Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pubs to open on Good Friday

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

As the other poster says it’s how worked up people get over it that is hard to understand.

Then why are people getting so worked up about wanting to keep the bars closed?

The only thing that changes is people who wanna go to the bar can. The ones who don't won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Mr.H wrote: »
    Then why are people getting so worked up about wanting to keep the bars closed?

The only thing that changes is people who wanna go to the bar can. The ones who don't won't.

I'm not worked up about it. If pubs are going to be open on Good Friday fine. It's all the angst around it, people making a point of having parties on Good Friday or stocking up on extra alcohol or going out of their way to find places that would serve them that I never really understood.
    It was a minor inconvenience to most people, but it was made into this big thing. And now some people are acting as if it's a great blow for freedom and democracy that the pubs will now be opening on Good Friday. It just seems a bit senseless and childish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

It’s hilarious how many people here seem to think that this ban was lifted simply as a F-You to religion and because we’ve now a progressive, secular Ireland and no longer shackled to the church

Certainly, we’re getting there, but the real truth is that it was done to appease the Publican lobby groups. The irony of a State, who wants to introduce a minimum unit price on alcohol and hide it behind curtains in shops, actually lifting a one-day drink ban, with no public pressure, is amazing.

It was lifted purely because Easter Thursday is easily the busiest day of the year for Off-Licences, and the Publicans simply weren’t happy with that. Tourism? Firstly, have you guys seen how much a tourist drinks – and besides, most tourists stay in hotels. You were always able to get drinks on Good Friday (with a meal) in a hotel.

The net result of all of this is that over the next couple of years, Good Friday will become a normal Friday and anyone who previously enjoyed an unofficial day off work or whatever, will probably be expected to work. And yeah, we can all still have house parties and get the beers in, but honestly, we can do that any time now, so why bother doing it on Good Friday? The charm of it was that we had no choice, and there was an excited panic about it in the days beforehand. It was a bit of fun, a bit of tradition.

That’s all gone, but most galling, the Publicans win again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Yes.

Perhaps we should compel all businesses to close for one day a year so the staff can go on a jolly-up together.

So abolish bank holidays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

ShooterSF wrote: »
    So abolish bank holidays?

Did I say that? Loads of businesses are open on bank holidays. No one is compelled to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

splinter65 wrote: »
    For a lot of public servants Dec 8 was and continues to be yet another extra days annual leave.
    A day to get your Christmas shopping.
    My brother a public servant retired there at 55 last year and he still got it, but he was still getting an hour off per week to cash his pay Cheque too, despite being paid monthly by electronic transfer.

The hour to cash your cheque is long gone over 5 years. Since I started in Revenue we never got the 6th or 8th whichever it was off as an extra day (except teachers if kids off). We used to get day after st. Stephens day but noþ anymore. I started in 2007. Never got cheque time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭mistersifter

A Disgrace wrote: »
    It’s hilarious how many people here seem to think that this ban was lifted simply as a F-You to religion and because we’ve now a progressive, secular Ireland and no longer shackled to the church

Certainly, we’re getting there, but the real truth is that it was done to appease the Publican lobby groups. The irony of a State, who wants to introduce a minimum unit price on alcohol and hide it behind curtains in shops, actually lifting a one-day drink ban, with no public pressure, is amazing.

It was lifted purely because Easter Thursday is easily the busiest day of the year for Off-Licences, and the Publicans simply weren’t happy with that. Tourism? Firstly, have you guys seen how much a tourist drinks – and besides, most tourists stay in hotels. You were always able to get drinks on Good Friday (with a meal) in a hotel.

The net result of all of this is that over the next couple of years, Good Friday will become a normal Friday and anyone who previously enjoyed an unofficial day off work or whatever, will probably be expected to work. And yeah, we can all still have house parties and get the beers in, but honestly, we can do that any time now, so why bother doing it on Good Friday? The charm of it was that we had no choice, and there was an excited panic about it in the days beforehand. It was a bit of fun, a bit of tradition.
    That’s all gone, but most galling, the Publicans win again.

How could you be charmed by someone taking away your freedom to choose to do something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

STUPID ALCOS F%&K OFF ðŸ˜

It's a disgrace, one day. ONE BLOODY DAY.. and people fought for this....
    PÍSS HEADS....

The hour to cash your cheque is long gone over 5 years. Since I started in Revenue we never got the 6th or 8th whichever it was off as an extra day (except teachers if kids off). We used to get day after st. Stephens day but noþ anymore. I started in 2007. Never got cheque time

It was only half an hour and has been gone for years. There was never a time within living memory when Civil Servants got the 8th December off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Thing is all the people who find it wrong that the pubs will be open on Good Friday have already lost the argument as the legislation has now been passed and from now on the pubs will be open and those who want to drink may legally do so and those who don't want to may also choose not to, and there is absolutely nothing that these people can do about it except post ridiculous arguments on internet forums.

This year it will be novelty to have the pubs open but by Easter 2019 it will feel complete normal, just like the smoking ban, divorce, contraception, gay marriage etc .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

How could you be charmed by someone taking away your freedom to choose to do something?

The freedom to be blotto every day of the year in a pub.

It’s nice that we’ve moved on as a nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Did I say that? Loads of businesses are open on bank holidays. No one is compelled to close.

Not forced to close, but they are compelled to because of bank holidays.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Thing is all the people who find it wrong that the pubs will be open on Good Friday have already lost the argument as the legislation has now been passed and from now on the pubs will be open and those who want to drink may legally do so and those who don't want to may also choose not to, and there is absolutely nothing that these people can do about it except post ridiculous arguments on internet forums.

This year it will be novelty to have the pubs open but by Easter 2019 it will feel complete normal, just like the smoking ban, divorce, contraception, gay marriage etc .

Sure it’s up there with those major social issues. You forgot the end of slavery. The chartist movement. The suffragettes.

Although I noticed that while most of your list was an increase in liberty, the smoking ban was a prohibition. Odd juxtaposition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

As the other poster says it’s how worked up people get over it that is hard to understand.

Given the history of the church in this country, it's not surprising if some people want its role reduced as much as possible.

It's all about principle. If you want to be religious and abstain from drink on Good Friday, then have at it, more power to you.
    But I've always thought it ignorant in the extreme to foist religious beliefs on non-adherents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

There's a lot of pubs who can't afford to not open on a Friday these days. Also the religious connotations don't sit well with me. I'm happy about this.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Given the history of the church in this country, it's not surprising if some people want its role reduced as much as possible.

It's all about principle. If you want to be religious and abstain from drink on Good Friday, then have at it, more power to you.
    But I've always thought it ignorant in the extreme to foist religious beliefs on non-adherents.

Except Christmas. Etc. And other religious holidays that shut down offices.

Anyway the main reason to oppose this is because the supporters are basically fighting to get even more drunk in pubs. Mother Ireland may have thrown off the shackles of the church but not the vintners.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the vast majority of people in this country were mostly indifferent to the pubs being closed on Good Friday. Some liked all the melodrama of finding ways around it, some liked the tradition of it, but most people barely noticed. If they wanted a drink they had one at home, if they were religious they didn't drink on Good Friday but didn't go around preaching to others that they shouldn't or refusing to sit in the same room as someone having a glass of wine. It just wasn't that big a deal to most people, bar the publicans who have lobbied for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sure it’s up there with those major social issues. You forgot the end of slavery. The chartist movement. The suffragettes.

Although I noticed that while most of your list was an increase in liberty, the smoking ban was a prohibition. Odd juxtaposition

I was referring specifically to Irish issues from Ireland's recent past that people thought would be bad for our society but have been the opposite.

The smoking ban was a hugely controversial issue but now I would say the vast majority of people now see it as normal and would not go back.

Same as the other issues I mentioned.

The freedom to be blotto every day of the year in a pub.

It’s nice that we’ve moved on as a nation.

It's nice that we've moved on from being under the thumb of the catholic church.

Gay marriage, divorce, upcoming abortion, discrimination in schools, etc

The church has opposed every single attempt to remove bigotry, inequality, and restrictions on civil liberties in our society. Every single one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

ShooterSF wrote:
    Not forced to close, but they are compelled to because of bank holidays.

No they are not. Businesses are encouraged to open on bank holidays

Except Christmas. Etc. And other religious holidays that shut down offices.

Anyway the main reason to oppose this is because the supporters are basically fighting to get even more drunk in pubs. Mother Ireland may have thrown off the shackles of the church but not the vintners.

I hate xmas. Do away with it please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I've worked in the civil service for over 20 years and NEVER got 8th December off. We did get an unofficial half day bonus that could be taken in the run up to Christmas Day, but that's long since gone.

Back on topic: In a couple of years time no-one will remember the fuss over the alcohol sales rule. I know I'll be in the pub this year on Good Friday, but I'll still be a little bit sad that tradition has gone. I am not remotely religious as both my parents were atheists!

I always enjoyed the house party on Good Friday, it seemed somehow more exciting than a normal house party!

It's nice that we've moved on from being under the thumb of the catholic church.

Gay marriage, divorce, upcoming abortion, discrimination in schools, etc

The church has opposed every single attempt to remove bigotry and inequality in our society. Every single one.

It’s really not equivalent. What is the bigotry and inequality in closing a pub? Your right to get blotto on the one day of the year you couldn’t in a pub is hardly a libertarian issue worth fighting for.

I hate xmas. Do away with it please.

Hi. No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

PÍSS HEADS....

Ha ha! I don't think I've ever gotten cans to spite the ban or been to one of these apparent ubiquitous house parties. I still disagreed with religion having s say though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

PÍSS HEADS....

U ok Hun? Xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

This Good Friday, I'm going to the pub and I'm going to get absolutely wasted out of sheer principle.

The Flying Spaghetti Monster, all praise be his Noodles, shall surely rejoice that we are moving away from the Christian dark ages.

May the Grog flow for all who would want it, whenever they should want to lend praise to our saucy lord!

RAmen!

You in your first year of college or what's the craic? Too much sassy edge here.

It’s really not equivalent. What is the bigotry and inequality in closing a pub? Your right to get blotto on the one day of the year you couldn’t in a pub is hardly a libertarian issue worth fighting for.

If we as a society really want the separation of church and state, in all things, then that needs to be fought for, in all the small victories you can take.

aidoh wrote: »
    You in your first year of college or what's the craic? Too much sassy edge here.

Just spreading the good word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

If we as a society really want the separation of church and state, in all things, then that needs to be fought for, in all the small victories you can take.

Thank God for the VFI

• Advertisement

I'm welling up with emotion here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

It's funny that when off licences were more expensive the pubs didn't want Good Friday opening, now that offies are a bit cheaper opening is a must.
    I think I won't go to either premises this year, might go north and give money to the British exechequer instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The days of the moaning threads about pub closures on GF are now gone.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

RIP.

Cue the moaning threads about pub openings on GF... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

The funny (and possibly ironic) thing about this is that, once the novelty will have worn off after the first year, I wouldn't be at all surprised if people ended up drinking a whole lot less on Good Friday than they do now.
    It'll just be another Friday, there won't be that "sticking it to the man" thing of absolutely having to get sloshed beyond all reason at home, just because they won't allow you to go to the pub.

RIP.

The posters will have now to double up on how they are eating meat and sticking it to them.

Shenshen wrote: »
    The funny (and possibly ironic) thing about this is that, once the novelty will have worn off after the first year, I wouldn't be at all surprised if people ended up drinking a whole lot less on Good Friday than they do now.
    It'll just be another Friday, there won't be that "sticking it to the man" thing of absolutely having to get sloshed beyond all reason at home, just because they won't allow you to go to the pub.

I wonder how many there are who are sticking it to the man I would say outside these threads there are very few and while there be an upsurge for 1 year it will not be that many.

And while they think yes we have 1 the real winners the VFI will be laughing all the way to the bank with this an minimum pricinh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭mistersifter

the smoking ban WAS an "increase in liberty" i.e. for people who dont smoke and should be able to work in or go to pubs without having to breathe in toxic ****e made by others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

PÍSS HEADS....

Are you drunk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

This is what makes the mind boggle....it's both astounding and pathetic that people give such unimportant things even a second thought

But then...if people didn't have the church to blame and "stick it too " what would they do??

Imagine if in some crazy world people began to challenge the Government regards the HSE or public transport.. imagine we had actual active citizens who cared about important matters and was willing to engage and challenge the government on key social issues. Imagine that

Nope..it's easier to organise pub crawls on good Friday.... theres not a facepalm big enough to display just how juvenile this type of behaviour is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I know of a few pubs that are staying closed, my local in Harolds Cross being one

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I know of a few pubs that are staying closed, my local in Harolds Cross being one
    I'm sure over the next few years each pub will work out whether or not it's worth their while opening on Good Friday or not.

The important thing is they have the choice now, and people have the choice to go to the pub or not. I'm sure lots will open and lots will stay closed.

Everyone is a winner, except for the zealots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

awec wrote: »
    I'm sure over the next few years each pub will work out whether or not it's worth their while opening on Good Friday or not.

The important thing is they have the choice now, and people have the choice to go to the pub or not. I'm sure lots will open and lots will stay closed.

Everyone is a winner, except for the zealots.

Well, and the Off Licenses. I expect they will see a drastic reduction in pre-Good Friday sales now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

It's funny that when off licences were more expensive the pubs didn't want Good Friday opening...
    Citation needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I wonder how many there are who are sticking it to the man I would say outside these threads there are very few and while there be an upsurge for 1 year it will not be that many.

The pubs in Limerick were packed with people from all over for the Munster match on Good Friday and most of them had no interest in rugby.

I hope Rté go out on the streets that day and interview all the Alcos as they cue up all excited for the opening of the pubs.. PÍSS HEADS.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I hope Rté go out on the streets that day and interview all the Alcos as they cue up all excited for the opening of the pubs.. PÍSS HEADS.....

Uyzdxlu.gif

As a good Irish Catholic, I think it's a disgrace shame on 'whomever' passed this or had a hand in it!?
    I hope these people don't show their faces at any family Catholic Church christenings, weddings, funerals etc etc
    It should have been put to a vote instead of totally disrespecting the Catholic Church like that.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I haven't been in a pub since before Christmas, so makes no difference to me. I like a few cans at home on a Friday night. The od occasion to the pub.
    If people want to go to a pub on Good Friday, let them on, if they don't, don't go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I for one am glad this silly law is repealed. What we can learn from this is not to be in any hurry to pass laws on any but the most important and urgent issues in our society. We have witnessed how non drinkers and uninterested people have advocated spending Dail time on other more important issues and not to "waste" time on repealing an archaic, eccentric and outdated section of a law that should never have been passed in the first place.

Attempting to enforce respect for one religious tradition by use of temporal force ( ie. the Gardai being made to carry out a Churches job for them) is wrong. I suspect that the Church wanted to increase attendance at its overly long and tedious Good Friday Ceremonies by closing down all possible forms of competition for the publics attention. Many modern clergy that have been interviewed on this subject have either expressed no support for the law or do not see it as a useful thing to retain in a pluralist society.

The big lesson to be learned in all this is how hard it is to repeal stupid laws once passed and the more you yield to a Government the more it wants. Some people have to learn to say "NO" to increasing government demands for more and more rules and demands on our freedoms and liberties.

I recall that Parish Priests used to demand that pubs close down on Christmas Eve earlier than normal to prevent drunk people attending Midnight Mass. One publican in my village took a look at the laws and found out that normal opening hours applied to Christmas Eve. He opened to the normal hours and created an avalanche effect the following year in that all the other pubs except one opened up as well. The Priest was very angry but could do nothing about it. The local Bishop was not averse to a few drinks himself and stayed out of the argument. The rebel publicans view of clerical interference in his trade is unprintable but robust..........

Advertisement