Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are the markers of wealth these days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Uranium wrote: »
    Having the latest product from Apple

This is absolutely not a sign of wealth.

All it shows is short term desires and wasting money on products that don’t develop hugely from one model to the next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Cars are clearly the key indicator.

Everyone knows what the ranking is, brandwise, modelwise, cost, and mainly, year.

People with more expensive, bigger, more prestigious cars are distinctly more successful in life than those with lesser models. Its such a good indicator that it envelopes you completely, and people notice the car before they notice you the person.

In a instant you can mark out someone for what type of person they are, what they earn, how much taste or discernment they possess, and whether they are someone you should look up to and give respect (and if you are lower than them, aspire to be like), or whether you can look down on them giving yourself a seratonin boost and feel satisfied that you are at least better than that person.

Nothing else does the job for this controlling function in society better than the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Wealthis being able to purchase what you want, when you want. People who can afford iPhones, new cars and other bollocks aren’t wealthy. They’re probably in debt and locked into contracts to pay for these material items. It’s just short term gain because they think it’s solves their problems or will make them happy - it does neither.

People who have to take mortgages aren’t wealthy, buying a house without a mortgage shows wealth.

Essentially, being debt-free and asset wealthy is what wealth is.

Everyone knows what the ranking is, brandwise, modelwise, cost, and mainly, year.

People with more expensive, bigger, more prestigious cars are distinctly more successful in life than those with lesser models. Its such a good indicator that it envelopes you completely, and people notice the car before they notice you the person.

In a instant you can mark out someone for what type of person they are, what they earn, how much taste or discernment they possess, and whether they are someone you should look up to and give respect (and if you are lower than them, aspire to be like), or whether you can look down on them giving yourself a seratonin boost and feel satisfied that you are at least better than that person.

Nothing else does the job for this controlling function in society better than the car.

That’s the biggest load of drivel I’ve read in quite some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Klinkhammer

What do you want when the subject comes up? Plead poverty? Lie?

Its the Irish way. Ask any business owner how business is and they'll tell you it's terrible. Nobody flaunts their wealth in this country unless they're newly minted which usually doesn't last long or they're foreign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭cycle4fun

Not always. There are cases of multi-millionaires driving quite ordinary cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Farmer Bob

What things (salary, job, possessions, holidays, cars, type of house) would make you think a person was well off these days?

I don't look at a person and think "He must be well off because x,y,z..."

Mainly because I don't give a **** about other people and their money.

The richest guy I know drives a Volvo from the 1990s. Most people with a 181 car are probably in hock up to their eyeballs. You can't tell anything from outward appearances so why bother trying?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

What nonsense. Lots of people drive expensive cars who are not wealthy-pcp or the banks own it. They just want to give the impression they're wealthy. As for them being markers of taste and discernment I'd say the more flash the car the less taste they have in my experience. They're just trying to prove something and they think owning a flash car will impress others. Reeks of insecurity actually.

Personally I'd be more impressed by a guy who cycles a lovely bicycle than any car. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

cycle4fun wrote: »
    Not always. There are cases of multi-millionaires driving quite ordinary cars.

I agree, the couple I spoke about earlier who are very wealthy have quite a boring car. Another couple I know are very wealthy and they buy a new fancy car each year, as well as having a vintage jag. So sometimes cars tell a lot and other times they definitely dont.

PandaPoo wrote: »
    I agree, the couple I spoke about earlier who are very wealthy have quite a boring car. Another couple I know are very wealthy and they buy a new fancy car each year, as well as having a vintage jag. So sometimes cars tell a lot and other times they definitely dont.

Sure, it isnt 100% reliable. Of course there are exceptions. But its the best indicator we have. Is highly visible. Simple to evaluate. A great majority of people participate in using it to indicate their wealth, and know that most use it to evaluate wealth. So, in general, and for daily practical purposes, pretty accurately marks wealth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The true marker of wealth is being able to not think about money.

Mayweather is always thinking of money.

Sure, it isnt 100% reliable. Of course there are exceptions. But its the best indicator we have. Is highly visible. Simple to evaluate. A great majority of people participate in using it to indicate their wealth, and know that most use it to evaluate wealth. So, in general, and for daily practical purposes, pretty accurately marks wealth.

Don't think so. Id say houses and holidays are more accurate. I don't know any wealthy person who doesn't go abroad at least once a year, and live in a good area in a nice house.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

YFlyer wrote: »

Maybe, but he doesnt have to, is the point.

Ability to choose is a huge sign of wealth- the more choice you have in more aspects of your life the richer you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Maybe, but he doesnt have to, is the point.

True.

PandaPoo wrote: »
    Don't think so. Id say houses and holidays are more accurate. I don't know any wealthy person who doesn't go abroad at least once a year, and live in a good area in a nice house.

True, but there are always exceptions. Two close friends of mine take multiple holidays every year-often long haul-and they're both on the dole :pac: they're both artists so they have a bit more money than the dole rate, but not much more.
    They don't have many bills or expenses by choice-no TVs, no mortgages, no cars, not smokers, only use dumb phones, no computers except parents', second hand and hand made clothing... It just depends on your priorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Greentopia wrote: »
    True, but there are always exceptions. ...

That just means its generally true...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A good credit rating. That's it really. it's not about getting loan/mortgage. Even just to open a bank account, rental agreements, etc internationally, without a decent credit rating you're pretty screwed.
    People with wealth typically do not have a very good credit rating because they don't have a history of paying off debt in time. Of course, neither do they need a good credit rating as they typically don't need credit!

Also your credit rating is specific to your country of residence/debt. A decent credit rating in the US, or UK, has no bearing in Ireland as there are restrictions on what you can do with the underlying credit data
    Sorry, but for me it's your fleet of bikes that matters

:pac:

beauf wrote: »
    That just means its generally true...

I didn't say it wasn't, I agreed with what PandaPoo said. I just wanted to say that there are some exceptions to what is generally true. Another could be parental wealth where their kids have none but have a 'wealthy' lifestyle because of parental largesse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

you're health.

Am I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

I never had a credit rating. Never needed one.

Strange thing to tell randomers. Congratulations?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

YFlyer wrote: »

Because he has a serious gambling problem and still has to fight at 40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

A solid gold house and a rocket car. Obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Peatys wrote: »
    Strange thing to tell randomers.

Not when in reply to a post saying how one needed a good credit rating. In my day there was never a mention of a credit rating, we never got them nor needed them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Not when in reply to a post saying how one needed a good credit rating. In my day there was never a mention of a credit rating, we never got them nor needed them

The credit rating is just an American invention to make their 'every man for himself' brand of capitalism even more precarious for the ordinary punter. Thankfully efforts to spread it beyond the states havn't been as successful as black Friday

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The credit rating is just an American invention to make their 'every man for himself' brand of capitalism even more precarious for the ordinary punter. Thankfully efforts to spread it beyond the states havn't been as successful as black Friday
    Credit ratings have existed in the States for a long time. They've been in the UK for over 20 years. They certainly don't exist in Ireland at this stage at a personal level.

Beasty wrote: »
    Sorry, but for me it's your fleet of bikes that matters
    :pac:

But when that is not the measure that the rest of the population uses, its makes it a weak marker, and not a good indicator. So not much use. These days the car easily trumps a fleet (wtf?) of bikes.

These days the car easily trumps a fleet (wtf?) of bikes.
    Significantly upgraded since this post:)

Depends how much you spend on a car, but my current "fleet" cost about as much as the Audi Q7

Beasty wrote: »
    Significantly upgraded since this post:)

Depends how much you spend on a car, but my current "fleet" cost about as much as the Audi Q7

Jaykers! I'd say you get a decent car for whatever they cost and the Q8 is right up there of course. But for many people they could just be a string of €200 bikes from Halfords. Get the Q8.
    A problem with them though is that you can generally only show off one at a time, so people dont really get to see the fleet, nor will most people have much idea what you spent on them which rather spoils the effect. Which is why the car works so well. Its a bit like saying you are going to have your own currency - if everyone else is using euros, your own personal currency is effectively worthless.
    Anyway, the car, par excellence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Ah you do love talking about your wealth don't you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgrpwwN8zM0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

People who have to take mortgages aren’t wealthy, buying a house without a mortgage shows wealth.

I don't know about that. I own a house, bought mortgage free, but definitely wouldn't consider myself wealthy. Maybe I would be if I sold the house, but then I'd have to pay rent somewhere, and be even less well off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

an art collection, its nothing new. There are a few people I know that have a size-able art collection worth quite a few quid. One of them inherited a collection of approx 350 paintings and prints by well known Irish and English artists. He loans some of these out now and again, plus he is still building the collection.

There is a guy from home who is a financial adviser in Asia, and one of his clients has one of the largest collections in Europe. He stores the paintings in a warehouse in Geneva. His Picasso collection alone, is worth €1 billion. His entire collection is worth €3 billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭duvetdayss

PandaPoo wrote:
    My sister in law and her husband are wealthy, she doesnt work and he retired at 38, they live in an enormous 4 storey house in a posh part of dublin, own 2 other houses abroad, 1 other in Ireland, 4 kids go to private schools, they all do violin and piano, they have an au pair, travel abroad for 2 months at least during the summer. Definitely wealthy.

Wow, what was he doing that allowed him to retire at 38?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

A new Toyota Hi-acky Sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭shane.

A solid gold house and a rocket car. Obviously

God I’d love a solid gold house

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭someyoke

shane. wrote: »

But Dougal nobody lives in a solid gold house

duvetdayss wrote: »
    Wow, what was he doing that allowed him to retire at 38?

Owned his own company, and charity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

We have a Dyson for the cars and a new bosch vacumn for the house. Makes sense not having a manky outdoor vacumn on the nice cream carpets... also I have used the Dyson to vacumn some of the garden.

We have a mortgage and are not wealthy. But when u can get used Dyson for half nothing why not. !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

shane. wrote: »

I feel like liver and onions..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Rich is Owning your own home and car. Owing no one a cent. All the above but i never feel 'rich' except for health. Having your health - That's priceless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Having many leather bound books and an apartment that smells of rich mahogany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Land. Lots and lots of land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭cycle4fun

Health is your wealth.

Would be nice to be time rich too, with teachers or lecturers holidays. Not many people have them.

Money and greed are the root of all evil, someone used to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

What things (salary, job, possessions, holidays, cars, type of house) would make you think a person was well off these days? Myself and friends had this idle chat today and am interested to hear other people’s thoughts.

Owing nobody a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Such a weird thing, wealth. I have never had it, money wise, but lots of wealth in other ways I prefer, like being usually cheerful and healthy and my family being likewise. We are slightly wealthier now in that scrounging together the cash to fix the 2004 banger doesn't necessarily mean spending the grocery money, which it used to inevitably mean. But, meh, I can cope either way.

What I find crude about ''wealth'' is that so many of the status symbols of it (wealth) depend upon the abuse and enslavement of other human beings to produce them, not just diamonds or ores, but even epicurean foods, fine coffees, tropical fruits, fancy furniture, swish clothing, modern gadgetry.

I just cannot smell the ''luxury'' bang off regular status symbols..they kind of creep me out. They are imbued with suffering. I find ordinary things more attractive. Trees, for example. My growing trees give me a feeling of luxury and plenty.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/01/25/the-billionaire-boom-82-of-global-wealth-produced-last-year-went-to-richest-1/
    (Weird thing there is the richest 1% are not anonymous, they are many of us, the new emperors of the world. People who make over 30,000 euros p.a. are in the 1%. Fcuk, it must be utterly ****e for most of the other 99% of people).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I would class myself as wealthy, with virtually no net worth but importantly no debt either, it's a very subjective thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sign of wealth?

Having more than just 5c, 2c, 1c and lint in the change bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I never had a credit rating. Never needed one.

I know you're retired now, but did you not have a mortgage?

(you can have mine if you want, I wouldn't like you to feel left out:D)

• Advertisement
Advertisement