Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roads Condition

Options
  • 25-01-2018 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭

Is there a particular reason as to why there is absolutely NO upkeep on the roads in the locality?

The main street, particularly near the Brereton Carpets end is like something out of Basra..

The road then continues up past the rugby club and again, huge potholes, particularly approaching the Killincarraig zebra crossing-an accident waiting to happen, as is the surface continuing up towards Delgany village past the school and church-huge holes in the speed bumps.

<Snip>

Perhaps we could all drop his offices a line before there is a bad accident or worse-it is simply unacceptable that there is no upkeep on these roads...Again, the surface from Newcastle on the coast road is hocking-a road that many cyclists attempt to navigate every day. 2 years ago, one such cyclist sheared his forks and was badly injured near the fruit farm after striking a pothole in the road-I came across the scene as he was being stretchered into an ambulance in front of his family.

When he canvassed several years ago, Simon Harris promised as part of his manifesto that the issue would be addressed-well, we all know about slimy politicians and their empty promises...

<Snip> Greystones council engineer
    Tel: 01 2876694
    Email: GreystonesMD@wicklowcoco.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Mod

I removed named individuals and personal attacks on named individuals.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Roads MUCH improved since the patchwork repairs...NOT:mad:

Why remove the individual's email address and title when he is responsible for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

ckeego wrote: »
    Roads MUCH improved since the patchwork repairs...NOT:mad:

Why remove the individual's email address and title when he is responsible for this?

Because there was a personalised attack on the individual. In future please follow moderation guidelines and pm questions to moderators.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

The roads are awful. The recent repairs pathetic. This does need to be relayed to those that are responsible. It’s unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

Concur that the roads on the area are indeed in a terrible state.

It's gotten to the stage now when it's easier to pick out the few decent surfaces rather than the pot holed, uneven majority.

A personal bugbear are the ramps on Kindlestown Road. Any idea why the entrance and exit to these ramps are at completely different angles of incline/decline?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

I have to agree and add some thoughts.

The improvement between St. Kevins and the BeachHouse is very good, however the approach to this is dreadful.
    From Johnson & Staunton to St. Kevins is really bad to the extent you need to cross the white line to avoid hazardous pot-holes.

As above, from the Burnaby Bar to the Golf club entrance is a disgraceful reflection of the town, a town with the highest commercial occupancy in the country.. commercial rates obviously not going towards infrastructure maintenance.

The "Improvements" made to the traffic calming chicane just past the medical centre on Mill Rd. and on approach to the mini-roundabouts is simply dreadful and has actually made the surface much worse than it was 2 weeks ago. I am at a loss why the engineer responsible has not taken the workers responsible to task on this shoddy and unacceptable work, I know if this was in the private sector, the workers would not have been paid and would have been made remove the lumps of tarmac.

The 2 mini roundabouts at the end of Mill road are a farce.
    They are clearly not fit for purpose, they have crumbled to bits and must be replaced.
    Again, why has the engineer responsible not held the supplier to account and had them replaced, or the cost refunded so something else can be installed.
    This is not even mentioning the incredibly dangerous pedestrian crossings planted at the exit of a roundabout, whoever came up with this idea may well be held to account when the inevitable accident happens, I only hope the injuries and damage are minimal.

There seems to be no consequence for sub-standard delivery and no accountability.. who is signing off on these works and how can the local town planners drive past these many embarrassments without making them better.

I have to agree and add some thoughts.

The improvement between St. Kevins and the BeachHouse is very good, however the approach to this is dreadful.
    From Johnson & Staunton to St. Kevins is really bad to the extent you need to cross the white line to avoid hazardous pot-holes.

As above, from the Burnaby Bar to the Golf club entrance is a disgraceful reflection of the town, a town with the highest commercial occupancy in the country.. commercial rates obviously not going towards infrastructure maintenance.

The "Improvements" made to the traffic calming chicane just past the medical centre on Mill Rd. and on approach to the mini-roundabouts is simply dreadful and has actually made the surface much worse than it was 2 weeks ago. I am at a loss why the engineer responsible has not taken the workers responsible to task on this shoddy and unacceptable work, I know if this was in the private sector, the workers would not have been paid and would have been made remove the lumps of tarmac.

The 2 mini roundabouts at the end of Mill road are a farce.
    They are clearly not fit for purpose, they have crumbled to bits and must be replaced.
    Again, why has the engineer responsible not held the supplier to account and had them replaced, or the cost refunded so something else can be installed.
    This is not even mentioning the incredibly dangerous pedestrian crossings planted at the exit of a roundabout, whoever came up with this idea may well be held to account when the inevitable accident happens, I only hope the injuries and damage are minimal.

There seems to be no consequence for sub-standard delivery and no accountability.. who is signing off on these works and how can the local town planners drive past these many embarrassments without making them better.
    Careful now, or it may be taken as a personal attack on those that may be responsible for the oversight of this.

The patchwork on the potholes leading up to the Killincarrig roundabouts would be laughable if they weren’t so dangerous.

Ramps and the bridge near Delgany NS remain untouched and crumbling.

Local councillors and local TD’s must pass these roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

This was posted before by one of our frequent posters. Worthy to be posted again.

https://youtu.be/P0TDGSZDZhM

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

The two "mini-roundabouts" have now completely disintegrated and come apart leaving large lumps of the structure lying on the road.
    How local council & those responsable are turning a blind eye to this really is an embarrassment to them and their function in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The two "mini-roundabouts" have now completely disintegrated and come apart leaving large lumps of the structure lying on the road.
    How local council & those responsable are turning a blind eye to this really is an embarrassment to them and their function in the town.

resurfacing of Mill Rd. is imminent - maybe they'll fix up the roundabouts at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Driving around Delgany and Greystones is like the Grand National. Poorly built ramps (some way too high) , huge potholes and uneven surfaces. My car is wrecked.

Delgany village is particularly atrocious - poor or no road markings, pot holes, double decker buses trying to negotiate blind bends, illegal parking outside the Delgany...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Resurfacing on the Mill road today. Should make a big improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Cerco wrote: »
    Resurfacing on the Mill road today. Should make a big improvement.

they're only doing from Killincarrig to Shoreline though, they need to do the rest all the way to the station as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jpd

The bit with the chicane, in front of Medical Centre, is being done

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

loyatemu wrote: »
    they're only doing from Killincarrig to Shoreline though, they need to do the rest all the way to the station as well.

In the last few weeks, two Dublin Busses that I was travelling on have been damaged going over the ramp outside Brereton Carpets.

A metal plate under the wheelchair ramp was dislodged or bent out of shape.

Driving around Delgany and Greystones is like the Grand National. Poorly built ramps (some way too high) , huge potholes and uneven surfaces. My car is wrecked.

Delgany village is particularly atrocious - poor or no road markings, pot holes, double decker buses trying to negotiate blind bends, illegal parking outside the Delgany...

Bang on with your assessment..

I had to laugh when I saw one of the Councillors being congratulated on local social media for how great she is getting the footpath improved from Chapel Road to St Laurence's school-yeah, great work-but a car will still lose control when it hits a pothole on that road and plough into same footpath...

Absolutely laughable the management of the roads-how a district engineer can stand by as roads are dug up by private contractors and replaced in a manner that my 7 year old would be ashamed of is, to be frank, a dereliction of duty, but hey, he has his 6 figure remuneration, so he's graaaaannnnd..:mad:

ckeego wrote: »
    Bang on with your assessment..

I had to laugh when I saw one of the Councillors being congratulated on local social media for how great she is getting the footpath improved from Chapel Road to St Laurence's school-yeah, great work-but a car will still lose control when it hits a pothole on that road and plough into same footpath...

Absolutely laughable the management of the roads-how a district engineer can stand by as roads are dug up by private contractors and replaced in a manner that my 7 year old would be ashamed of is, to be frank, a dereliction of duty, but hey, he has his 6 figure remuneration, so he's graaaaannnnd..:mad:

Its deplorable. Private contractors are not policed at all. They leave a complete mess and head off laughing.

A couple of years ago, while driving in the North, I listened to a radio call in show where the callers were complaining that a new manhole cover was not correctly installed and aligned to the road surface - for four whole days!

They thought it was a disgrace!

No wonder they fear a united Ireland!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭skelly22

jpd wrote: »
    The bit with the chicane, in front of Medical Centre, is being done
    Looks like they were going to do it but unfortunately the budget wasn't quite there to look after the additional couple of square metres this would entail. The "Temporary Road Surface" signs are gone so looks like we're stuck with yet more slipshod work from WCC. Hopefully I'm wrong.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

I'm also a regular cyclist in the Greystones/Delgany area and I'm always amazed at the appalling condition of the roads around there - is there a reason that the maintenance/repair is not done regularly?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jpd

No money

• Advertisement

jpd wrote: »
    No money
    No money yet a quango of councillors getting paid a handy salary for doing SFA

C3PO wrote: »
    I'm also a regular cyclist in the Greystones/Delgany area and I'm always amazed at the appalling condition of the roads around there - is there a reason that the maintenance/repair is not done regularly?

Yes - Gob****es in charge. Anyone happening upon Greystones for the first time might very well get the impression that there is NOBODY in charge. Or at least nobody in charge who actually gives a damn. Apart from the crumbling roads, take a look at the expensive granite plaza outside the DART station - coated in months of dirt & grime. Not because of the dry spell but because of ZERO maintenance on the part of those responsible. Or the appallingly ill-thought-out pathway surfacing between the south beach & the cove, caked in dog sh*t and all sorts of god-knows-what with, yep you’ve guessed it, ZERO maintenance. Blue flag my arse! Hard to believe so much money is spent on projects like these with absolutely no plan as to how they're going to be maintained. #nobodyincharge

skelly22 wrote: »
    Looks like they were going to do it but unfortunately the budget wasn't quite there to look after the additional couple of square metres this would entail. The "Temporary Road Surface" signs are gone so looks like we're stuck with yet more slipshod work from WCC. Hopefully I'm wrong.....
    So it's finally done properly! One small step for man....I think more planning went into fixing that than went into most of the Apollo missions!. Hopefully now they'll get the stretch from LIDL to St. Kevin's sorted next.

skelly22 wrote: »
    So it's finally done properly! One small step for man....I think more planning went into fixing that than went into most of the Apollo missions!. Hopefully now they'll get the stretch from LIDL to St. Kevin's sorted next.

Or better still, continue the improvement up and through to Delgany - via the 'Magic Roundabouts' (built by Zebedee?).

And please please please get rid of the ridiculous giant ramps on the road from Killincarrig to Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Or better still, continue the improvement up and through to Delgany - via the 'Magic Roundabouts' (built by Zebedee?).

And please please please get rid of the ridiculous giant ramps on the road from Killincarrig to Tesco

Or the more ridiculous ramps on Bellevue Road!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

It would be more than interesting to find out what percentage of Greystones generated Property Tax is actually spent on civil works/road maintenance in Greystones.

legrand wrote: »
    It would be more than interesting to find out what percentage of Greystones generated Property Tax is actually spent on civil works/road maintenance in Greystones.

Spot on. Another issue is that the miniscule percentage actually spent on our roads is misdirected.

We need to spend money to clean up the mess made by prevous 'investments' such as those dreadful ramps, the death trap mini roundabouts which are wrecked after less than a year and the slowest traffic lights known to mankind (at the turn for Tesco).

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

Thanks, but I really can't take any credit for that particular improvement ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

A lot of cones being laid out this morning?

• Advertisement

C3PO wrote: »
    A lot of cones being laid out this morning?
    More likely on a Sunday to be the Triathlon rather than any roadworks prep!!

Advertisement