Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bus Changes to Improve City Center Journeys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Bus gate on Bachelor's walk is just being flat out ignored by motorists, it's full of cars. Taxis are al over college green, no enforcement. Cameras and massive fines and penalty points please. If a private company was allowed do it and collect the fine revenue, I'd invest in the morning, you'd make a mint.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

My regular morning bus has become dangerously crammed in recent months too. Bus jam packed most days during the week, and one of the days an inspector was on board. Bus wasn't crammed so much, and the driver drove past some stops ignoring passengers.

Anyway, I just want to vent how bad service has gotten, especially in the last 6 months. I've had to switch to an earlier bus this week as I was consistently late for work by 15-20 minutes in the mornings and my patience was waning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

My regular morning bus has become dangerously crammed in recent months too. Bus jam packed most days during the week, and one of the days an inspector was on board. Bus wasn't crammed so much, and the driver drove past some stops ignoring passengers.

Anyway, I just want to vent how bad service has gotten, especially in the last 6 months. I've had to switch to an earlier bus this week as I was consistently late for work by 15-20 minutes in the mornings and my patience was waning.

Contact db and the nta.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Contact db and the nta.

Have done on Monday evening, DB just acknowledge it's got increased demand. NTA no reply (yet).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

What would the appropriate reaction be for the Driver ?

Would you appreciate,as a passenger ON the Bus,if the driver stopped at each stop to inform intending passengers,that the bus was full,and they could not board ?

The Bus Atha Cliath Fleet is a full peak capacity,and then some,with one contribtory factor being the decision to specify lower capacity vehicles as replacements for the old single-door vehicles.

Far more thought is required as to Bus specfification in Dublin,as 64 seater vehicles are currently,not fit-for-purpose,one possible inprovement would be the immediate removal of the flip-down seating,which tends to limit buggy & wheelchair access as well as reducing standing space at peak times.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

thomasj wrote: »
    I tweeted aa roadwatch earlier to see did they get any reports , they said they heard nothing

What's worrying is the fact that we aren't really hearing all that much about the horrific experience people are having on Dublin Bus routes. It's all about the Luas, but Dublin Bus passengers have been putting up with a deteriorating service for many months now.
    cgcsb wrote: »
    Bus gate on Bachelor's walk is just being flat out ignored by motorists, it's full of cars. Taxis are al over college green, no enforcement. Cameras and massive fines and penalty points please. If a private company was allowed do it and collect the fine revenue, I'd invest in the morning, you'd make a mint.

I just cannot understand why the Traffic Corps are not out contentiously on the quays, O'Connell Bridge and at College Green to enforce the bus lanes and restrictions on taxis / motorists. The enforcement is patchy.

I actually saw a Garda let off a driver who was turning right from O'Connell Bridge onto the north quays just last week. He had a word with her, she must have had a sob story and had a big smiley head on her as soon as the Garda turned his back. It's a joke. The same is happening on College Green.

I'm regularly left waiting at the bus stop as full buses pass me by these days. I'm seriously concerned that the over-crowding will become significantly worse if the chaos on College Green isn't dealt with appropriately. I have no faith in Dublin Bus being able to re-route buses successfully, I foresee a drop in frequency which will have a significant impact on capacity.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    What would the appropriate reaction be for the Driver ?

Would you appreciate,as a passenger ON the Bus,if the driver stopped at each stop to inform intending passengers,that the bus was full,and they could not board ?

Sorry, should have been clear. My real point was 99% of the time drivers turn a blind eye to health and safety on buses. I was injured late last year because I fell with nothing to hold onto due to the crowded situation. Of course Dublin bus 'investigated' that and nothing was heard of since.

I would disagree with the "99% of Drivers" statement,but in terms of the Additional Passenger limit,it is suitably vague when one takes item (3) into consideration....

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1963/si/190/made/en/print
    80. (1) A person shall not, subject to the provisions of sub-articles (2) and (3) of this article, cause or permit the number of passengers carried on a vehicle to exceed the number of persons for which passenger accommodation is provided.

(2) If and so long as three or more children under the age of 15 years are being carried on the vehicle, the number of such children shall be deemed to be reduced by one-third for the purposes of calculating the number of passengers carried.

(3) During hours of peak traffic, or in circumstances in which undue hardship would be caused to intending passengers if they were not carried, a greater number of passengers than that permissible under sub-article (1) of this article may be carried on an omnibus, subject to the following limitations:

(a) no additional passengers may be carried by virtue of this sub-article in the upper deck of a double deck omnibus, or in an omnibus having passenger accommodation for less than 15 persons;

(b) no additional passengers may be carried by virtue of this sub-article at any time while the omnibus is exceeding a speed of 40 miles per hour;

(c) the additional number of passengers carried in a single deck omnibus by virtue of this sub-article shall not exceed in number 8, or one-quarter of the passenger accommodation of such omnibus, whichever is the less;

(d) the additional number of passengers carried in the lower deck of a double deck omnibus by virtue of this sub-article shall not exceed in number 8, or one-quarter of the passenger accommodation of such lower deck, whichever is the less.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,723 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I would disagree with the "99% of Drivers" statement,but in terms of the Additional Passenger limit,it is suitably vague when one takes item (3) into consideration....

Thanks for clearing that up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

I don't have to use the bus often but I did today. And the journey from Eden quay to college green took almost as long as the rest of the journey to Clondalkin.

I think it requires something radical such as banning cars from the Quays 7-9am and 4-7pm to get the city moving again. But I know its only in a fantasy world that something like this could happen..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I don't have to use the bus often but I did today. And the journey from Eden quay to college green took almost as long as the rest of the journey to Clondalkin.

I think it requires something radical such as banning cars from the Quays 7-9am and 4-7pm to get the city moving again. But I know its only in a fantasy world that something like this could happen..
    Yeah coming in the quays from the West, there has to be more traffic diverted north and south at the Four Courts.

There needs to be a North/South "thoroughfare" where busses have priority. Westland Row and Merrion Square West seems the obvious answer and has a perfect connection with Dart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭thomasj

The 55m luas trams have been removed from service following repeated breakdowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Hopefully Alstom will take these trams back and introduce some regular length Luas trams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭thomasj

AlekSmart wrote:

Just to point out I'm on a 39 on a VT just now at 9pm where there's over 20 people standing downstairs. The 39a that didn't stop for us 5 minutes earlier was the same

Just to point out I'm on a 39 on a VT just now at 9pm where there's over 20 people standing downstairs. The 39a that didn't stop for us 5 minutes earlier was the same

How many of those people were getting off after a few stops or so?

Buses need to stop being a bus to jaunt from one place and just down the road to somewhere else and let people who are actually going far out to get a bus
    I catch a variety of buses each week and I'm surprised by the amount of a certain class who will just get a bus from say O'Connell St to Dame St (and they are well able to walk)
    Should be one central stop in the city (maybe 2) then the bus is outta there and on it's way
    Buses like the number 15 and 16 (and there are a lot of them), why do they all need to stop at every stop in the city. Worst culprits are the ones stopping by the Central Bank and then again on Westmoreland St (geez walk people)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

fritzelly wrote: »

Buses need to stop being a bus to jaunt from one place and just down the road to somewhere else and let people who are actually going far out to get a bus

That's defeatist... Buses are for short hops too, it's just that in a proper system there are no driver interactions so the bus can move off fast, and multi door system prevents such crowding. Short hop trip does not need to generate delays or block doors, we just make it do so by sticking to an antiquated boarding system.

strandroad wrote: »
    That's defeatist... Buses are for short hops too, it's just that in a proper system there are no driver interactions so the bus can move off fast, and multi door system prevents such crowding. Short hop trip does not need to generate delays or block doors, we just make it do so by sticking to an antiquated boarding system.

Tell that to people who cannot get on a bus to get to a home that is 5 miles down the road and have to wait ages for another because there are 30 people getting off a few stops down the road because it was the first bus passing by that went that way
    Smaller buses should be doing the shipping around the city - doesn't need double deckers
    Several routes I've been on where once you are outside the central city limits the bus has been emptied out - that is just not efficient at all, not only for transporting the maximum number of people in the most efficient way but also the cost of moving people from one side of the city to the other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭bebeman

Isn't this what the NTA want to bring in, part of a improved customer service?

fritzelly wrote: »

I catch a variety of buses each week and I'm surprised by the amount of a certain class who will just get a bus from say O'Connell St to Dame St (and they are well able to walk)
    Should be one central stop in the city (maybe 2) then the bus is outta there and on it's way
    Buses like the number 15 and 16 (and there are a lot of them), why do they all need to stop at every stop in the city. Worst culprits are the ones stopping by the Central Bank and then again on Westmoreland St (geez walk people)

A valid point,and one which has been largely ignored over the years as the Commuting Public's needs developed and became more demanding.

There is a recognition that Dublin Bus has far too many Bustops,with very little actual pre-planning ever given towards their location and operation.

One of the first observations made by Jarrett Walker on his visits to Dublin,focused on the amount of Buses obstructing each other,as they attempted to access Bustops,often for a single passenger to utilise it.

It also has to be pointed out that the NTA's overview of it's Public Transport remit,involve the promotion and planning of Walking & Cycling as INTEGRAL elements of the PT experience.

Fewer Bustops,but better designed and constructed,with improved access and egress to and from these Stops is the way forward.

However,it has been shown previously,that what should be the simplest element in the entire area,a steel pole with a sign on top,is often THE most complex and difficult element to actually provide and utilize. :(

• Advertisement

These "Despatches from the Front-Line" should be serving as a warning to the NTA,that the entire schedule and service on that Corridor has failed...not is failing,or going to fail...it has failed and requires urgent attention NOW.

The Corridor requires additional capacity,in vehicular and staff terms,with an immediate requirement to resource a minimum of 25% extra departures after the traditional Peak Hours (A concept which continues to bedevil the provision of Bus Service frequency)

One MAJOR issue is that the agreement for Business Expansion,which allowed for the BMO tendering process to begin,was predicated upon usership statistics collated in :eek:2012:eek:....I would sincerly hope that these have been updated,but as of now,I cannot state this to be the case....If they haven't,then somebody needs to get working on it :eek:NOW !!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

One of the first observations made by Jarrett Walker on his visits to Dublin,focused on the amount of Buses obstructing each other,as they attempted to access Bustops,often for a single passenger to utilise it.

But it really is a Dublin thing, these bus stop traffic jams. It's down to the unique dwell time. In the likes of Lisbon, Rome etc. buses pull up, open all doors, people get in or out and the bus moves off in a matter of seconds. None of the pushing past other passengers through the single door/corridor, or paying the driver stuff. It's very rare to see more than two buses at a stop, they leave too quickly. It's not the short hop passengers fault that it takes so incredibly long to process them at the bus stop that other buses are held up.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Green party TD from Rathdown is calling for bus replacements because luas is overcrowded and unreliable. I wonder if us, the great unwashed, completely ignored bus commuters of West Dublin can have more busses to make up for the awful impact cross city luas has had on our already shoddy bus service too? Think I already know the answer to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

The mask slips again..

http://www.dublinpeople.com/news/roundup/articles/2018/03/19/4153582-comment-its-time-to-reclaim-college-green/

He claims that DCC does not have anti motor vehicle and a pro cycling agenda?

Bollox

This proves otherwise.

"For far too long, College Green has been dominated by traffic and noise and pollution from cars, trucks and buses. Of course, this plan should happen for environmental reasons and also so that we can hear ourselves speak over the sound of trucks and buses."

The hatred is there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

What’s wrong with having an anti motor vehicle agenda?

They cause noise pollution.

They cause air pollution.

They cause congestion.

They kill people through accidents as well as through air pollution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Zebra3 wrote: »

Unless you have attended every inquest into every road death, please do not use motorists as a scapegoat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Its purely an anti motor innovation which provides no alternative means of people getting from A to B.

Whats their obsession with wanting College Green? It wont offer any additional benefit to the city. It will be to small to hold any type of event, purpose, use and will have a Luas line and cycle track running through the centre of it.

Why not pedestrian O'Connell Street instead which would have a less effect on surrounding traffic flows. With all the major predestination street around the city none are actually connected to each other so whats the point.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    What’s wrong with having an anti motor vehicle agenda?

They cause noise pollution.

They cause air pollution.

They cause congestion.

Nothing wrong with an anti motor agenda. But it's completely wrong to have an anti bus agenda, which is clearly the case, as busses are the biggest public transport provider in the city. Zero consideration is being given to people who have no luas or dart, and who's only option is the bus. I bet if Keegan had to spend 80 minutes each way on a jam packed bus from western suburbs he'd change his opinion fairly quickly.

Banning buses from college green with no suitable alternative provided is completely wrong, and verging on discriminatory in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭trellheim

correct and right. The Plaza - on its own - sounds nice . So do the dedicated Cycle lanes ; but keeping the majority of the people moving efficiently though - on buses - keeps the city moving !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

prinzeugen wrote: »
    "For far too long, College Green has been dominated by traffic and noise and pollution from cars, trucks and buses. Of course, this plan should happen for environmental reasons and also so that we can hear ourselves speak over the sound of trucks and buses."

There's not a thing wrong with that statement, regardless if your mind is clouded towards one form of transport or another.

IE 222 wrote: »
    Its purely an anti motor innovation which provides no alternative means of people getting from A to B.

What's stopping people getting from A to B?

prinzeugen wrote: »
    The mask slips again..

http://www.dublinpeople.com/news/roundup/articles/2018/03/19/4153582-comment-its-time-to-reclaim-college-green/

He claims that DCC does not have anti motor vehicle and a pro cycling agenda?

Bollox

This proves otherwise.

The hatred is there

An anti-motor vehicle and pro cycling agenda you say? he has my vote. The current number of cars entering Dublin City Centre can be halved easily.

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with an anti motor agenda. But it's completely wrong to have an anti bus agenda, which is clearly the case, as busses are the biggest public transport provider in the city. Zero consideration is being given to people who have no luas or dart, and who's only option is the bus. I bet if Keegan had to spend 80 minutes each way on a jam packed bus from western suburbs he'd change his opinion fairly quickly.

Banning buses from college green with no suitable alternative provided is completely wrong, and verging on discriminatory in my opinion.

DCC and Dublin Bus should have used the 5 years of luas construction to put together a mobility plan that'd distrubute cross city buses to Gratten, Butt, Hacket, O'Connell and Father Mathew bridges providing drastically improved bus priority at each location and then proceed with the plaza which should have been completed by November 2017. Like everything in Ireland we have to wait for a perfectly predictable crisis to strike before anyone will do anything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Imagine when the NTA get their way and the VTs are replaced by GTs or GT-copies.

Plus as this service is (a) outside of the morning peak hours and (b) outside of office hours, then there is no chance it will be improved, noticed or looked at.

The 39A shouldn't go further south than Merrion Sq at a stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭trellheim

39 and 39a fill really rapidly in the core outbound , in addition a lot of tourists and cross-city users board at Bachelors walk inbound. Might there be a scope for a 39S .. ie one that stops short and turns round at Grattan Bridge, back out to Blanch but run it every 5 minutes with a full service 39 then every 15 ? many many commuters and users get off at Ormonde Quay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭ignorance is strength

Fintan O'Toole has made a similar argument in the IT. But the Dart only skirts the city centre; I don't know why users of adaptable buses should feel entitled to be dropped in the very centre of the city.

It seems to me that the principal problem is that poor town planning has allowed Dame Street/College Green to become the central bus artery in the city, when it never should have been. The current problems, then, are a necessary part of rectifying that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

trellheim wrote: »
    correct and right. The Plaza - on its own - sounds nice . So do the dedicated Cycle lanes ; but keeping the majority of the people moving efficiently though - on buses - keeps the city moving !

The thing is though buses do not move efficently through College Green as buses are obstructing one another it's a bus bottleneck not because of cars or any other vehicles but because of buses themselves.

It seems Dublin is just not suited to high quality public transport operations and it's all because of poor planning roads are too narrow outside the CC and railways and tramways are too space restricted. Other cities which have a historic centre like Dublin have it pedestrianised and have large bus stations near the city centre where buses terminate and go back out into the suburbs. There is not enough space in Dublin to allow this.

Hurrache wrote: »
    There's not a thing wrong with that statement, regardless if your mind is clouded towards one form of transport or another.

What's stopping people getting from A to B?

A pile of pavement stones and ballards been dumped in the middle of the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Stephen15 wrote: »
    The thing is though buses do not move efficently through College Green as buses are obstructing one another it's a bus bottleneck not because of cars or any other vehicles but because of buses themselves.

Actually, with the College Green bus gate, buses moved very well through the area. The bus gate was praised by all bodies and was mostly respected by private motorists. Buses are not the reason buses can no longer pass freely through College Green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

KD345 wrote: »
    Actually, with the College Green bus gate, buses moved very well through the area. The bus gate was praised by all bodies and was mostly respected by private motorists. Buses are not the reason buses can no longer pass freely through College Green.

Lets be clear.
    Its respected by private motorist because only a fool would blatantly break the law in front of a massive Garda station.

The bus gate is a horrendous mess. Taking 25mins to go 100 meters is not the direction we should be going.

Lets be clear.
    Its respected by private motorist because only a fool would blatantly break the law in front of a massive Garda station.

The bus gate is a horrendous mess. Taking 25mins to go 100 meters is not the direction we should be going.

Doesn't stop taxis in the morning still breaking the law when there is no garda around, actually saw a few cars go that way the other evening as well.

From my travels in the morning and evening traffic is moving a lot faster - still a bit slow northbound but not as bad. Now if they only got rid of all taxis morning and evening then buses would be flying through in both directions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

IE 222 wrote: »
    A pile of pavement stones and ballards been dumped in the middle of the city.

And presumably legs cut off too?

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    And presumably legs cut off too?

Yeah good point, some people would be missing legs or lost the use them. Sure the numerous amounts of people sitting around the plaza could help escort them through if their not to busy enjoying the new found fresh air.

Fintan O'Toole has made a similar argument in the IT. But the Dart only skirts the city centre; I don't know why users of adaptable buses should feel entitled to be dropped in the very centre of the city.

It seems to me that the principal problem is that poor town planning has allowed Dame Street/College Green to become the central bus artery in the city, when it never should have been. The current problems, then, are a necessary part of rectifying that.

Come off it. Dart stops in Pearse, Tara and Connolly. Don't know how you could argue they are not in or close to the city centre.

And as an aside, why shouldn't people from areas with no easy access to DART, Luas and who now have also been ignored by the NTA again with the new metro plan, who pay the same fares and taxes as everyone else ,not be entitled to public transportation transporting them to the main employment centre in the city?

Busses aren't adaptable at all in this city, as DCC refuses to give them any sort of decent priority to make them so. The only rectifying DCC have in mind is turfing busses away from College Gree and sending them down the quays, people from the suburbs be damned.

Lets be clear.

The bus gate may be a mess now, but up until last December it was extremely effective in keeping buses moving through the heart of the city. When introduced, Dublin City Council praised it, and bus journey times were reduced. Now, we have the council wanting to remove these same buses from the area and have not provided adequate re-routing plans. Until they do that, the buses which they recognised back in 2009 as being so important to commuters, should stay in place.

Come off it. Dart stops in Pearse, Tara and Connolly. Don't know how you could argue they are not in or close to the city centre.

And as an aside, why shouldn't people from areas with no easy access to DART, Luas and who now have also been ignored by the NTA again with the new metro plan, who pay the same fares and taxes as everyone else ,not be entitled to public transportation transporting them to the main employment centre in the city?

Busses aren't adaptable at all in this city, as DCC refuses to give them any sort of decent priority to make them so. The only rectifying DCC have in mind is turfing busses away from College Gree and sending them down the quays, people from the suburbs be damned.

I said they skirt the city centre. Each is a ten minute walk from anything that could be described as the city centre.

Of course people not on the Dart and Luas lines should have access to transport to the city, and the current offering should be substantially improved. What I said was that such people shouldn't expect to be dropped to the foot of Grafton Street. Incidentally, the centre of Dublin is not the main employment area in the city.

Buses, by not having rails and permanent stations, are patently adaptable. You say that they aren't adaptable because DCC won't give them priority, but don't you realise it's precisely their adaptability that allows them to continue to provide a service despite that absence of that prioritisation?!

Buses, by not having rails and permanent stations, are patently adaptable. You say that they aren't adaptable because DCC won't give them priority, but don't you realise it's precisely their adaptability that allows them to continue to provide a service despite that absence of that prioritisation?!

That depends on how you define ‘providing a service’. Sure, you can re-route a bus onto an already congested street and call that adapting, but it certainly isn’t good service. Buses can only operate efficiently if they have priority in the city. This is especially the case for cross city routes.
    Absolutely none of the plans shown so far have detailed how bus priority will be retained and how key city centre locations can be reached.

I fully accept that unless Dublin City Council puts in place an adequate alternative plan, the service will be compromised; my point was simply that buses are best in a position to adapt to such plans, where rail transports aren't.
    Absolutely none of the plans shown so far have detailed how bus priority will be retained and how key city centre locations can be reached.

That simply isn't true. A DCC transport study from 2016 proposes converting Parliament Street to a two-way bus-only road and designating D'Olier street as the central bus terminus, involving building a median.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's ridiculous what's gone on for years and still no change.

Enforce bus stops and bus lanes and yellow box junctions.

Put in systems which are around since 90's to change lights to give bus priority.

Get rid of 90's tech ticket machines and get people moving.

Get people away from the idea it's ok to wait till they're on to then look for card or money or pass or just stroll on and completely ignore the driver.

Put up boards which give passengers more info so to leave the driver alone as they aren't there to hold ones hand or baby-sit.

Have proper inspector ticket checking and get on top of anti social behavior.

If a passenger, pedestrian other road user etc holds a bus up or obstructs they should be prosecuted for loss of bus journey etc.

So much holds a service up it's actually unbelievable to most.

Get transportation priority and get people moving much quicker and get them out of their cars.

That simply isn't true. A DCC transport study from 2016 proposes converting Parliament Street to a two-way bus-only road and designating D'Olier street as the central bus terminus, involving building a median.

A lot has changed since then, the proposal to use Parliament Street is currently the subject of a major hearing with An Bord Pleanana with many objections. Those plans you mention from 2016 also included making part of Eden Quay car free and bus/taxi only, but these plans were also quickly dropped.

The most recent set of plans from DCC sees routes like the 16 taken away from the Camden Street and George’s Street corridor and instead run down Patrick Street and Winetavern Street onto the quays. Southbound buses ‘may’ be able to turn right off O’Connell Bridge onto Aston Quay, but ‘may’ have to loop around D’Olier Street and Westmoreland Street.

I can see no bus priority comparable with what DCC felt was needed with the College Green bus gate.

A lot has changed since then, the proposal to use Parliament Street is currently the subject of a major hearing with An Bord Pleanana with many objections. Those plans you mention from 2016 also included making part of Eden Quay car free and bus/taxi only, but these plans were also quickly dropped.

The most recent set of plans from DCC sees routes like the 16 taken away from the Camden Street and George’s Street corridor and instead run down Patrick Street and Winetavern Street onto the quays. Southbound buses ‘may’ be able to turn right off O’Connell Bridge onto Aston Quay, but ‘may’ have to loop around D’Olier Street and Westmoreland Street.

I can see no bus priority comparable with what DCC felt was needed with the College Green bus gate.

I don’t doubt your familiarity with the plans. But I was responding to your claim that “absolutely none” of the plans dealt with prioritising buses, which I understood to mean proposed alternates were inadequate from the start, and which I don’t think is true.

• Advertisement

I don’t doubt your familiarity with the plans. But I was responding to your claim that “absolutely none” of the plans dealt with prioritising buses, which I understood to mean proposed alternates were inadequate from the start, and which I don’t think is true.

I guess it comes down to how you define adequate. You can put anything on a plan, make any amount of claims and throw in some fancy graphics, but if it’s not carried through then it’s meaningless. The minute DCC gave into the private car and reversed its Eden Quay decision it undid all of their bus priority measures on the north quays.

Advertisement