Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good headlamp for running / walking

Options
  • 25-01-2018 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Looking for suggestions for a reasonably priced basic headlamp for walking / running.

Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

I've a rechargeable Petzl head light. It adjusts automatically so if I look at a signpost I'm not blinded etc. It has a booster button too which makes it very bright and light weight . Not sure the model number but most Petzl lights seem pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Have this one, very comfortable and as much light as you'll need for most circumstances. Flies through the charge on maximum, so you'll need to recharge after every 2 runs or so.

If you are only looking for a basic one keep an eye out in Lidl or Aldi or pop into TKMaxx and you'll pick up something for 10-15€

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I have a "Led Lenser SEO H7R", which I bought for one particular race over 2 years ago. It comes with a rechargeable battery pack (very handy!) but also takes standard AAA batteries.

It's a great lamp and most likely I will still be using it in years to come but for running on the road the €3 or €4 camping headlamp from Lidl/Aldi I had used before that was doing perfectly fine as well.

If you want to go off-road I'd strongly recommend something sturdier than a €3 headlamp, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I got one of these of late and its a great job. Nice and light, doesn't move around when running, and is very bright. Normal batteries too and they seem to last for ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Have this one, very comfortable and as much light as you'll need for most circumstances. Flies through the charge on maximum, so you'll need to recharge after every 2 runs or so.

If you are only looking for a basic one keep an eye out in Lidl or Aldi or pop into TKMaxx and you'll pick up something for 10-15€

Thanks for all suggestions / recommendations. I am looking for a basic lamp, mostly for walking etc. I have been using a LIDL one for some years, it was good enough for my purposes, but the ones on offer on the last few occasions were not good at all. Thanks again for advice.

Maidhci wrote: »
    Thanks for all suggestions / recommendations. I am looking for a basic lamp, mostly for walking etc. I have been using a LIDL one for some years, it was good enough for my purposes, but the ones on offer on the last few occasions were not good at all. Thanks again for advice.

the energizer one seems like a good cheap option then.

glasso wrote: »
    the energizer one seems like a good cheap option then.

I haven't bought one yet - the energizer one seems to have a low battery run time, otherwise seems good. I am thinking about the Petzl Tikka which seems to have good reviews and reasonably cheap etc. etc.

Any experience of it here?

I haven't bought one yet - the energizer one seems to have a low battery run time, otherwise seems good. I am thinking about the Petzl Tikka which seems to have good reviews and reasonably cheap etc. etc.

Any experience of it here?

I had a Petzl Tikka a few years ago and it was fine. I'd have no problems recommending one.

Thing is, in my experience the more fancy headlamps barely last any longer than the flimsy looking ones from Aldi/Lidl but can easily cost 10 times as much. If you're heading into the wilderness then I wouldn't trust the really cheap ones just for safety issues but for running/walking within touch of civilisation they work perfectly fine and getting anything fancier seems like wasted money

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Bought the energiser one recently and in terms of the light output alone it is far better than most of the other cheap ones, and I’ve tried a few. I’d nearly always carry a replacement set of batteries once I’ve gone beyond 3/4 hours of use. You wouldn’t even notice 3 AAA’s once they’re taped together. It takes time to get to know each headtorch too and what usage you will get from it. Depends on what modes you use it in as well.

• Advertisement

I had a Petzl Tikka a few years ago and it was fine. I'd have no problems recommending one.

Thing is, in my experience the more fancy headlamps barely last any longer than the flimsy looking ones from Aldi/Lidl but can easily cost 10 times as much. If you're heading into the wilderness then I wouldn't trust the really cheap ones just for safety issues but for running/walking within touch of civilisation they work perfectly fine and getting anything fancier seems like wasted money

I have a LIDL lamp which I have been using for the last 7/8 years, found it great for what it was etc. etc. The newer model, on offer last year was a much more inferior model, no comparison to previous models, bought one and subsequently returned it. Similar with ALDI, the strap lasts for a couple of weeks.

The Petzl Tikka is currently on offer @ €25, therefore not hugely expensive. It is stated in the info that it has a burn time of 60 hours @ 200 lumens with incremental increases in burn time as the output decreases. I think the LIDL one that I have had output of 80 lumens max., which was quite sufficient for walking etc. etc. It is based on these that I am considering the Tikka.

Did you experience good burn time with the Tikka?

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Bought the energiser one recently and in terms of the light output alone it is far better than most of the other cheap ones, and I’ve tried a few. I’d nearly always carry a replacement set of batteries once I’ve gone beyond 3/4 hours of use. You wouldn’t even notice 3 AAA’s once they’re taped together. It takes time to get to know each headtorch too and what usage you will get from it. Depends on what modes you use it in as well.

Thanks for that info. Unfortunately, a small screwdriver is required to undo the battery cover on the LIDL lamp hence not very handy for changing batteries in the dark. Does the battery cover on the Energiser slip off easily. How do you find the burn time etc. etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Thanks for that info. Unfortunately, a small screwdriver is required to undo the battery cover on the LIDL lamp hence not very handy for changing batteries in the dark. Does the battery cover on the Energiser slip off easily. How do you find the burn time etc. etc?

I’ve only had it out for 2 runs so far so can’t answer about burn time, but it was recommended by a friend who reckoned he had 8-10 hours up on his one with no issue. No issues changing batteries or any extra tools required. To be honest, if you can get the Petzl one for €25 I’d be inclined to go with that.

Did you experience good burn time with the Tikka?

It was several years ago, so it might have changed for newer models, but the batteries lasted for ages. No issues on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

It was several years ago, so it might have changed for newer models, but the batteries lasted for ages. No issues on that front.

I had one for several years also, I've adapted it and have it on a bike helmet still.
    I would use it, 2 maybe 3 times per week in the winter for on average 1hr at a time and I think I only changed the batteries once over the winter (takes 3 x AAA).

Advertisement