Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accounting Career advice please

• 26-01-2018 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all

I have started exams to be an accounting technician and then I plan to move on to the full ACCA. However, I have little experience and finding it tough to get work. I recently done a level 5 QQI course in manual and computerised payroll and I'm wondering should I look for more payroll jobs as a learning experience while I study as I see a fair few of the pop up recently and then branch into accounting as altho I'm studying right now I'm not having any practical experience.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭thomlin

Hi Decky84,

Payroll is only one aspect of accounting and with the jobs out there now it is for experienced payroll operators or managers.

No career is easy to break into I started out in accounting 14 years ago coming from an IT background and was in the same boat no experience. My first job was a part time (2 days) maternity contract in a small company for 10 months.

I got the job because even though I had no exprience I showed I had relevant knowledge and ambition, but I also had patience and a willingness to start at the very bottom.

I've met people over the years who say they want to be accountants but don't want to take a pay cut or work for low pay till they gain the necessary experience and/or qualify don't be one of those or your accounting career will never start.

I admit it is harder now to find a job with no experience especially now having a degree is a minimum requirement by a lot of employers which I personally think is unfair as there are plenty of well educated idiots on this little island of ours.

If you can look for a part time position as these usually tend to be the ones employers have a hard time filling failing that you could if possible offer to work for a month for free in a practice or business to get the experience and a letter of reference plus if you did a good job they might offer you a job.

One other piece of advise don't let the hunt and the rejection put you off becoming an accountant patience and persistence will stand to you in your career and I can say that from experience.

I wish you the best of luck with your accounting career.

Tom

Advertisement