late September 2016 and only applies to contracts that commenced the last week of September. Banks and credit unions do not access this database.

CI members
    Eir
    Vodafone

Non CI members
    Virgin
    ID
    Tesco

The debt is written off by Tesco and sold to Cabbot for a nominal amount like €7. Too small an amount to go to court for. The OP could just turn around and wipe his arse with the letters instead and tell them to F off.

The debt is written off by Tesco and sold to Cabbot for a nominal amount like €7. Too small an amount to go to court for. The OP could just turn around and wipe his arse with the letters instead and tell them to F off.

So your saying its acceptable to get a brand new Samsung S6 and not pay a penny for it?
    Ok then!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Farmer Bob

my3cents wrote: »
    Is there even a contract formed if the SIM wasn't activated?

The contract is formed when you sign up to the service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

He's conveniently forgetting that an expensive handset went unpaid for during all of this

For the last time

Tesco Mobile DO NOT HAVE WRITE ACCESS to credit reference agencies like the ICB

Only ICB members like banks, local authorities and credit unions can access/amend this database.

Eir, Vodafone and 3 have their own database run by Experian called Credit Insights. This has been in operation since late September 2016 and only applies to contracts that commenced the last week of September. Banks and credit unions do not access this database.

CI members
    Eir
    Vodafone

Non CI members
    Virgin
    ID
    Tesco

So you're suggesting fraud is OK? That's what you've done and what you're recommending the op should do.

The debt isn't "written off" it's sold and as the op and you have agreed to this you have agreed to pay the third party.
    You signed the contract and you're legally obliged to pay it to whoever owns the debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

CeilingFly wrote: »

To anyone reading the posr above - this is NOT based on anything other than the poster's own bull thinking.

@CeilingFly - rather than calling something out as wrong, it would be far more helpful if you could explain why you believe it to be wrong. You really need to reign it in sometimes, attack the post, not the poster

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Andy, I’m remembering your car crash free coffee thread. If you are struggling to pay €30 a month of a phone bill then my advice is cut out the deli food and the multiple coffees. It’ll do your wallet and health a world of good.

ah well you see thats your fault that you are tying up 2 separate irrelevant threads together when what you should be doing is just concentrating on this one and just post a reply to do with this subject and not be looking and commenting on my previous posts as a reply to this thread - not a lot I can do about that I am afraid :)

Then you'd be in breach of contract. When op signed the contract with Tesco mobile there was a part in the terms and conditions allowing them to transfer his debt to outside companies if he failed to pay.

Just pay the debt it's pretty simple.

which is what i have agreed to do, but its to the debt collector now not tesco mobile - i dont mind that its just going to take a long time now to clear off the debt.

If TM would have taken the 30euro per month as they were supposed to do from the start out of my bank by DD then it was over 18months ago I think so I would have been at end of the contract. and it wouldnt have come to this being referred to a debt collector. What a headache!

DD is supposed to make things so easy - why should the onus be on the customer to check if TM are taking the payments ? - i have other things to be getting on with .

am in Tesco store every week at least once a week, would have rather paid 6 quid a week or whatever 30euro per month works out to per week - but I bet they would have said I cannot do that and have to pay monthly by DD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

which is what i have agreed to do, but its to the debt collector now not tesco mobile - i dont mind that its just going to take a long time now to clear off the debt.

If TM would have taken the 30euro per month as they were supposed to do from the start out of my bank by DD then it was over 18months ago I think so I would have been at end of the contract. and it wouldnt have come to this being referred to a debt collector. What a headache!

DD is supposed to make things so easy - why should the onus be on the customer to check if TM are taking the payments ? - i have other things to be getting on with .

am in Tesco store every week at least once a week, would have rather paid 6 quid a week or whatever 30euro per month works out to per week - but I bet they would have said I cannot do that and have to pay monthly by DD

You obviously have no money issues if you don't need to check your bank accounts at all, so why not just pay it off straight away?

Sadb wrote: »
    Come off it! If the money was there every month and Tesco didn’t take it and you didn’t notice that they didn’t take it but knew that you owed it, then it stands to reason that the money is still there and you can now pay in a lump sum.

You already had 2 bill pay phones and decided to take a third bill just to get a phone but not use the calls/texts/data- utterly ridiculous. €60 for a €30 plan!

More like the real story goes that you tried to pull a fast one- giving wrong address and or giving wrong iban and not putting sim into phone. Well it didn’t work, they still caught up with you so now pay your dues.

oh feck off would ya - stop tarring me with someone who wants something for nothing or pulling a fast one, you dont even know me you have most proabably read some of my old posts or something or made your own mind up about someone without really knowing them - I will bloody find that bill and I will make sure I put the right Bic and IBAN or whatever it is - and (I dont know why I even have to explain to someone like you) we moved address AFTER I took out the DD with tesco and all our old post, absolutely every post gets redirected to us.

Think first before you judge people!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,138 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You should have never engaged with the debt collection firm and insisted on repaying the Debt to Tesco.

But because you have signed up to a payment plan with the collection firm there is no real consumer advice to be offered going forward.

If TM would have taken the 30euro per month as they were supposed to do from the start out of my bank by DD then it was over 18months ago I think so I would have been at end of the contract. and it wouldnt have come to this being referred to a debt collector.

It's up to you to pay your bills! Of course the onus is on the customer to ensure they pay their bills I'm genuinely concerned that people can think it's not their responsibility to do so.

Honestly stop trying to blame Tesco 18 months is too long to not have noticed. It'll take as long to clear it as it would have to pay it if you'd paid the contract in the first place...

• Advertisement

He's conveniently forgetting that an expensive handset went unpaid for during all of this

not my doing, i filled out a form authorising TM to take 30euro a month on DD for it - whatever happened after that I dunno

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement