Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mum of 4 jailed for stealing €100k from the social

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I never said it wasn't. The money should be recovered, but you can't make an old woman homeless even if she committed fraud. Let her pay back whatever amount she can from now on and put a lien on the house and get the money back from her estate when the time comes, stick interest on it to cover inflation and whatnot.

She's a fraudster, no question about that but my point was that it doesn't make her akin to Christy Kinahan - and I stand by that, it just doesn't!

That's what I mean by a crime is a crime is a crime. All crimes are not created equal, this lady is very much toward the lower end of the criminal scale if you ask me.

Why you bring Christy Kinehan into it is beyond me . It is just irrelevant .

She committed long-term premeditated fraud , that is all you need to know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Grayson wrote: »
    You're equating her crime with the crime of stealing billions. They're not. Stealing isn't all the same. In this case we can see that 100,000 isn't the same as 1,000,000,000

She should be tried and found guilty but the sentence doesn't have to be overly harsh.

We do have a justice system that takes motivations into account. And the level of crime committed too. Plus the system is designed to ask what good would society get from locking up the woman.

Well I would tend to agree with you. Theft out of necessity doesn't equate to theft out of greed or theft out of revenge. Then there is the condition known as kleptomania where the perpetrator doesn't even know why they steal.

But I was just responding to the usual mouth-frother with his predictable effort at shoe-horning "lefties" into every discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

marienbad wrote: »
    Why you bring Christy Kinehan into it is beyond me . It is just irrelevant .

She committed long-term premeditated fraud , that is all you need to know

I'm bringing Christy Kinahan into because due to some of the pitchfork wielding hysterics going on, you would be forgiven for thinking this woman was a dangerous crime lord, a menace to society, not just some old dear who fiddled a few bob to get by!

She committed a fraud, yes. She got caught. They should take the money back, maybe even slap a percentage on as a penalty - end of story.

At the risk of repeating myself - she's not Christy Kinahan!

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2018/0129/936788-music-teacher-welfare-fraud/

So this guy commits an almost identical fraud - he stole €175,000 over 12 years using a dual identity versus Maria Redmond who stole €100,000 over 13 years using a dual identity - but the sentences are dramatically different.

She gets 10 months, he gets 42 months. Where is the consistency?

His lawyer must have missed a few tricks, the article does not mention a sob story. Surely he could have come from a broken home, suffered from gluten intolerance or some other "mitigating factor" that our judges seem to love hearing about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

jackal wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2018/0129/936788-music-teacher-welfare-fraud/

So this guy commits an almost identical fraud - he stole €175,000 over 12 years using a dual identity versus Maria Redmond who stole €100,000 over 13 years using a dual identity - but the sentences are dramatically different.

She gets 10 months, he gets 42 months. Where is the consistency?

His lawyer must have missed a few tricks, the article does not mention a sob story. Surely he could have come from a broken home, suffered from gluten intolerance or some other "mitigating factor" that our judges seem to love hearing about.

Well she pleaded guilty for a kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Well she pleaded guilty for a kick off.

Right I missed that, thanks for pointing it out. That would obviously make a big difference. Good enough for him!

Advertisement