Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Alarm - Do I need a licensed installer to repair?

Options
  • 26-01-2018 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I have an Astec alarm which needs repair. Water sometimes gets into our bellbox (only about 2 years old) and the seb interface board has corroded. I have the components but should I be searching for a licensed installer to work on it? The original installer does not appear on the PSA list.

I always declare having a house alarm on my insurance but I'm concerned it may invalidate my insurance if work isn't carried out by someone not on the PSA list.

Finally, is it common for water to get into relatively new bell boxes? I don't want a repeat of the problem.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You must use a licenced installer. It's the law.
    Water should not be getting water in a bellbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mumser

Thanks Koolkid.

So my next step to find such an installer is to search the register on psa.gov.ie ? or is there another way? It's hard to know where to start in particular I'd like to search by region ie Dublin 18

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Your best bet is to search by area & then look for recommendations from close to you.
    Most things can be repaired on Astec so don't accept that it needs replacing without looking at it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

He is correct, you must use a PSA licensed installer unless of course you can do the work yourself. Obviously if you do it yourself the certification (which lasts one year) would not be valid.

Advertisement