Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cider brew with thick viscosity??

Options
  • 25-01-2018 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi I tried to brew my fist batch of cider with Apple juice, Cider yeast and one kilo of sugar. It's been fermenting for almost two weeks and all airlock activity stopped after 5/6 days. I opened the bucket today to sample it and the liquid had a strange thickness to it. We're not talking runny jelly or anything but definitely thicker than water or cider.
    Does anybody know what happened? I sanitised everything before starting. It doesn't taste great either, I'd rather not add more sugar.
    Can it be saved?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

How much liquid did you have in total before adding the sugar/yeast?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 rubberducky1888

mordeith wrote: »
    How much liquid did you have in total before adding the sugar/yeast?

25 litres

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

25 litres

I've only ever had any kind of viscosity when making elder flower champagne and the only reason I can think of is I added too much yeast. I make it every year but only once did it end up in that thickened state. The yeast is only a guess on my part though. Elderflowers have their own natural yeast but this varies from year to year. I added no extra yeast this year and didn't get an natural fermentation.
    Sorry I've gone way OT :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

mordeith wrote: »
    I've only ever had any kind of viscosity when making elder flower champagne and the only reason I can think of is I added too much yeast. I make it every year but only once did it end up in that thickened state. The yeast is only a guess on my part though. Elderflowers have their own natural yeast but this varies from year to year. I added no extra yeast this year and didn't get an natural fermentation.
    Sorry I've gone way OT :rolleyes:

Made elderflower champagne one year and added no additional yeast - like yours I ended up with the most incredible thickened brew which actually tasted fine but the viscosity made it undrinkable. I reckon it is a strain of natural yeast that has some kind of special properties!

Wonder if there is a market for it out there somewhere? ;)

Advertisement