Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For six years Iv been paying for 6mb broadband, its never been higher then 635 kbs

Options
  • 26-01-2018 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Iv been paying for the account all this time on behalf of my Dad, I never even checked till recently when my Dad wanted to get an internet TV box in that previously would not work with the supposed 6 mb broad band, we switched internet providers to get the full 12 mb at a cheaper rate, our air account is still active and it was only that I was checking the speed of the new provider in comparison to the speed of eir did I discover this, the speed has never exceeded 1 mb and Iv been paying 60 Euro per month for 12 mb for over 6 years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 eir: Kevin

Hi there,

The service that you're receiving is not based on the speeds that you get but the type of broadband you're receiving. Unfortunately broadband speeds will always vary from house to house. 

I'd recommend the account holder chatting with our technical support team here and the guys will be able to look into the speeds for you.

-Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭edmethod

eir: Kevin wrote: »
    Hi there,

The service that you're receiving is not based on the speeds that you get but the type of broadband you're receiving. Unfortunately broadband speeds will always vary from house to house. 

I'd recommend the account holder chatting with our technical support team here and the guys will be able to look into the speeds for you.

-Kevin

I won't be brushed off with a poor excuse, I spoke to Eir today, I was passed from billing to technical to two more branches then given the same answer I got here, I then rang the technical department again, they checked and then said the line was faulty and that's the reason for the 635 kb speed, we have had the line checked plenty of times when there was zero service and never were we told it was there was a fault giving us only 635 kps, Iv finished my contract with air so no point in giving me the full 6 mb Now after 6 years, our new internet provider pulled the same stunt it was supposed to be 12 mb the technician who installed it assured my Dad he was getting the full 12 mb, I checked it only got just over 1mb and now that Iv rang to complain there giving us exactly the service we paid for, this is cowboy tactics, if you don't spot and report it they don't bother giving you what you rightfully payed for, the internet was for my elderly father I assumed I was dealing with a reputable company and had no reason to believe they were doing this, 60 Euro X 12 months X 6 years = 4320 Euro - the 720 Euro for the 635 kps of service we actually received and I have been defrauded to the amount of 3600 Euro, I'm not letting eir get away with this, I have consumer rights, I'm taking video evidence and I plan on contacting my solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

edmethod wrote: »
    eir: Kevin wrote: »
    Hi there,

-Kevin

I won't be brushed off with a poor excuse,  I spoke to Eir today, I was passed from billing to technical to two more branches then given the same answer I got here, I then rang the technical department again, they checked and then said the line was faulty and that's the reason for the 635 kb speed, we have had the line checked plenty of times when there was zero service and never were we told it was there was a fault giving us only 635 kps, Iv finished my contract with air so no point in giving me the full 6 mb Now after 6 years, our new internet provider pulled the same stunt it was supposed to be 12 mb the technician who installed it assured my Dad he was getting the full 12 mb, I checked it only got just over 1mb and now that Iv rang to complain there giving us exactly the service we paid for, this is cowboy tactics, if you don't spot and report it they don't bother giving you what you rightfully payed for, the internet was for my elderly father I assumed I was dealing with a reputable company and had no reason to believe they were doing this, 60 Euro X 12 months X 6 years = 4320 Euro - the 720 Euro for the 635 kps of service we actually received and I have been defrauded to the amount of 3600 Euro, I'm not letting eir get away with this, I have consumer rights, I'm taking video evidence and I plan on contacting my solicitor.
    I understand your frustrations here. 

The internet service is never a guaranteed speed I'm afraid, we advertise as 'up to' for this reason. Your package may be up to a certain speed however your line may not be capable of holding this speed due to the line type or the distance from the exchange.

If there is a fault on the line this can cause issues with your service, once it is reported we can arrange for it to repaired and you can be credited back for the downtime from when you report it until it has been fixed. We would not be aware of a fault on the line unless the customer notifies us of this.

Thanks

Tracey 

Advertisement