Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert Music sight reading

Options
  • 25-01-2018 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I'm posting for my son. He plays piano at Grade 5 and knows a few chords on guitar. His music teacher in school reckons sight reading chords on the guitar is very easy and recommends he does it but his piano teacher is horrified at the thought and says he should do his sight reading on piano. Anyone any thoughts as to which he should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Cyclist101 wrote: »
    I'm posting for my son. He plays piano at Grade 5 and knows a few chords on guitar. His music teacher in school reckons sight reading chords on the guitar is very easy and recommends he does it but his piano teacher is horrified at the thought and says he should do his sight reading on piano. Anyone any thoughts as to which he should do?

He should do what he feels he is best at and whatever he is most comfortable with. That is what he will do best in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ev39

I did Junior Cert music last year and I chose the option of aural memory rhythm instead of sight reading. It was quite easy to get almost full marks in.
    None of the piano players in my class did sight reading as our teacher told them it was very difficult.
    However, just about all the guitar players did sight reading! As far as I know, only basic chords are required.
    Despite this, I would still recommend that your son does aural memory rhythm instead of sight reading, even if he is very good at sight reading piano/guitar.

Btw, my instrument is trad flute and sight reading would have been difficult for me as I learn music by hear, so I don’t actually know how hard it is to sight read! Anyway I hope my advice is helpful :)

Advertisement