Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pubs to open on Good Friday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Irish people need to stop drinking, not being encouraged to drink more. One of the worst problems with the country is the drinking culture.

I agree totally with that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Irish people need to stop drinking, not being encouraged to drink more. One of the worst problems with the country is the drinking culture.

Good Friday was the biggest house party day on the calendar. You're deluded if you think the Good Friday ban curbed drinking. And, believe me, anyone with an alcohol dependence wouldn't have been caught out, they're the people who'd have got booze in ahead of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Almost every pub in this country is a kip serving overpriced muck and I for one avoid them as much as possible and will be doing so this coming Good Friday. Anyone who does go for a few, Enjoy the price gouging yiz mugs !

Bang of Make Irish pubs great again off this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Ha well, there goes virtually the only Friday of the year I actually wanted a drink.

Embarrassing that it took 91 years to get rid of this ridiculous ban but at least it's done now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ok, let’s get to work on Christmas Day now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

splinter65 wrote: »
    If you could get the weekend off it’d mean you’d actually have 4 days.
    But that’s all over now.
    Good Friday is absolutely not a public holiday. It is a bank holiday, a big difference.
    So do employers give the day off because the pubs are closed or the banks are closed? Are the banks still going to close?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The Good Friday drink ban is a great way of demonstrating the absolute adolescent attitude so many people have to a) drink and b) authority in general.

People who are practically pioneers the other 364 days of the year, apart from Good Friday when they often ended up in alcohol induced comas so they could "stick it to the man" and "his religious oppression that keeps me from drinkin"

I'm all for a secular society where religious beliefs don't impinge on what the non religious want to do with their free time, but is there anything inherently wrong with one other day in the year, along with Christmas, when people in an industry with shítty wages and work hours got time off, another family orientated day/night when people either abstain or drink their heads off at home if they so wished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

drake70 wrote: »
    December 8th is a holy day when the schools are off and because of that it was a popular day to bring the kids Christmas shopping.

I've been in the public service for 27 years and have never had it off except when it fell on a Saturday or Sunday.

Bank time, which has now been abolished, was only a half hour per pay day.

Schools are not off on the 8th.

If a school chooses to close on the 8th, they have to make the day up in the school calendar, usually by coming back a day earlier in August.

Agricola wrote: »
    I'm all for a secular society where religious beliefs don't impinge on what the non religious want to do with their free time, but is there anything inherently wrong with one other day in the year, along with Christmas, when people in an industry with shítty wages and work hours got time off, another family orientated day/night when people either abstain or drink their heads off at home if they so wished.

Once again, with feeling: people get annual leave and do not work 364 days a years in these jobs.

People can still abstain from drinking on Good Friday.

From a church/state separation viewpoint, this is an important development. You say you're all for a secular society. This is a step towards achieving that. Such a small thing but so big at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

The Good Friday drink ban is a great way of demonstrating the absolute adolescent attitude so many people have to a) drink and b) authority in general.

People who are practically pioneers the other 364 days of the year, apart from Good Friday when they often ended up in alcohol induced comas so they could "stick it to the man" and "his religious oppression that keeps me from drinkin"

Publicans are free to close on any day of the year they choose, but incredibly they choose not to. Removing a religiously-motivated ban is a good thing in general, as a small section of society should not be dictating to the rest how they live.

People are free to either drink on Good Friday or not, and publicans are free to open, or not. Choice is great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

but is there anything inherently wrong with one other day in the year, along with Christmas, when people in an industry with shítty wages and work hours got time off, another family orientated day/night when people either abstain or drink their heads off at home if they so wished.

Not at all, least I don't think so.

And if there was a 'lets give pub staff a day off' day, somewhere randomly in the year then I'd have no problem with that, whatsoever. Same with a 'family promotion' night or whatever you want to call it.

As it is I'm very rarely in the pub anyways.

I just have a problem with it being done ON a religious holiday and BECAUSE it's a religious holiday.

Same way I have a problem with not being allowed to buy a bottle of wine on Sundays before 12.30 because mass isn't out yet.
    Not because I'm likely to drink it before 12.30 but because if I happen to want to do my shopping nice and early why should I be inconvenienced by people telling me I can't buy a bottle of wine NOW.....to drink later....or never?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Might help out the tourists but can't see this law change making any difference to the native drinking fraternity who can't last a day without drink being available (i.e., 90% of the population) who will have already worked out solutions over all the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Might help out the tourists but can't see this law change making any difference to the native drinking fraternity who can't last a day without drink being available (i.e., 90% of the population) who will have already worked out solutions over all the years.

I'd be surprised if 5% of the population frequent a pub on an average Friday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Once again, with feeling: people get annual leave and do not work 364 days a years in these jobs.

People can still abstain from drinking on Good Friday.

From a church/state separation viewpoint, this is an important development. You say you're all for a secular society. This is a step towards achieving that. Such a small thing but so big at the same time.

Nobody works 364 days a year, thats not the issue. The issue is some of us have cushy numbers working 9 to 5's Monday to Friday, some even have 9 to 3's with around 4 months in the year off ( :D that's another thread) but some are in jobs where they can be rostered across the 7 days of the week with very unsociable hours and shít pay. And for what? So a nation that's so steeped in drink that our national symbol could easily be a pint of guinness, has yet another day to immerse itself in the stuff.

Church/state separation is all great but this is just a win for the Vintners/revenue by stealth. I'd rather declare Good Friday, National Dry Shíte Day and keep the status quo with none of the Catholic connotations that so excite all the a la carte atheists who probably still happened to have big church weddings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Gonna party like it's 1926, who hoo! Up de Republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm going to the pub but I'm not going to drink in protest at this move.

Church/state separation is all great but this is just a win for the Vintners/revenue by stealth.

Ya know what? I'm okay with that.

Oh and I had a civil wedding myself. ;) Civil ceremonies are growing more popular every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I'd rather declare Good Friday, National Dry Shíte Day and keep the status quo with none of the Catholic connotations that so excite all the a la carte atheists who probably still happened to have big church weddings!

I think that might just get all the Catholics up in arms :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I don’t know anyone outside of public sector workers who got Good Friday off.
    I work in the private sector, but some of our suppliers, also private sector, always take Good Friday off. And it is one of the traditional builder's holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Only day off in the year is it?

Yep :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Apparently it's tradition in some parts of the country for publicans to paint their pubs on Good Friday.

Have to do it on xmas day now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Apparently it's tradition in some parts of the country for publicans to paint their pubs on Good Friday.

Have to do it on xmas day now.

There is no obligation on them to open! The pub in my parents village only opens on weekends now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This is a very weak argument.

The issue with the drinking culture , which I agree is a serious societal issue, is not impacted by the decision to remove the alcohol ban on Good Friday.

For me it was the issue of choice and also of having a religious ethos imposed on people.

The ban annoyed me so much that I always made a point of having a drink on the day but now that the pub is open I'll probably not bother but at least I will have the choice. I think that's why a lot of people made a point of drinking on Good Friday as well.

The availability of alcohol is not the problem with drink in Ireland. The time restrictions in pubs and off licences serve no actual purpose but to inconvenience people such as those out shopping before 10.30am that cannot buy wine for an evening meal or a few beers to watch a match at home. The reality is that those with drink issues who require alcohol daily before 10.30amm (and 12.30pm on Sunday, why?) will have made alternative arrangements, just like everybody else did for Good Friday.

The real issue is the attitude to drink and having every single social occasion in Irish life revolving around drink and binge drinking in order to get drunk.

Having a pub open on one extra Friday in the year will not change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭daheff

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    There has to be some sort of game there about 'lashing' pints

Open your easter egg early, bite the top off, fill with alcohol & drink 😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭daheff

jonnycivic wrote: »
    WTF falls on Dec 6th?

6th / 8th

Dunno which one is the religious one we used to get off, & the culchies go Xmas shopping

Which is my point (in a way). Tradition is gone fir this day as nobody really remembers!!

• Advertisement

Oh dear, no more drama anymore and people who normally have a few drinks at home on a Friday anyway making a big deal of having to 'stock up' on cans at 10pm on Holy Thursday.

Another Irish tradition gone :(

Also, profits in Irish Rail will be down big time this year- no need to buy a ticket just so you can drink in the station bar :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

murpho999 wrote: »
    Good decision this.

Our laws should not be dictated by old church demands that they don't even demand any more.

The Church never demanded it in the first place . It was the brainchild of some holier than thou TD's .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

SPDUB wrote: »
    The Church never demanded it in the first place . It was the brainchild of some holier than thou TD's .

Quit it will you facts have no place in an argument such as this.:D

The VFI (Vintners Federation of Ireland) does not let facts get in their way in their crusade against so called below cost selling and binge drinking.

Now repeat the mantra and if you need help the VFI (Vintners Federation of Ireland) will be there to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,980 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm going to miss the kick I'd get watching the news to see the stags and hens wandering around temple bar moaning about the pubs closed

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Stop now shushhh.....some of them think they’ve given a good kicking to the Bishops and you don’t want to spoil that for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

Stop now shushhh.....some of them think they’ve given a good kicking to the Bishops and you don’t want to spoil that for them.

never-underestimate-the-power-of-stupid-people-in-large-groups.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Publicans are free to close on any day of the year they choose, but incredibly they choose not to. Removing a religiously-motivated ban is a good thing in general, as a small section of society should not be dictating to the rest how they live.

People are free to either drink on Good Friday or not, and publicans are free to open, or not. Choice is great.

This happens in many facets of life. It was a small section of society, the vintners, that championed the lifting of the ban and the herd followed.

People were always free and always had the choice to drink on Good Friday. The law prevented the sales of alcohol on Good Friday. That law did have a religious origin but so what. Their are lots of traditions throughout the World that have their origins in religion, paganism, commerce, sport, community etc. Our most recent Bank Holiday; the May Bank Holiday has it's tradition in the Workers Union movement.

As far as I know we are the only country to have had the ban by law on Good Friday. I like the uniqueness of that. I enjoy the day with or without drink.

The argument in favour of tourism is BS. It won't effect tourism positively one bit. IMO there are more restrictions in other countries because of traditions than here. It's not like Spanish tourism suffers because they have siesta every day plus they have more religious festivals than we do which sees the closure of many institutions including bars. Anyhow, we always look to the tourist in this country. 'What will the tourists think?' We consider the tourist in terms of litter, public transport etc. It's like we have some sort of insecurity complex. It should never be about the tourist in those instances. Fix it for ourselves and we'll accommodate the tourist too.

Back to the lifting of the ban... I do think it will mean the day will become a regular Friday and the unofficial 'Day Off' will slowly diminish. I also think that ultimately it will probably have the opposite effect on drink sales over time. Off Sales will drop and within 2-3 years it will be another quiet pub day in the bars too.

Back to tourism again... Going down the country on Good Friday just won't be the same anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Inquiring Thursday buyers want to know.

And why were the TDs hoier than thou?

Church influence of course.

The church didn't wield its powers publicly in the Dail they used other methods.

Either way the archaic laws we have faced over, licencing laws,divorce, abortion, contraception all come directly or indirectly through the power of religion and church influence which should not be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

The church didn't wield its powers publicly in the Dail they used other methods.

Either way the archaic laws we have faced over, licencing laws,divorce, abortion, contraception all come directly or indirectly through the power of religion and church influence which should not be the case.

And if it wasn't for those pesky monks we probably wouldn't have had beer in the first place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well the fact that one TD described himself as a catholic first and an irishman second shows how big a grip the church had over this country. I was told by a man in his 70s, that in Ireland at one point it was the the GAA, the catholic church, and FF that ruled the country.

And if it wasn't for those pesky monks we probably wouldn't have had beer in the first place!

Not true at all. They didn't invent beer. Beer dates back as far as 8000 BC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Not true at all. They didn't invent beer. Beer dates back as far as 8000 BC.

They didn't invent education or healthcare either, but religious orders provided both and continue to do so at levels the state would never have been able to provide on its own. Im not religious, but they've actually done a huge amount of good in the development of the country and population. A lot of bad too, but can't ignore one or the other.

Hoboo wrote: »
    They didn't invent education or healthcare either, but religious orders provided both and continue to do so at levels the state would never have been able to provide on its own. Im not religious, but they've actually done a huge amount of good in the development of the country and population. A lot of bad too, but can't ignore one or the other.

Who was discussing that?

The fact remains they did not invent alcohol as claimed by the poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Hoboo wrote: »

The German Nazi regime and the Romans did a lot of good for their respective empire also. Doesn't mean they deserve any credit because of the horrible acts they caused.

You can rape our children and take advantage of our most vulnerable as long as you provide a few schools where you can then beat pour children or homes where you can take our pregnant daughters and sell their children................

Get a grip. The church did nothing for the good of the people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Shouldn't the mods just merge the two Good Friday drinking threads together.? :confused:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,710 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

jonnycivic wrote: »
    We did what now exactly?

Beat the ****ing religious. Now we can move on to education....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Pubs are open one more Friday of the year.
    Woohoo.

I only drink when Jesus is dead. I've been waiting 2000 years for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭worded

It’s just another plain Friday now. I enjoyed being told what not to do and doing what ever I wanted anyway. All the spontaneity and scheming and sniffing out a alt or party is gone. The break from the norm is gone

Part of the appeal of irish pubs is they close at hours before the country could descends into chaos. But if they opened 24/7 there would be less craic in the pubs

It was a one day traditional spanner thrown in the works that I will miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

In honour of the stations of the cross, the Vinters Association are proud to announce the 14 pubs of Good Friday.
    If you fall along the way, someone will carry you the rest of the way!

Beat the ****ing religious. Now we can move on to education....

Lol! You honestly believe there was any clergy who care one way or the other about wether you get drunk at home or in a pub!
    Talk about having an imaginary argument with yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

doolox wrote: »
    Inquiring Thursday buyers want to know.

The bill was re s.2 and the blanket restriction on all premises selling alcohol on Good Friday...so likewise repealing should permit all premises to sell alcohol :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

And yet, in European terms we are mid table in alcohol consumption and falling year on year.

I’m shook now, don't know whether to believe an internet kook or the cold hard facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,710 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Lol! You honestly believe there was any clergy who care one way or the other about wether you get drunk at home or in a pub!
    Talk about having an imaginary argument with yourself!

Ah, but I never said "clergy" - I said the "****ing religious". There's a difference!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Ah, but I never said "clergy" - I said the "****ing religious". There's a difference!

Yeah, the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth went on long into the night Princess.

Advertisement