Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

exploding light bulbs

Options
  • 25-01-2018 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

wondering if anyone else has seen this?

Bought the new halogen version 40w bayonet bulbs some months ago, own lable from B&Q

In the past 2 months 3 have failed with a bang, tripping the mains, spraying molten glass (which has really melted) burning what it lands on. The contact pins also melt - they are just plain dangerous.

have removed them all now - gone with led

are they just poor quality or do other halogen bulbs do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Have you many 40w bulbs in the one lamp?

Id take it that it's that diall brand. They are only fair quality very over priced imo.

Id go for a led replacement if possible or stick with the known good brands philips...

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

1 bulb in some 3 on others, but as per design of the fitting and happened on 3 different fittings. Surely if they are for sale in a big brand store they should be to a safe standard - if it was a pound shop i'd take it and move on, I would just not expect them to last as long / have the light properties of a known brand. The brand on the bulbs is kingfisher - who own b&Q

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I have a similar problem. One light bulb in a three bulb ceiling fitting exploded last night, got the metal part out and a new bulb in but lights still aren't working. Checked my dining room lights and there was one bulb barely hanging on again with the metal still screwed in. Those lights are still working.

I guess I'll need an electrician but can anyone explain what's happening and what kind of a job is required? Thanks, Mona.

Advertisement