Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT visual defects fail

Options
  • 26-01-2018 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Well, just failed the NCT.

Fails are listed under Visual Defects.

Indicators on the nearside front failed yet they are working? When I asked he said 'not bright enough' To my amateur eye front right & left look the same but I assume a bulb change should fix that one?

Front Suspension: Ball Joint worn, nearside front. I'll get this replaced but will this be a visual inspection on retest or does this mean he has to use the equipment again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

First one, not sure why. Dirty glass maybe? Are they getting n enough voltage?

Second sounds like they need to put it up on a lift which means bringing it into the hall again. I doubt they will be crawling on the ground outside to check this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Regards the indicator bulb, is it an orange bulb in a clear lense? It could've lost its 'orangeness' if you get me. I know the doe is strict on this. Either way I'd replace the bulbs and check the lense isn't frosted or blurred somehow.

With the ball joint I'm not sure, did it pass the other suspension tests or are they void because of th worn ballpoint?
    They usually tell you if your back for a visual or paid retest. Or they highlight the €28 retest on the fail sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭leblanc

Yeah its odd. I've changed the bulb for the indicator but again I can see a whole lot of difference.
    I dropped into my local mechanic after that, he was a bit baffled by the indicator fail but reckons after he changes the joint he'll have to do the tracking and says he will drop it in to the test centre so there will be no retest charge. All a bit strange but if it means I get to keep €28 in my pocket I'm happy.

Check the bulb socket and make sure its clean.
    Take some 1200 sandpaper and rub it down on the inside.
    A bad connection with make the bulb dimmer..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

leblanc wrote: »
    Yeah its odd. I've changed the bulb for the indicator but again I can see a whole lot of difference.
    I dropped into my local mechanic after that, he was a bit baffled by the indicator fail but reckons after he changes the joint he'll have to do the tracking and says he will drop it in to the test centre so there will be no retest charge. All a bit strange but if it means I get to keep €28 in my pocket I'm happy.

If your mechanic thinks a fail on a ball joint and a retest on side slip is just a visual, I’d forget about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I too would be very shocked if a ball joint was just a visual retest and no €28 retest fee unless you know someone in there, they owe you a favour etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

My wife's car failed on a worn front ball joint, there was indeed a retest fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭greasepalm

as said if orange bulb lost paint dont they put down colour? clear bulbs over time go black and reduced light,also check correct bulbs are fitted like a 5w bulb in a 10w holder

yep paid retest for balljoint will confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Farmer Bob

leblanc wrote: »
    after he changes the joint he'll have to do the tracking and says he will drop it in to the test centre so there will be no retest charge. All a bit strange but if it means I get to keep €28 in my pocket I'm happy.

That's not a visual test.

I assume he'll be paying the retest fee when he brings the car to the test centre, and you'll be paying for it indirectly when he bills you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

If your mechanic thinks a fail on a ball joint and a retest on side slip is just a visual, I’d forget about him.

Where does it say that? The fact that he is doing the tracking tells me he knows its more than a visual.

• Advertisement
Advertisement