Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest way to let a property for short term

Options
  • 25-01-2018 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭

I've just bought a 3 bed house but my partner and I live and work abroad and we won't be in a position to move home into it until October.

The house is a new build so has no furniture or white goods whatsoever, or even flooring for that matter just yet.

What is the simplest way to go about letting it out for a ~6 month fixed term contract until I'm ready to move into it? Are there agencies that would manage it? Is there such a thing as an agency that would rent furniture to go into the house for the period? I doubt it would be easy to rent an unfurnished property for such a short term, but I'd rather wait until I was moving in to choose my own furniture in my own time as much as possible.

As I'm really only making sure it's not going to waste until I can move back, I would prioritise whatever option is the least hassle over what might bring in the most rental income.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Where's the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭quokula

It's in Ashbourne

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

In this situation I think it would be a mistake to rent the property. As you indicate there is no flooring at present as well as well as white goods. While you could rent it unfurnished the risk is you will get in an unsuitable tenant. More than likely it will cost you 5K+ to put in the above at a very basic rate.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I can think of no scenario where this would be a good financial decision for you.

A months rent would go the the agency to find you a tenant, then ongoing fees to manage the tenancy. That's before you consider paying someone to floor/furnish the house, insurance, tax, capital gains mess and of course the ultimate risk you won't get the house back in a timely manner when you return.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Graham wrote: »
    I can think of no scenario where this would be a good financial decision for you.

A months rent would go the the agency to find you a tenant, then ongoing fees to manage the tenancy. That's before you consider paying someone to floor/furnish the house, insurance, tax, capital gains mess and of course the ultimate risk you won't get the house back in a timely manner when you return.
    On the other hand, the rent accrued would make a fair dent in the bill to finish and furnish the house in the way the OP would ultimately want to. They could always just rent by the room, keeping one room for themselves and move in straight away when they get back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

endacl wrote: »
    On the other hand, the rent accrued would make a fair dent in the bill to finish and furnish the house in the way the OP would ultimately want to. They could always just rent by the room, keeping one room for themselves and move in straight away when they get back.

Still have all the costs. Even with the most absurdly optimistic outlook, I can't see how the OP would end up with anything more than a couple of months rent for all the hassle and risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭utmbuilder

Op would be insane to rent this, too much media coverage daily telling tenants not to leave their homes

Let alone if his new home got damaged

Could you afford for a tenant not to pay you rent for 12 to 18 months ? It happens and you can't even **** them out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

You know I wouldn't be too dismissive. I know of two mates who moved over here from uk (who wanted unfurnished) for work. They wanted unfurnished to see if they settled in a new job before moving children and wives before school started here. It was so hard to find a place. Maybe have a look at companies around Ashbourne?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

At the very minimum you're going to need to put flooring and white goods in to let it, even unfurnished.

If you did the kitchen, hall, 1 bedroom and bathrooms plus any connecting areas with flooring, furniture and necessities then lock off the rest of the house you could airbnb it using a cleaner/friend to do changeover.

amtc wrote: »
    You know I wouldn't be too dismissive. I know of two mates who moved over here from uk (who wanted unfurnished) for work. They wanted unfurnished to see if they settled in a new job before moving children and wives before school started here. It was so hard to find a place. Maybe have a look at companies around Ashbourne?

These sort of people are looking for longterm lets they are not interested in moving into a house and moving again in September
    At the very minimum you're going to need to put flooring and white goods in to let it, even unfurnished.

If you did the kitchen, hall, 1 bedroom and bathrooms plus any connecting areas with flooring, furniture and necessities then lock off the rest of the house you could airbnb it using a cleaner/friend to do changeover.

By the time you would have the house furnished and paid someone to clean it you would be at nothing

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

These sort of people are looking for longterm lets they are not interested in moving into a house and moving again in September

By the time you would have the house furnished and paid someone to clean it you would be at nothing

Presumably the op will need the flooring, white goods and furniture themselves when they move in. Even if they're shipping stuff home they'll probably need to add a few bits and pieces. By and large furnishing one bedroom shouldn't incur additional expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Did you get the government HTB scheme?

Would you be in trouble for renting it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

You would be insane to risk not getting the house back when you return in October, for the sake of a few months rent at best. Remember you will pay tax on the income, you will have to register with RTB, you will lose the benefit of the tax relief for PPR when you sell (though only for one year)

If you have family who you trust who would like to rent it that might work, otherwise don't do it.

you could find yourself funding the mortgage and paying rent for a place for you to live in yourself and funding long and protracted RTB and court actions to try to recover your house come October. There are real risks involved in renting it out.

I am not even touching on potential damage/parties/annoyance of your new neighbours/it being rented by someone wanting to set up a brothel or drug growing house.

Not worth it.

Presumably the op will need the flooring, white goods and furniture themselves when they move in. Even if they're shipping stuff home they'll probably need to add a few bits and pieces. By and large furnishing one bedroom shouldn't incur additional expenses.

Yes they will but they are at present abroad and will pay top dollar to partially furnish and floor it, not to mind curtains, curtain poles etc. It is unlikly that they will manage to furnish it to a spec they will like longterm while abroad.

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Op, have you considered Airbnb?

I put a property on Airbnb on 13th of this month with a six month calendar bar, I can't believe how many weekends it's booked up already. I have a €80 cleaning fee, you could see if you can give €100 to someone to hold the key and clean the place each Monday morning.

Advertisement