Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House insurance claim

• 25-01-2018 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    I had a leak last week under my hall tiles, the plumber took up some tiles in the hall and wooden floors in the dining room. I rang the insurance and the assessor is coming tomorrow morning. Tonight I had to call the plumber as heating wasn’t working again. There is another leak, he is coming back tomorrow to try and figure out where it is. I rang the assessor and she is still coming down tomorrow. I have never had to do this before, what do I claim for? Is it going to be considered two claims now because of the second leak. Excess is 500 Euro on first claim. I just want the house fixed properly, no over claiming or anything like that but I just don’t know what I Am doing. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi Cally752000, welcome to Boards.

I've moved your thread across to an Insurance forum where people may be more knowledgeable and able to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Water doesn't always come out where the leak is, so the 2 instances may well be connected. If so, only one policy excess will apply. If they are not related, it will be treated as separate claims.

The cover under a policy is the damage CAUSED BY, the escape of water. Therefore, cover is often excluded for the repair itself if the cause is something like a corroded pipe. The damage the escaping water causes should be fine.

Before your contractor starts pulling the place apart to find the source of the problem, discuss "trace and access" with the loss adjuster. There can be limits on the amount of investigation cover available.

If it is discovered that you have an inherent problem with your plumbing, such as evidence of widespread corrosion in many areas, the cost of rectifying that is excluded. As said above, cover is for the damage caused by the escape of water, it is not a maintenance contract.

Loss adjusters, although appointed by your insurers, are generally very helpful, so don't be afraid to discuss options and solutions with them. It would be helpful to have your contractor there when he calls

Advertisement