Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pubs open good Friday shows TDs in Vintners pockets

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

Mr.H wrote: »
    So the TD you mean had absolutely no loyalty to the church (which had a lot of politicians pockets at the time)?

Thats ridiculous to think that three holy days the bars being closed and it had no church influence.

So many of our laws that where passed had been influenced by the church yet this one escaped?

I am sure your post is entirely correct.
    It was a sign of the times people danced to the tune of the church back then.

My posts may have come across the wrong way I am not trying to split hairs on this topic.
    I am happy the influence of the Church is being brushed off.
    However I think the people should decide not hidden lobbies.

That was the whole point of this thread.
    Spain for example had dirt cheep drink prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I am sure your post is entirely correct.
    It was a sign of the times people danced to the tune of the church back then.

My posts may have come across the wrong way I am not trying to split hairs on this topic.
    I am happy the influence of the Church is being brushed off.
    However I think the people should decided not hidden lobbies.

That is something I entirely agree with you on. Maybe I have just read your posts the wrong way.

It is just frustrating that you and me will be never listened to. Then you have billy big business having so much influence.

The irony of arguing about an entity such as the catholic church having so much control in our legislation only to have another entity (VTI) do the exact same and be hailed for it.

I just hope they dont get their way in the long term with the minimum pricing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

That is something I entirely agree with you on. Maybe I have just read your posts the wrong way.

It is just frustrating that you and me will be never listened to. Then you have billy big business having so much influence.

The irony of arguing about an entity such as the catholic church having so much control in our legislation only to have another entity (VTI) do the exact same and be hailed for it.

I just hope they dont get their way in the long term with the minimum pricing

Thanks we are on the same page that is why I keep pointing this subject out about the VFI.
    Maybe my posting style leaves a lot to be desired and I am sorry for wandering onto iffy ground I don't have a solicitor proof read my posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Good. Why should they be guaranteed the day off when I am not? I work in hospitality and still work that day.

There’s nothing like a good old bit of Irish begrudgery I always say.

splinter65 wrote: »
    There’s nothing like a good old bit of Irish begrudgery I always say.

Nothing to do with begrudgery

See that attitude is the typical Irish rubbish. If someone disagrees with something it must be begrudgery.

I use to work in bars and on Good Friday I worked in the bar like a lot of bars cleaning. There was no day off on Good Friday. We didnt serve pints but we worked. Again like most bars.

As for wanting a day off I dont care. If you want the day off take the day off. It is a normal day for me and everyone who isnt religious and I would like the day to be treated as such. If I want to go for a pint after a hard honest days work then why should I be stopped by some ridiculous law. I mean should we also close the bars for the length of Ramadan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Nothing to do with begrudgery

See that attitude is the typical Irish rubbish. If someone disagrees with something it must be begrudgery.

I use to work in bars and on Good Friday I worked in the bar like a lot of bars cleaning. There was no day off on Good Friday. We didnt serve pints but we worked. Again like most bars.

As for wanting a day off I dont care. If you want the day off take the day off. It is a normal day for me and everyone who isnt religious and I would like the day to be treated as such. If I want to go for a pint after a hard honest days work then why should I be stopped by some ridiculous law. I mean should we also close the bars for the length of Ramadan?
    No . I’m quite sure when someone says “Johnny has to work on Friday when he used to have it off and I’m ****ing delighted because I always had to work on Friday myself “ that that’s begrudgery.

splinter65 wrote: »
    No . I’m quite sure when someone says “Johnny has to work on Friday when he used to have it off and I’m ****ing delighted because I always had to work on Friday myself “ that that’s begrudgery.

This is what I said "Good. Why should they be guaranteed the day off when I am not? I work in hospitality and still work that day."

It is true.

What makes bars so exclusive that they are closed on Good Friday and lets say Pennys isnt?

Thats not be begrudging. That is me pointing out how ridiculous it is.

If I own a bar for example why would I not be allowed to open and work on Good Friday if I choose??

Your talking as if people deserve Good Friday off for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

VFI (Vintners Federation of Ireland) is the representative body for 4000 publicans. As a trade organisation we promote and protect our members' interests.

So you work for them then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

My view on this is the less the Irish drink the better.

I think we have serious issues with alcohol and are in denial as a country.

I'm not happy an extra day is provided.

P.S Nothing to do with religion.

rates have been falling for the last decade and are pretty much average compared to Europe. Irish drinking habits are an outdated myth.

• Advertisement

I think we have serious issues with alcohol and are in denial as a country.

I'm not happy an extra day is provided.

P.S Nothing to do with religion.

An extra day being "provided" is absolutely nothing to do with our societies issue with alcohol.

People (religious ones too) always drank on good friday.

I am a firm believer, if you tell someone not to do something it will make them want to do it more. Our nanny state telling people how to behave is the reason for so many issues.

People having freedom of choice allows them to mature.

A teenager will do stupid things because their parents tell them not to. When they move out and get independence they grow up[ and mature. Then they stop doing stupid things.

Telling people when they can and cant drink just leads to drinking issues. You look at closing time as an example. Right now it is just a target for people to get as drunk as possible by that time. Where as in the UK they stopped that mentality with less restricted opening hours. Now people in the UK have the mentality they can booze all night so there is less of a rush. There are still issues of course but you take away the time limit and you slow down the drinking.

The less restrictions the better for society

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Right lads and ladies a little PSA from KKkitty. If you wish to abstain from alcohol that day by all means do. Like the last few decades where no establishment that serves alcohol was opened forcing you to sit through a drink free day if you weren't cute enough to buy drink the previous day. Do you know what you're an adult who can decide whether you want to drink or not on that day. You most likely have bought alcohol the day previously anyway but just want to appear pedantic to prove a point.

rates have been falling for the last decade and are pretty much average compared to Europe. Irish drinking habits are an outdated myth.

Continental cities look like Dublin City Center at night Thursday - Sunday do they?

They don't, they really don't.

Continental cities look like Dublin City Center at night Thursday - Sunday do they?

They don't, they really don't.

Most UK cities do.

Also you obviously havent been to eastern Europe.

I can confirm that Paris isnt like that but in saying that I find the lack of actual social scene at the weekend really dull and boring in Paris.

You dont have to be out of control to enjoy the social aspect of the nightlife we have in Ireland and the UK

Most UK cities do.

Also you obviously havent been to eastern Europe.

I can confirm that Paris isnt like that but in saying that I find the lack of actual social scene at the weekend really dull and boring in Paris.

You dont have to be out of control to enjoy the social aspect of the nightlife we have in Ireland and the UK

If you are not pissed out of your brain do you find Dublin a pleasant city center to walk around late at night?

If you were a tourist would you find it pleasant?

I have been to cities all over the world and Dublin is a national embarrassment for this. It's suppose to be a capital city. I can walk in cities all over the world at night (in some dodgy parts of the world too), take in the best sights, and feel a lot safer than in Dublin if I was sober.

Don't you think that's not right? And you are comparing us to the UK?

Our standards should be a lot higher than Sheffield to be perfectly honest.

London is pleasant at night though. It's a global city where standards are quite high.

If you are not pissed out of your brain do you find Dublin a pleasant city center to walk around late at night?

If you were a tourist would you find it pleasant?

I have been to cities all over the world and Dublin is a national embarrassment for this. It's suppose to be a capital city. I can walk in cities all over the world at night (in some dodgy parts of the world too), take in the best sights, and feel a lot safer than in Dublin if I was sober.

Don't you think that's not right? And you are comparing us to the UK?

Our standards should be a lot higher than Sheffield to be perfectly honest.

London is pleasant at night though. It's a global city where standards are quite high.

Firstly I do and I dont enjoy Dublin at night. I do enjoy a lot of the bars but no I dont enjoy whats outside them. But not just because of the drunken louts. Its more them homelessness that puts me off. That makes me feel unsafe more than anything.

I do however enjoy Cork Galway and Limerick on busy weekend nights. I drink but I drink a few pints and Im happy out. I dont drink to get hammered. I drink because I like the taste and it relaxes me.

London has some very very Dublin esque parts at night time. But I am talking more the likes of comparable cities like Manchester Birmingham and Liverpool which all are exactly like any Irish city on a weekend. As are Cardiff Edinburgh and Glasgow.

When in Continental Cities I find drinking very strange. Almost like it is frowned upon to have a sing song in a bar (which it very much is). That is not something I would like to see in Irish bars.

Nightlife here consists of great live bands in regular bars. European mentality is just have a few glasses of beer while having a # quiet chat in a cafe.

London has some very very Dublin esque parts at night time. But I am talking more the likes of comparable cities like Manchester Birmingham and Liverpool which all are exactly like any Irish city on a weekend.

So the benchmark for the capital of a sovereign European country should be these cities?

I don't think it should.

You obviously disagree and that's fine.

I'd just like to see our capital city with more civic pride and not a destination for stag parties and hen nights.

I'm all up for the laugh and getting sh!tfaced occasionally and having a good time but I see the dysfunction of this city and our cities and think it needs to change.

That's just my opinion.

So the benchmark for the capital of a sovereign European country should be these cities?

I don't think it should.

You obviously disagree and that's fine.

I'd just like to see our capital city with more civic pride and not a destination for stag parties and hen nights.

I'm all up for the laugh and getting sh!tfaced occasionally and having a good time but I see the dysfunction of this city and our cities and think it needs to change.

That's just my opinion.

Well they are cities of similarity in size to Dublin (center wise). London Is too big to compare to Dublin.

Im not saying that things dont need to change. I am saying that keeping the bars closed on Good Friday hasnt worked to reduce the problem so far so obviously its not the solution.

Education is the solution not suppression.

Sober or pissed, night or day Dublin is never a nice CC to walk around in and its not drunks making it so

• Advertisement

Well they are cities of similarity in size to Dublin (center wise). London Is too big to compare to Dublin.

London and Parisian standards are not too big for Dublin to emulate.

If there was a will it would be done through, yes, education but also enforcement which both those cities do ruthlessly compared to us.

And it works. In Dublin it's almost lawless drunkenness.

I hope things are changing but I don't see it, yet.

Sober or pissed, night or day Dublin is never a nice CC to walk around in and its not drunks making it so

At night, which we are discussing, it is.

The addicts tend to be tucked in bed at that stage.

London and Parisian standards are not too big for Dublin to emulate.

If there was a will it would be done through, yes, education but also enforcement which both those cities do ruthlessly compared to us.

And it works. In Dublin it's almost lawless drunkenness.

I hope things are changing but I don't see it, yet.

But London allows bars to open every day of the week and every hour of the day?

So there is more access to drink than Dublin yet they are able to control it. Why is that?

But London allows bars to open every day of the week and every hour of the day?

So there is more access to drink than Dublin yet they are able to control it. Why is that?

They have far better policing than we do. Try spot a guard between the canals after 9 pm on weekends...you'll see a van in Temple Bar, the odd car, and that's it.

There is not remotely the enforcement needed.

That applies during the day almost as much by the way!

The addicts tend to be tucked in bed at that stage.

The addicts are wide awake and causing trouble after the clubs in Dublin as well I'll tell you that

They have far better policing than we do. Try spot a guard between the canals after 9 pm on weekends...

There is not remotely the enforcement needed.

That applies during the day almost as much by the way!

So what you are saying is it is nothing to do with what days or times the bars are open and more to do with policing?

I agree that is an aspect.

• Advertisement

The addicts are wide awake and causing trouble after the clubs in Dublin as well I'll tell you that

Maybe that's the case I don't know. Never had a problem in the early hours with addicts. Maybe I have just been lucky.

So what you are saying is it is nothing to do with what days or times the bars are open and more to do with policing?

I agree that is an aspect.

It's a big aspect.

I agree the opening times are daft because everyone knocks back before closing.

We don't have the effort needed on multiple fronts to change things.

I think things have to change because it's reputational damage (and sometimes worse) at the end of the day. When that will be, I won't hold my breath.

It's a big aspect.

I agree the opening times are daft because everyone knocks back before closing.

We don't have the effort needed on multiple fronts to change things.

I think things have to change because it's reputational damage (and sometimes worse) at the end of the day. When that will be, I won't hold my breath.

I think its unfair to put the blame mostly on the Gardai. Thats like saying "you should have arrested me before I got into a fight".

The biggest issue is education simple as. We need to teach our society young and old the effects of not just drinking, but violent behavior. Drinking is only talked about as a danger to organ and body health where the other issues associated with it such as violence, mental health and the harm verbal abuse can cause.

As a society we need to be given more freedom and harsher punishments. No closing times would be my suggestion. But public disorder would be punished with mandatory minimum public service work. If you are involved in something stupid you should at least get a week of community services. Clean the streets and parks. Punishments need to be more beneficial to society as a whole and not just send people to jail for everything.

But I wouldnt blame the Gardai because I believe that most Gardai are just doing the best they can. They are under resourced and their superiors are not giving them what they need to do the job. What they need is better laws regarding punishments.

Sorry, I didn't realise you're setting the exact context of this thread
    Leave you too it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Irishsneachta

People have little to be crying about

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MOD Thread already discussing this here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057834196

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement