Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mitsubishi Delicia Pop Top Roof

Options
  • 24-01-2018 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Anyone know where I can get a pop top roof for a delica spacegear that doesnt cost thousands???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Anyone know where I can get a pop top roof for a delica spacegear that doesnt cost thousands???

Probably cheaper to sell it and import one from Japan with it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ellie112001

Omg that wasn't at all helpful

Omg that wasn't at all helpful

Its just a suggestion, I've been in the same boat was looking at putting a pop top on a hiace/granvia it was cheaper to sell it and buy one with it one installed or exchange it for a bongo.

The only 'cheap' option I came up with was to shoehorn one from the scrap yard onto it getting my dad to rework the fibreglass work to fair it into the bodywork, finding one is hard enough though and the secondhand price from the likes of traynors was €600.

My dads suggestion - he has a boaty background - was to make it from ply with stitch and glue method and epoxy/fibreglass over it like a dinghy. lots of beautiful boats and canoes made that way also people have used that method to make fabulous teardrop trailers.

DSC_0275.jpg

Build-your-own-mobile-camping-pod-with-CLC-Teardrop-Camper-kit_4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Reimo do a lot of pop tops, I wonder if one of them can be converted or there is always the universal square ones but they aren't huge.
    https://www.reimo.com/en/G-campervan_conversions_shop/GD-roofs_for_camper_vans/

• Advertisement

I'm thinking the small mushroom one will do, it's guaranteed to fit and i only need it to suit regulations here and to be able to stand where the kitchen area is...thanks a million for your reply

No prob, I just couldn't think of selling her. She's got quite a story, I bought her in Brisbane, got her painted up and went all round oz for a year including a trip to Tasmania. Then shipped her home to Ireland, there the story continued, good an bad. i'm itching to go travelling in her again. She's got a respray, new kitchen, rock n roll bed, propex heater, storage and electrics. Thing is, the regulations here are quite strict so I have to get her legal first and that means 1.8 metre standing room over the kitchen area. Fingers crossed I'll get there....

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

No prob, I just couldn't think of selling her. She's got quite a story, I bought her in Brisbane, got her painted up and went all round oz for a year including a trip to Tasmania. Then shipped her home to Ireland, there the story continued, good an bad. i'm itching to go travelling in her again. She's got a respray, new kitchen, rock n roll bed, propex heater, storage and electrics. Thing is, the regulations here are quite strict so I have to get her legal first and that means 1.8 metre standing room over the kitchen area. Fingers crossed I'll get there....

There's been quite a few threads on here about people converting vans that didn't have standing room. Seems its possible to get them through and insured somehow

Moomat wrote: »
    There's been quite a few threads on here about people converting vans that didn't have standing room. Seems its possible to get them through and insured somehow

Yeah theres nothing in legislation about standing room they're just making it up as they go along it just depends on how lucky / persistent you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭Shoog

Its just about impossible to get a low roof camper insured in Ireland. It maybe different if its a commercial conversion but most of those make certain they pick a donor vehicle with adequate roof clearance. If the vehicle is over 20 years old then it becomes a vintage and then the IVETA offer a good insurance policy for vehicles which don't have the requirements insisted on by Dolmens and Stewarts. Thats the path we went down with our T4 camper.

Shoog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Take photos of it and send an equity to likes of Dolmen and Stewarts, search this forum and make a list of companies. Also ask on Facebook pages like type two ireland. Eventually you will get insurance. What you are up against is that the insurance companies get chancers trying to save money on road tax and insurance by trying to claim some half assed conversion is a camper and not their work van that they use for commercial work. If your opening email has a photo of what is a proper camper you'll at least get past that and they may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Shoog wrote:
    Its just about impossible to get a low roof camper insured in Ireland. It maybe different if its a commercial conversion but most of those make certain they pick a donor vehicle with adequate roof clearance. If the vehicle is over 20 years old then it becomes a vintage and then the IVETA offer a good insurance policy for vehicles which don't have the requirements insisted on by Dolmens and Stewarts. Thats the path we went down with our T4 camper.

Just had a look at this and it is worth noting the policy wording that the vehicle is primarily to be used for going to vintage rallies and fairs with some limited social, domestic and pleasure use and specifically excludes commuting.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Just had a look at this and it is worth noting the policy wording that the vehicle is primarily to be used for going to vintage rallies and fairs with some limited social, domestic and pleasure use and specifically excludes commuting.
    The same applies to all camper insurance. If you have an accident in a camper when travelling to or from work - forget making a claim. If you are using it as a camper then you are covered for using it as a camper.

This is the specific reason why its so difficult to get insurance - because people try to use their campers as their primary vehicle - which is a definate no go.

Shoog

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Shoog wrote:
    The same applies to all camper insurance. If you have an accident in a camper when travelling to or from work - forget making a claim. If you are using it as a camper then you are covered for using it as a camper.

My own policy wording is far less restrictive than the vintage policy above. I have used my camper to go to work to get away early for a weekend on a Friday etc. which I have confirmed is permitted. I do have another vehicle as my primary vehicle though.

Shoog wrote: »

Not all.
    If I go to work the night before, beat the traffic and claim the free parking. Am I commuting or using it as a camper?

Not all.
    If I go to work the night before, beat the traffic and claim the free parking. Am I commuting or using it as a camper?
    For the time you travel to work initially you are a commuter. Judging by the reluctance of insurers to pay out at the slightest opportunity I wouldn't risk it. Add to this the reluctance of Insurers to insure campers at all, I think you would be on very thin ice if you crashed on the way to work in that scenario.

Shoog

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I've a very busy life and the camper can sit outside the house for couple of weeks. Once a week I take it for a run to work and back. It's good for it. The rest of the time I drive the car.

Advertisement