Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance premium after health issues

Options
  • 25-01-2018 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Does anyone happen to have experience with or know someone who has been in very ill health, such as a tumour, and has had to inform their motor insurance company about it? if so, I expect that the insurance company will see this as an opportunity to treat the customer as higher risk and up the premium costs but would anyone know how much they would go up by on average?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Does the tumour affect your ability to drive like are you in constant pain or is your eyesight or general concentration affected by the medication you may be on? Some strong painkillers can affect concentration and typically your doctor or consultant will advise you if you should not drive while under treatment. Otherwise I wouldn't see cancer and the associated treatment as being a material risk which requires you to notify your insurance company.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It depends. If it affects your ability to drive in any way it might cost extra.

If in any doubt disclose.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭industrialhorse

coylemj wrote: »
    Does the tumour affect your ability to drive like are you in constant pain or is your eyesight or general concentration affected by the medication you may be on? Some strong painkillers can affect concentration and typically your doctor or consultant will advise you if you should not drive while under treatment. Otherwise I wouldn't see cancer and the associated treatment as being a material risk which requires you to notify your insurance company.

I am not in any pain and have been able to drive without any problems for the last two weeks or so. The problem is, and as one of the registrar nurses rightly pointed out, is that my insurance becomes null and void if I happen to get caught up in an accident where I get injured or cause injury or damage to another person and their motor and this is where I could get the book thrown at me. I dont know anything about the real consequences in all honesty but my gut instinct is that if I let the insurance company know then they will most likely up the premium, possibly beyond any reasonably affordable price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

In relation to disclosure is the yardstick not that of the material fact ?

A material fact is one which is capable of influencing the mind of a prudent insurance underwriter in deciding whether or not to accept a risk proposed for insurance and, if so, upon what terms and conditions.

The duty of disclosure exists at inception but revives each year at renewal.

It is dangerous for a proposer or policyholder to ever decide what constitutes a material fact. That is actually the decision of the underwriter.

The hazard of non-disclosure is that the issue might not affect the underwriter's view anyhow but if you choose not to disclose you leave yourself wide open to the contract being voided on grounds of non-disclosure.

If there is any doubt disclose the fact. Thereafter, it is for the underwriter to justify the imposition of any terms consequent upon disclosure.

Generally, insurance contracts fall in to that species known as contracts uberrima fides (utmost good faith). Any arguable non-disclosure can be cited as evidence of a breach of the good faith obligation.

I am not an insurance underwriter but do understand from a different perspective that many medical problems do not incur imposition of terms if there is no fundamental alteration in the risk.

P.S. If you disclose and terms are imposed in consequence that, of itself, becomes an additional material fact to be disclosed to any other insurers from whom you may subsequently seek a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

You must contact the RSA whom in turn will send you a medical before licence form. If you are deemed acceptable for medical based licence then you will be sent nee licence for a set period of time or until the existing licence was to expire

The code 101 will be stamped on section 12 on back of licence and when looking for insurance that you declare code 101, insurance companies will ask only 2 questions-
    1. What’s the expiry date ?
    2. Does the car need modifications- hand controls or auto gearbox , hand assist controls

They can’t ask for type of medical conditions under dat protection and no loading can be applied to persons premium with exception of car is adampted by motorised lift/ramp as then vehicle is tgus modified and more expensive to fix if crashed

I can vouch this is the process as I too have a code 101..

• Advertisement

cplwhisper wrote: »
    You must contact the RSA whom in turn will send you a medical before licence form.

Only if this applies....

If, following consultation with your GP, your medical condition is one that needs to be noted on your driver record you must submit a Medical Report Form to the NDLS. You will need to apply for a change of personal details through any NDLS centre.

https://www.ndls.ie/how-to-apply.html#change-of-medical-details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

cplwhisper wrote: »
    You must contact the RSA whom in turn will send you a medical before licence form. If you are deemed acceptable for medical based licence then you will be sent nee licence for a set period of time or until the existing licence was to expire

The code 101 will be stamped on section 12 on back of licence and when looking for insurance that you declare code 101, insurance companies will ask only 2 questions-
    1. What’s the expiry date ?
    2. Does the car need modifications- hand controls or auto gearbox , hand assist controls

They can’t ask for type of medical conditions under dat protection and no loading can be applied to persons premium with exception of car is adampted by motorised lift/ramp as then vehicle is tgus modified and more expensive to fix if crashed

I can vouch this is the process as I too have a code 101..
    But I have seen direct questions asking do you suffer from x, y, z Diabetes, etc etc.

How can this be correct?

I am not in any pain and have been able to drive without any problems for the last two weeks or so. The problem is, and as one of the registrar nurses rightly pointed out, is that my insurance becomes null and void if I happen to get caught up in an accident where I get injured or cause injury or damage to another person and their motor and this is where I could get the book thrown at me.

If that was true, your insurance would be null and void with or without a crash. It sounds a bit alarmist TBH.

You need to talk to your GP or consultant (see my previous post above) and discuss if your illness and/or treatment has any bearing on your ability to drive.

Advertisement