Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pubs to open on Good Friday

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just walked down George’s st and along some of dame st. (City centre of Dublin). Any pub I passed was not particularly busy. Usual Friday afternoon custom it looks like. Nothing too exciting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Reati wrote: »
    Yeah, totally get how hard it is to get a few drinks in before the planned event (i'm sure they didn't rock into work this morning and say lets all stay late and play games this evening)... :D

Nobody’s going to rock into work in the morning with a bag of cans. AND, they don’t know if they’ll need more booze. The few drinks provided might be enough. So they have the option there depending on how the night develops.

Point completely missed by your good self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

In a pub right now having an Arthur, not particularly busy. Pint doesn't taste as nice as I'd anticipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

In a pub right now having an Arthur, not particularly busy. Pint doesn't taste as nice as I'd anticipated.

It's Arthurs day your thinking of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Yeah, totally get how hard it is to get a few drinks in before the planned event (i'm sure they didn't rock into work this morning and say lets all stay late and play games this evening)... :D

Yeah, I'm really on for bringing cans, and maybe a bottle of spirits, maybe a mixer, into a work environment.

Being able to nip to the shop after work for a couple of cans, and then maybe later if I want more, is a much more grown up decision.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yeah, I'm really on for bringing cans, and maybe a bottle of spirits, maybe a mixer, into a work environment.

Being able to nip to the shop after work for a couple of cans, and then maybe later if I want more, is a much more grown up decision.

The office i work in has a couple of beer taps in the canteen. Regular after work drinks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Dropped in for one myself at my local, place was deserted apart from an elderly man at the bar who was verbally abusive. The drunkard wanted me to lend him money.

Stupid old drunken goat is going to get himself floored one of these days.

Stheno wrote: »
    The office i work in has a couple of beer taps in the canteen. Regular after work drinks

That's cool. I worked in an environment that shifted E40,000 in alcohol sales a week.

I still don't want to have to bring a quantity of alcohol onto the premises, at 8am, for an event that might happen at 7pm.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Im in the pub to watch the rugbý

Its quieter than a normal Friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Still early

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,142 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Its a normal Friday so closing time is 12.30

Publicans can close at any time they want before 12:30.

Some, perhaps many, will choose 11:30pm... especially if they expect it to be quiet.

And yes , some bookies chains have chosen not to open today. Totally their choice AFAIK.

I forgot it was Good Friday, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Point completely missed by your good self.

Not at all, just ridiculing it because it's a silly point of view that it's hard to plan for a day when it's was widely known alcohol was unavailable for sale. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

Says more about the attitudes of people towards Alcohol in your workplace than anything.

Shur couldn't just leave it in my locker, we'd have to drink it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 fattymoon

Dropped in for one myself at my local, place was deserted apart from an elderly man at the bar who was verbally abusive. The drunkard wanted me to lend him money.

Stupid old drunken goat is going to get himself floored one of these days.

Lol. Sounds like my kinda pub!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

are the off licences open, like in the supermarkets etc.. ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

It's weird cause it don't feel like Good Friday. Being an Athiest I'm quite happy about that.

Every workplace is different. Some of mine would not have been okay with booze being around.

Not at all, just ridiculing it because it's a silly point of view that it's hard to plan for a day when it's was widely known alcohol was unavailable for sale. :D

Not silly at all. What I said makes sense. Nobody knows if it’s going to be a bacchanal or not. Nobody wants to bring booze into work before 9am. There’s freedom now for it to develop how it will. If the ban was still in place, they likely wouldn’t have had this event.

You not wanting to take my point doesn’t make my point a silly one. It more likely just means you’re obdurate.

So shove your ridicule up your chocolate starfish. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Well looks like the pubs will be closed good friday once more.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well looks like the pubs will be closed good friday once more.

Only right. They will be closed on St Patricks Day too now as well do. Maybe we should make this a yearly thing. Have them closed on them two days all the time.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Even the churches will not be open on Good Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

AMKC wrote: »
    Only right. They will be closed on St Patricks Day too now as well do. Maybe we should make this a yearly thing. Have them closed on them two days all the time.

They are open far too often really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭seven of nine

Better go before then, to get forgiven for your sins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Should just close them permanently and put thousands out of work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I hope not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

branie2 wrote: »
    I hope not!

They will be open for prayer but with some churches services will be livestreamed as many were y'day. Killarney Cathedral are livestreaming Mass every day this week. Wonderful for us "regular" housebound folk . riches!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Churches are remaining open every day. There are just no public masses. We can visit the church to pray any time we wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

My folks got mass piped in on the tablet we gave them.

They were only delighted. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

the churches or the pubs? :D

• Advertisement

I might watch the Passion of the Christ on DVD to mark the day then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I might watch the Passion of the Christ on DVD to mark the day then.

Or Song for a Raggy Boy. Both seem to cover events the Church are most known for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Ah... the good Friday threads

Remember how people with a drink problem would use them as a way to deflect by telling people they must be alcoholics if they can't hack the pubs being closed for one day.

The most classic of all was the way Nox would lecture people who didn't observe it/agree with it. :D

razorblunt wrote: »
    Or Song for a Raggy Boy. Both seem to cover events the Church are most known for.

They are not responsible for both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

With the pubs still open in the North I'd expect an exodus to there tomorrow from the border counties similar to what used to happen on Good Fridays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

With the pubs still open in the North I'd expect an exodus to there tomorrow from the border counties similar to what used to happen on Good Fridays.

Being along the border myself and from talking to neighbours about keeping ourselves safe and healthy, I don't think there will be many seeking out a pub anywhere any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Molly Malones in Temple Bar taking a hammering on social media for that video of them open and the bouncer announcing his own laws. They're down from 4.7 on Google reviews to 1.6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Molly Malones in Temple Bar taking a hammering on social media for that video of them open and the bouncer announcing his own laws. They're down from 4.7 on Google reviews to 1.6

Delighted for them, that was a own goal if there ever was one.
    Never mind your man and his laws with strobe light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Good. Fcuk em, and that bouncer.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

razorblunt wrote: »

The Church are known for the Spanish Civil War and the acting career of Aidan Quinn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's where the back of the Mezz used to be isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Link??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Not to drag this off topic, I would guess most punters, if not all punters in Mollys and The Temple Bar were tourists? So they potentially go back where they are from carrying a virus....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Granadino wrote: »
    Not to drag this off topic, I would guess most punters, if not all punters in Mollys and The Temple Bar were tourists? So they potentially go back where they are from carrying a virus....

Tourists lean heavily on reviews on TripAdvisor, Google and the like. Last night's trading could end up sinking them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

AMKC wrote: »

What a ridiculous suggestion.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,505 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Molly Malones Temple Bar
    Tourists lean heavily on reviews on TripAdvisor, Google and the like. Last night's trading could end up sinking them.

All google reviews deleted from the last week. (Sort by newest)

https://www.google.com/search?q=Molly+Malones+in+Temple+Bar&oq=Molly+Malones+in+Temple+Bar&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#lrd=0x48670f858500db4b:0x8eb8ca9a1b21ac83,1,,,

Facebook page deleted

https://www.facebook.com/mollymalonestemplebar/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

They are not responsible for both

One more so than the other!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

MOH wrote: »
    Should just close them permanently and put thousands out of work

Be grand once they have a bit more time off

Advertisement