Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a nice Job.

Options
  • 26-01-2018 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I am leaving a place I have worked in, for the past 5 years, It's a lovely place to work, my boss is a really nice man, but there is nowhere for me to go in the company, only stay in my current role. I can't get promoted etc., so this is the end of the line for me here. I went to college for a total of 8 years (4 year degree 4 years of professional exams) so I want to grow in some way and put my qualification to use.

I got offered a really good job, in a better location in terms of my daily commute. It should take me under an hour to get there. Which is great. But the job is a massive step up for me. Its about 3 steps up really. I expect it will require long hours etc. But I can't say that for sure.

I have been in my current job for so long I am almost institutionalised in a sense to working a certain way. My boss is laid back, and he knows I do my work well, so never bothers me. He understands why I am leaving and said he would do the same in my position, He is the best boss I've ever had..

So what I am saying is I am very anxious about starting in the new place and not being good enough. I was honestly so shocked I got offered the position in the first place. Has anyone else experienced this? The inferiority complex? The nerves of the new job! How did you overcome it?

I think going into a new job and not feeling in some way confident in yourself is a disaster, so I really want change my thinking before I start. I have studied up on the role, so I am going in as prepared as I can be really. Any advice welcome :) sorry if this is a bit of a waffle thread!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

As long as you didn’t blow too much smoke on your CV you have nothing to worry about.
    You were chosen for your skills, experience and personally at interview.

It’s perfectly normal to be anxious starting a new job, the adrenaline from this spurs us on to do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭elephant85

Every job I've ever had I have that anxiety. And somehow I manage in each job and my employers have always been very happy with me. Doesn't stop me worrying though.. And I think that worry is what pushes me to so my best and when necessary work long hours if necessary. I think your anxiety can work for you.. as long as you don't let it overwhelm you. Just remember they hired you because they want you. You will do brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

I'm a month into a new job in pretty similar circumstances and still battling that feeling of not being good enough. It's so hard as everything is different, and even simple processes I would have done with my eyes closed are slightly different and take getting used to. I also really miss the relationships I'd built with colleagues.

That said I got great advice from one of my references who checked in with me last week and got the whole story of how hard it was!! She told me I was hired because I was what my new manager wanted in the role. They looked at my CV and experience, met me a few times, did reference checks and decided out of everyone, they wanted me to do the job, even though I had never done x y or z before.

Managers know who they have hired, so they will know if there are gaps, and so far my manager has been very good about putting plans in place to cover off those gaps in a suitable timeline.

So it is terrifying, and worrying and it will be hard, but just approach it in the best frame of mind you can, ask loads of questions, put the work in, and you will surprise yourself! And, just yesterday I found someone else in the office who has similar interests to me and we had a great chat over coffee, so relationships will come in time as well. fingers crossed it turns out to be everything you want! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

It's totally natural to be feeling apprehensive about starting any new job. It shows how much it means to you. Plus having spent so much time in your existing position this new role is highly coveted and you probably feel you have so much to lose if it doesn't work out.

That said, you have earned this new role. There is no reason why it shouldn't work out. You are qualified and experienced enough for them to hire you. Remind yourself of this often. Reading up on your role is a good idea but it can paint a stressful picture that may not be the case when you're in the throes of the job itself.

Talk to your new colleagues and manager once you've settled in, ask how they manage the workload, you may find that you're putting yourself under too much pressure or setting unrealistic expectations of yourself. The company may have performance guidelines and procedures that will give you a sense of assurance that your achievements are enough.

Don't forget you're 'the new guy/girl' so play that card when you feel the need. It can take anywhere for 3 months to a year to feel fully settled into a new place. Especially when you've had long established working relationships in your current role, and you're stepping into an environment where people will have their own long established working relationships and dynamics.

They will train you up to some degree and show you the ropes around the place so try to enjoy this achievement that you have worked so hard for and you so deserve!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

It’s normal to feel anxious but I’m sure you will soon settle in to your new role. Don’t be frightened to ask for help in the early days. Be nice to all your new colleagues - from the cleaners to the boss, you never know who might be able to help you when you need it! It sounds like you are on good terms with your current manager so he might be able to advise you if you are “stuck” on one particular aspect of your new job. Good luck with it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Perfectly normal feelings op. You are bound to be anxious and apprehensive. Take it by the neck and run with it. You are more than capable and obviously a positive/go and do it person,many others would be happy with the security of your present employment.
    The very best of luck,It will take you a little while to find your groove in there...but I'm sure you will.
    Bon Voyage !!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Lean into it, keep pushing yourself, even the worlds best leaders and managers ask themselves all the time are they doing enough, its when you become cocky and do not feel anxious is when you should worry : ) : )

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks a million for all the advice, it is very much appreciated.
    I am going to try and use the nerves of starting the new job to spur me on and make me work harder.

Leaving a job after 5 yrs in the same place, with a pension & healthcare, and good relationships is scary, but ultimately I applied because I wanted more.

A few friends have said I am mad to leave my current role, what about job security / etc. But Its me who will ultimately have to live with my decision and staying put is something I would do out of fear. Fear shouldn't stop me,so I definitely would have regretted not taking this position. :)

I'll come back and let you all know how I get on in six months time!

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

What you are describing is impostor syndrome. It's very common.

Fortunately, people can't see how you feel and what you think, they only see what you do. So go in with a confident air, smile, listen carefully, pay attention and do the best job you can. Even if inside you are wobbling :-).

You will soon become comfortable and your thoughts and feelings will follow the new confidence. Enjoy the new job!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

Best of luck in your new job. It'll be fine. Going forward in your career needs stepping out of your comfort zone but your new employer probably knows more about you than you do, if you get my drift. I'm 3 weeks into my retirement but I'm feeling that buzz of adrenaline from you about your new job that I used to get, (and still do about a new project I'm involved with). I'm looking forward to your post in 6 months, hopefully sooner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

You have plenty of experience and transferable skills, so you need to be confident. Ask for feedback, actively seek it out and action it in your new job. Really try hard to impress them in your probationary period and you'll be fine. Well done and good luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Don’t be afraid to ask questions if you are not sure. Good luck with it. Was in similar position number of years ago. Took me around 2 months to get a good nights sleep. Everything then just slotted into place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Sounds like a move is a good idea. Good luck with it.

Advertisement