Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phonewatch Alarm Monitoring

Options
  • 25-01-2018 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all I would greatly appreciate some advice as I feel Phonewatch have swindled us. We signed up to a buy now pay later offer in Dec 2013. We received a Smart Security system and battery powered LED unit worth €740. We bought into a 12month contract. Initially the monitoring was cheaper and raised after 12months so we cancelled the monitoring. They reduced the price and we re entered into a contract for 12months. When we did so they serviced the alarm after which we were unable to set it when we went to bed as it would go off. We cancelled it again in December as the 12month contract was up. They wrote to us noting they would be grateful if we contacted them to arrange a disconnection visit and we would be charged. They also noted if the alarm was activated we would be charged. We contacted Phonewatch and spoke to a rep who was quite smart on the phone and noted the alarm needed to be removed. We asked for the managers contact details and wrote a long email noting we had paid for our system and therefor it was our property. We received no response just a letter after Christmas stating they were sorry we were leaving. Then one morning we went to set the alarm and we could not do it so it appears that they have disconnected the alarm remotely. None of the info we received from Phonewatch indicated if we decided to stop using their service that our alarm could not be used. Surely there are consumer rights affected here?
    Does anyone know if there is anything we can do to programme the alarm so it works. It is 4 years old and I really do not want to have to pay €800 approx for a new alarm. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It's not your property it's phonewatches. It's a rental agreement that's how they advertise such cheap prices. It's all in the terms and conditions so probably not a lot you can do. Put it down to experience, get it removed and get in a decent alarm system.
    Take a look around the forum here and you will see plenty of good advice on what to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Infinity Loop

oj1976 wrote: »
    Hi all I would greatly appreciate some advice as I feel Phonewatch have swindled us. We signed up to a buy now pay later offer in Dec 2013. We received a Smart Security system and battery powered LED unit worth €740. We bought into a 12month contract. Initially the monitoring was cheaper and raised after 12months so we cancelled the monitoring. They reduced the price and we re entered into a contract for 12months. When we did so they serviced the alarm after which we were unable to set it when we went to bed as it would go off. We cancelled it again in December as the 12month contract was up. They wrote to us noting they would be grateful if we contacted them to arrange a disconnection visit and we would be charged. They also noted if the alarm was activated we would be charged. We contacted Phonewatch and spoke to a rep who was quite smart on the phone and noted the alarm needed to be removed. We asked for the managers contact details and wrote a long email noting we had paid for our system and therefor it was our property. We received no response just a letter after Christmas stating they were sorry we were leaving. Then one morning we went to set the alarm and we could not do it so it appears that they have disconnected the alarm remotely. None of the info we received from Phonewatch indicated if we decided to stop using their service that our alarm could not be used. Surely there are consumer rights affected here?
    Does anyone know if there is anything we can do to programme the alarm so it works. It is 4 years old and I really do not want to have to pay €800 approx for a new alarm. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Did you ever get sorted on this please? In the same boat as you. They've stopped the alarm working now even though when I signed up I was told (because I asked) that the alarm monitoring was optional and that the alarm would continue to work after I left monitoring but only like a typical alarm and no guards notified.

Advertisement