Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help! I am trying to purchase a home in Ireland and cannot get an agent(buyer

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Averagevegan

I guess what you need is a home relocator service instead than estate agent.
    A lot of big company relocate staff here so they do exist.

Estate agents generally treat everybody badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Boncap wrote: »
    Thank you so much for all of your responses and good advice. We have now contacted eldron. I will let you know if I get a response.

Hopefully they get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

I would first find out how best to get your money into the country. How much tax you need to pay to bring that money in. Your going to have to prove how you got that money and show tax returns showing that you were able to acumilate that amount of money. Trust me the Irish Govt is going to want a nice little fee for letting you bring that money in. It would be different if you were Immigrating but your just looking to invest money in property that is where you need to be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

Palmy wrote: »
    I would first find out how best to get your money into the country. How much tax you need to pay to bring that money in. Your going to have to prove how you got that money and show tax returns showing that you were able to acumilate that amount of money. Trust me the Irish Govt is going to want a nice little fee for letting you bring that money in. It would be different if you were Immigrating but your just looking to invest money in property that is where you need to be careful.

As regards tax, what particular type of taxation have you in mind? If it is not a principal private residence it will be liable to Capital gains Tax on re-sale. What else do you have in mind? Am I missing something? I am aware that money laundering checks are likely - as they would be for any large cash transaction.

To be honest regarding taxes I wouldn’t have a clue. That’s why I’m telling the original poster to look into what he has to pay as a non resident. He might find it’s not worth the trouble. It’s legally getting the money into the country and how much it’s going to cost him to do so would be what I’d be concentrating on. Foreign investors in the States can’t send any more than $9999, doing so gets reported to the IRS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,327 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

This post contains the most unbelievable rubbish. There is a world Of dfference between having to substantiate the source of funds for anti-money laundering purposes and the misguided suggestion that the government charges “a nice little fee” for investments into the country.

As Humphrey Appleby might say, si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.

Marcusm wrote: »

This post contains the most unbelievable rubbish. There is a world Of dfference between having to substantiate the source of funds for anti-money laundering purposes and the misguided suggestion that the government charges “a nice little fee” for investments into the country.

As Humphrey Appleby might say, si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.

All I am saying is he might want to check first. The original poster doesn’t seem to know anything. He just wants to buy property over the phone from an agent and send money. Would you not jump on a plane and come over to the supposed country your going to drop a couple of hundred grand on property and look. He doesn’t even know what area he’s even looking in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

OP - what part of the country are you looking at buying in and whats your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Boncap

Hi all.
    I am looking for an apartment or townhouse that would allow me to come to your beautiful country on a more regular basis, and as an inheritance I can leave for my grandchildren so that they are more easily motivated to make Ireland part of their lives too.
    I have a deep soul connection to your beautiful country.
    I am only looking to invest about $100,000 into buying this second home for myself. Nothing illegal or strange about it. I believe a lot of people do buy homes in Ireland who do not live there Year round. As a matter of fact, I'm sure this occurs in all countries around the world!

Thank you all for your contributions to this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

Hi all.
    I am looking for an apartment or townhouse that would allow me to come to your beautiful country on a more regular basis, and as an inheritance I can leave for my grandchildren so that they are more easily motivated to make Ireland part of their lives too.
    I have a deep soul connection to your beautiful country.
    I am only looking to invest about $100,000 into buying this second home for myself. Nothing illegal or strange about it. I believe a lot of people do buy homes in Ireland who do not live there Year round. As a matter of fact, I'm sure this occurs in all countries around the world!

I think you've revealed your problem here. 100k Canadian dollars is about 65k Euro. In Ireland right now this will buy you a site or a small apartment in an isolated or run-down location. Look at my home.ie and do a search by price. This is why nobody is answering your calls I'm afraid.

My advice if you want to spend more time here is to rent a holiday home somewhere nice on the coast for a few weeks a year.

I'm talking about 100,000 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

Your post had a $ sign. I think my point is still valid. Unfortunately €100k buys you very little in Ireland at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Where are you looking?

Have you taken tax, financial and legal advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

€100k home isn't worth the hassle unless the agent is working off a higher fee than normal. A lot of them work off 1%. I would think that most agents wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of an overseas transaction for €1000.

For a €100k you are taliking about a 1 bed apartment or fixer upper cottage in the rural west. You're better off coming here for a week to check things out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

There are properties available at that budget. However, they will generally be in quiet rural areas and villages which are well "off the beaten track" and with relatively few local amenities , etc. It will not be near a city or large town or popular tourist destination.

You need to be sure this is what you have in mind. Would it appeal to your grandchildren? As others have said, be very careful about proceeding unless you know and like the location. Prices are low in these areas because demand is low. Properties are hard to sell.You will find this should you need to sell again subsequently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

For a €100k you are taliking about a 1 bed apartment or fixer upper cottage in the rural west.

Quaint little 2-bed pad, 45mins from the M50.

€95,000

http://www.daft.ie/meath/houses-for-sale/kells/drumlayne-cottage-kingscourt-road-moynalty-kells-meath-1629285/

ZmU1YWEyNzZhMzYwNDRiMWMzOWNmYzlhYzA1MTFjZmOc2zNnFvcbpsI-3F1PYb3raHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL21lZGlhbWFzdGVyLXMzZXUvNS8yLzUyNTg3Mjc0YmViY2E3MTlkYTBiNTUzZmRjNWY5NzEwLmpwZ3x8fHx8fDYwMHg0NTB8fHx8.jpg

0823ea86-60a1-41c1-b279-59c5615a308a_l.jpg

MjAxZWEwMDYwZGFkODMyZmQ2ODY3NWM5MTg4MzNmN2Rg000A4x_d4AbjjxIDwCgRaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL21lZGlhbWFzdGVyLXMzZXUvNy82Lzc2M2NjMGQyODEyNjI0M2U5ZWQ3YzgxMmZmNzNmOWM5LmpwZ3x8fDcwMGx8fHx8fHx8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭corks finest

Also, I can not book a viewing when no one will call me back

on some properties there are videos posted, youd need to get your ass over here to physically view etc, otherwise the scamners will fleece you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 CorkonianBoy

My two cents based on my experience:
    - Make sure that you know the exchange rate if you are sending money to Ireland.  Find a cheap way to do it. 
    - You may need to open an Irish bank account. Not easy or possibly impossible to do this from overseas.   If you do not have this account, you will need to wire money a bunch of times from home bank to your solicitor or vendor's agent for the down payment, balance of price, fees, etc.  In US you have to file with the IRS if you have an overseas account with a balance at any time of $10,000 or more.  It's a simple form to file.  Check with your solicitor.
    - future taxes to worry about are estate tax and capital gains. You can check this on-line with Irish Revenue Dept.
    - don't expect property to appreciate like it might in Canada or States especially if you are looking in rural Ireland.
    - you may need to get a PPS number.  Check with your solicitor.  If you need one, it may take a few months.

Advertisement