Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eating in the cinema

• 26-01-2018 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

Why can some people not sit through a two hour film without bringing in a truck load of food - half of it stinking to high heaven, and all of it involving crunching and munching and slurping?
    No problem with someone quietly eating a bit of popcorn or some chocolate but the guy beside me last night was like a pig with his snout in a trough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Why can some people not sit through a two hour film without bringing in a truck load of food - half of it stinking to high heaven, and all of it involving crunching and munching and slurping?
    No problem with someone quietly eating a bit of popcorn or some chocolate but the guy beside me last night was like a pig with his snout in a trough.

Personally I don't feel the need to stock up on sweets when I go to the cinema but I know people that will always get popcorn etc. because they feel it's part of the cinema experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Try going to a cinema in Germany, not only can you drink beer but smoke cigarettes as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭georgina toadbum

Best part of going to the cinema is the popcorn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

Where else would i eat my nachos with extra cheese and jalapenos though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

These days, usually only if you bring your own stick of butter and a lighter. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭georgina toadbum

Billy86 wrote: »
    These days, usually only if you bring your own stick of butter and a lighter. :(

Odeon cinemas offer butter. I always get them to lash it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Billy86 wrote: »

Odeon in Castletroy, Limerick use butter. Its amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Try going to a cinema in Germany, not only can you drink beer but smoke cigarettes as well.

You can drink in some cinemas here. I know the Eye here in Galway serves beer/cider/wine.

I always eat something at the cinema. Usually popcorn or chocolate, nothing that would make any real noise/smell though.

What would people be eating that 'stinks to high heaven', realistically? Hot Dog is gone in two minutes, and nachos are hardly that strongly scented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Popcorn of course being a notoriously difficult foodstuff to prepare in your own home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I never really noticed.
    Probably because I'm there to watch a film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Netherlands was great like that, they had a half time break so you could get another round of drinks in, so your beer didn't get warm or flat before you got to the second bottle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

You can drink in some cinemas here. I know the Eye here in Galway serves beer/cider/wine.

I always eat something at the cinema. Usually popcorn or chocolate, nothing that would make any real noise/smell though.

What would people be eating that 'stinks to high heaven', realistically? Hot Dog is gone in two minutes, and nachos are hardly that strongly scented.

I think it's the sauce that goes with the nachos that really smells. Likewise while one hot dog is gone in a few minutes, if several people are eating them it takes longer than that and the smell continues to linger all over the place. I don't think too many people would like someone to sit down beside them on a bus and start eating hot smelly food, so why would they like someone doing it to them in a cinema.

As I said, no problem with food like popcorn or chocolate bars that can be eaten quietly and doesn't smell.

mordeith wrote: »
    Popcorn of course being a notoriously difficult foodstuff to prepare in your own home

Ah it is if you want to make cinema tasing popcorn. All the bits and bobs you have to get.

I think it's the sauce that goes with the nachos that really smells. Likewise while one hot dog is gone in a few minutes, if several people are eating them it takes longer than that and the smell continues to linger all over the place. I don't think too many people would like someone to sit down beside them on a bus and start eating hot smelly food, so why would they like someone doing it to them in a cinema.

As I said, no problem with food like popcorn or chocolate bars that can be eaten quietly and doesn't smell.

How does 5 peiple eating hotdogs take longer than one person eating a hot dog???

I mean i get it if 1 person was eating 5 hot dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

What i find amusing is how often people still frequent the cinema..........be cheaper to hire Brad Pitt to reenact the film in your living room! :-)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

What's your spaghetti policy here

7Ps7C4w.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Bracken81 wrote: »
    What i find amusing is how often people still frequent the cinema..........be cheaper to hire Brad Pitt to reenact the film in your living room! :-)

It is expensive but its fun and a lot more enjoyable than staying at home watching something

Guffy wrote: »
    How does 5 peiple eating hotdogs take longer than one person eating a hot dog???

I mean i get it if 1 person was eating 5 hot dogs.

Well unless the door opens at a set time and everyone rushes in at once, then you're going to have the 'eating of the hot dog' spread out from about ten minutes before the screen comes on, right through the ads and trailers and through the start of the film as people continue to arrive in dribs and drabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

The worst ones are the fat ****s with gallon buckets of everything, wedged into a seat and smacking their lips like jabba the hut. Gross.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Lovely, passive smoke, smelly clothes and people barging past you to piddle every ten minutes.:(
    Sweets in crinkly, rustly wrappers are the worst, especially when they are passed around a group- once you start to get really drawn in by an excellent scene, without fail *crinkle, crinkle* :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

mordeith wrote: »

But you'd never get that day old mature crispy yet rubbery taste/texture mix right, I think the butter/heart attack oil probably disguises it a bit.
    My other half wants the full cinema experience including the rip off popcorn and drinks, I try get her to smuggle in bottles of coke & bags of popcorn in her handbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

What cinemas allow smoking in them ? I've never come across it in all my time there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cinemas often get a very low percentage of the ticket sale; usually enough to just cover the cost of the paper! Cinemas make their money from the food. Thus no food = no cinema.

Well unless the door opens at a set time and everyone rushes in at once, then you're going to have the 'eating of the hot dog' spread out from about ten minutes before the screen comes on, right through the ads and trailers and through the start of the film as people continue to arrive in dribs and drabs.

Do you go to a one row cinema screen? Come off it. Tbh i think you are looking to be offended by smells than actually being hit by them. When was the last time four or five people realistically sat withing nose shot of you eating a hot dog.

Tbh the question should really be, who is the judgmental so and so who keeps looking at the majority of people for eating food in the cinema?

Lovely, passive smoke, smelly clothes and people barging past you to piddle every ten minutes.:(
    Sweets in crinkly, rustly wrappers are the worst, especially when they are passed around a group- once you start to get really drawn in by an excellent scene, without fail *crinkle, crinkle* :mad:

And there's always someone who has to rummage right down to the bottom of the bag to get their favourite caramel one - just as a dramatic scene is reaching its moving climax.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Um no you can't smoke in German cinemas, unless you travel back in time to the 70s.

Guffy wrote: »
    Do you go to a one row cinema screen? Come off it. Tbh i think you are looking to be offended by smells than actually being hit by them. When was the last time four or five people realistically sat withing nose shot of you eating a hot dog.

Tbh the question should really be, who is the judgmental so and so who keeps looking at the majority of people for eating food in the cinema?

Yeah, that's it. I sit in the cinema sniffing suspiciously and scouring the rows in case anyone has some nachos or hot dogs. I actually brought my binoculars last night in case I missed an 'imaginary' smell up the front row :D

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

I love popcorn, but you cannot say that it doesn't smell!!! A friend of mine hates popcorn and the smell of it! She doesn't go to the cinema because of it... she doesn't complain though I think she knows that she is weird!!

Yeah, that's it. I sit in the cinema sniffing suspiciously and scouring the rows in case anyone has some nachos or hot dogs. I actually brought my binoculars last night in case I missed an 'imaginary' smell up the front row :D

Knew it :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

They used to show a message onscreen :”don’t make your own sound effects” i.e chew and slurp like a pig.
    Now it’s all “feel free to buy our food and drinks”. Anything for a buck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

AryaStark wrote: »
    I love popcorn, but you cannot say that it doesn't smell!!! A friend of mine hates popcorn and the smell of it! She doesn't go to the cinema because of it... she doesn't complain though I think she knows that she is weird!!

Just go when its quiet, last time I was in a cinema, there was one old couple and another few people down the front, then another couple came as the trailers were about to start, needless to say, I began to get a bit miffed, after a bit of harrumphing and sighing, I began eating directly out of the buckets and trays like a pig to express my dissatisfaction, but I finished before the trailers ended.

Bracken81 wrote: »

This always baffles me, the cinema is not that expensive as an experience overall.

Assuming both people pay full price for a ticket, and get a large popcorn/drink each, the total cost here is about €36 for two people.

That's €36 for two hours of (hopefully) solid entertainment, decent snacks, and an all around good evening out for two people.

I can't see how that's bad value for most couples who go to the cinema once every two weeks or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I can never understand these threads. I don't contribute much to this problem - I might eat a bar of chocolate during a movie, and take care with wrapper noise while doing it - but I'm far more bothered (and far more often) by the light from mobile phone screens and the noise from chatty assholes than I've ever been from someone eating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

anyone who inflicts the smell of buttered popcorn on another person should be garotted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This him?

gif-popcorn-food-1212454.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I will always remember the time when a girl sitting next to me was drinking out of a large coke. She kept picking it up to drink from it, holding it with one hand gripping the top. Then the inevitable happened. She was left with the lid and straw in her hand and I was left with a litre of coke all over me. She barely got any on herself. I was fuming but being too nice, I said "It's grand". :mad:

Was in my socks and everything. They should give people extra long straws so they don't need to pick it up or lean their head close to a strangers lap to drink some.

Just to add, this was a stranger on the other side of me, not my girlfriend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

kenmc wrote: »
    Netherlands was great like that, they had a half time break so you could get another round of drinks in, so your beer didn't get warm or flat before you got to the second bottle

And a quick "schmoke" as well no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I never eat in the cinema, don't get the appeal, especially in a dark room. I like to just grab a few beers, recline the seat and enjoy the movie.

I hate the scumbags that get up and leave a whole tip of rubbish behind them. Is that hard to throw it into one of the bins on the way out? Pigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It's part of the cinema experience for a lot of people. Blame the cinema for selling it in the first place

It's the people on their phones in the cinema bother me most

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Omackeral wrote:
    I hate the scumbags that get up and leave a whole tip of rubbish behind them. Is that hard to throw it into one of the bins on the way out? Pigs.

In the states people take their rubbish with them. There are bins on the way out. Maybe if the cinema provides these bins people might start to bring the rubbish with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭williestroker1

Really enjoy a curry in the cinema. Usually end up having the place to myself.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    In the states people take their rubbish with them. There are bins on the way out. Maybe if the cinema provides these bins people might start to bring the rubbish with them

I don't think I've ever been in a cinema in Ireland that doesn't have bins in the screens? :confused:

It's just a manners thing. No matter where you go, or how many bins are provided, be it the cinema, restaurant, fast food joint, cafe, bar..... there will always be people who will leave a scene behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

This always baffles me, the cinema is not that expensive as an experience overall.

Assuming both people pay full price for a ticket, and get a large popcorn/drink each, the total cost here is about €36 for two people.

That's €36 for two hours of (hopefully) solid entertainment, decent snacks, and an all around good evening out for two people.

I can't see how that's bad value for most couples who go to the cinema once every two weeks or so.

Sure I know, Id agree its not really that expensive, I just find the lack of decent movies being offered is the real problem for me
    Sick of remakes and superheroes ****e

Do you you know what they call a 1/4 pounder in Germany?

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Literally every cinema I've been to in Ireland has multiple bins on the way out.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Omackeral wrote: »
    Literally every cinema I've been to in Ireland has multiple bins on the way out.

It used to be a case that there would always be a bin at the door from the cinema to the lobby. But anytime I've been lately, this is gone.
    There are other bins around the lobby though that can be used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm sick of people complaining about other people's behavior in the cinema. It will be noisy, people will smell, be tall, go to the toilet, be late, eat smelly and noisy foods. It's part of the cinema experience and if you don't like it the cinema isn't for you or you need to set up a cinema that meets your needs!

I'm sick of people complaining about other people's behavior in the cinema. It will be noisy, people will smell, be tall, go to the toilet, be late, eat smelly and noisy foods. It's part of the cinema experience and if you don't like it the cinema isn't for you or you need to set up a cinema that meets your needs!

Username checks out.

Was at a midnight showing once
    Half empty cinema but some guy sat down beside me, fair enough
    He offered me a Malteser during the movie
    I politely declined
    He then kept talking how great certain parts of the movie were
    I politely sat there in fear, sweating, what kind of a psychopath does this

When the lights came on at the end his mates were a few rows back were pissing themselves.

The poor lad had sat with the wrong people (me) while it was dark. He thought I was his mate

• Advertisement
Advertisement