Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eating in the cinema

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I remember going to the cinema when I was about 16 with two friends from school (about 20 years ago now) and for the whole film a guy a few rows behind us spent the entire time rustling tayto bags and opening individually wrapped sweets.
    We turned around at the end of the film and got a cheery 'Ah hello girls!'.
    It was our Irish teacher!
    on his own probably. Only weirdos that don't like the smell of nachos and popcorn, and don't like the sound of others eating and drinking go on their own so they can complain about it on boards afterwards:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

A friend of mine was on a first trip to London oh nearly 50 years ago with a gal pal . 2 country bumpkins gone wild!
    After a few afternoon drinkies they decided to go to a “blue movie” in a dive in soho.
    Snickered and sniggered they’re way into 2 seats down the front of the cinema which was about 1/4 full of old men in raincoats.
    Reached into her coat pocket for a Murrays Mint and just the rustling of one paper caused every greasy head in the place to turn en masses in her direction !
    Totally freaked out they hurried out even before Franz turned up to fix Heidi’s plumbing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

In Australia you can go Gold Class and order a 3 course meal with full bar and waiter service during the film...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

iamtony wrote: »
    on his own probably. Only weirdos that don't like the smell of nachos and popcorn, and don't like the sound of others eating and drinking go on their own so they can complain about it on boards afterwards:)

Are we allowed nominate a 'daftest post of the week'? :rolleyes:

Are we allowed nominate a 'daftest post of the week'? :rolleyes:

I don't think your post is that daft- bit sarcastic maybe but don't think it's daft winning material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

That me, apart from the weirdo part.

I think popcorn in the cinema is an amazing social habit. I don't know anyone who eats popcorn normally, but in a cinema it becomes necessity

joe40 wrote: »
    That me, apart from the weirdo part.

I think popcorn in the cinema is an amazing social habit. I don't know anyone who eats popcorn normally, but in a cinema it becomes necessity
    My post was obviously tongue in cheek folks.
    The reason people get popcorn in the cinema is simple, it's the only place you can get properly made fresh popcorn.
    P. S I'd never go to the cinema on my own, maybe I'm weird, maybe your weird I dunno(also an intentionally daft post).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Agricola wrote: »
    One of the reasons I've mainly gone to off peak showings. Went to see the Churchill film on a Tuesday evening recently and it was bliss. The only people who go to midweek evening showings are people who actually want to see the film, and most of them had bought no food. I certainly have no recollection of scoffing and slurping going on.

This whole cinema experience business gets on my tits. That phrase should only apply to the act of seeing a film on a huge screen in the dark. This popcorn and coke gorging is just another American thing that's traveled well.

Ah stop. Popcorn and the cinema has long been a thing in Ireland. You'd have to go back decades to blame it on America.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

I hate the smell of nachos and popcorn but that would not stop me going to the cinema. The thing that does put me off is the tacky floors from the spilled sugary drinks that haven't been cleaned up properly. :(
    I haven't been to a cinema in about 2 years now so maybe this is no longer an issue in the new cinemas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The worst ones are the fat ****s with gallon buckets of everything, wedged into a seat and smacking their lips like jabba the hut. Gross.

Ya of course it's always those who are fat that are to blame for being antisocial and everything. You would just never get 'thin' parsimonious f******s being aholes ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The cinema sucks these days.
    I remember being a kid and thinking it was awesome. The big screen. The sound. What's not to love?

Now it's nothing special. The seats are uncomfortable. Going to the toilets is awkward unless you sit on or near the end of an Isle. The picture in some screens looks dull.

Much prefer just watching a movie at home these days. As long as you got a decent sized screen a blu ray will do you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

who doesn't like modern cinemas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Try going to a cinema in Germany, not only can you drink beer but smoke cigarettes as well.

ah there was the good old days..I don't even smoke anymore but I always missed the old ciggie at the pictures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I remember being a kid and thinking it was awesome. The big screen. The sound. What's not to love?

Now it's nothing special. The seats are uncomfortable. Going to the toilets is awkward unless you sit on or near the end of an Isle. The picture in some screens looks dull.

Much prefer just watching a movie at home these days. As long as you got a decent sized screen a blu ray will do you.

plus you can pause when you go to the goddamn loo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

gozunda wrote: »
    Ya of course it's always those who are fat that are to blame for being antisocial and everything. You would just never get 'thin' parsimonious f******s being aholes ever

They be the second worse ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

YFlyer wrote: »
    They be the second worse ones.

Ah it's a lot more complex than that ...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fattypuffs_and_Thinifers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Did they have a toilet next to every seat back in the good aul days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I don't get this, unless you have a medical reason and then you could sit close to the exit. It's not that hard to go beforehand, movies rarely go over 2 hours these days.

I hate the smell of nachos and popcorn but that would not stop me going to the cinema. The thing that does put me off is the tacky floors from the spilled sugary drinks that haven't been cleaned up properly. :(
    I haven't been to a cinema in about 2 years now so maybe this is no longer an issue in the new cinemas.

The worst smell is that of the gentleman I sat next to one night. Smelt of farmyard slurry, on an unwashed smokers body. I wasn’t the only person to leave because of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Havnt been to the cinema in 6 years, much prefer to watch movies on my home projector. The only stinky food is my stinky food :)

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Un1corn

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Try going to a cinema in Germany, not only can you drink beer but smoke cigarettes as well.

Last part is not true. Smoking ban. At least in Bavaria. But the beer. Yeah that you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I like going to the cinema as you can't beat the big screen or sound.

Those saying get a 'blu ray' (why not just use the internet, I don't every use discs) are not getting the same experience.

That said, things I hate in the cinema or other people as they

1) Constantly check their phones and think it's perfectly fine for their screen brightness to pollute the darkness of the cinema.

2) Packaging: People eating crisps and sweets with constant rustling of packaging drives me mad. I was in the cinema last year in The Netherlands (Pathe Eindhoven) and they emptied the contents of packages into a cardboard tray when you bought then which I thought was a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Update from regular cinema goer: Floors often still sticky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Almost never go to the cinema anymore. There's been very little I'd want to see that much that I'd put up with the cost, the idiots talking or playing with phones all through the movie, or yes the noise of others slurping and chomping their way through whatever they bought on the way in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Majority of my cinema experiences have been good but what I hate the most is idiots who kick the back of your seat. Their a**holes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Havnt been to the cinema in 6 years, much prefer to watch movies on my home projector. The only stinky food is my stinky food :)

You have missed some great movies so. Sure sometimes its nice to see a movie at home but you are also using your own electricity can have phone interruptions or someone at the door or visitors all interrupting your film viewing. Nothing like going for a night or a day out to the cinema and not having to worry about any of that.
    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Almost never go to the cinema anymore. There's been very little I'd want to see that much that I'd put up with the cost, the idiots talking or playing with phones all through the movie, or yes the noise of others slurping and chomping their way through whatever they bought on the way in.

Its that expensive. Some films you can go see for less than a fiver and sme offer them for around euro great value there. Never really had any of them problems thankfully.
    Patww79 wrote: »

Maybe for some it is for others its not. Never found it a horrible experience and I am not the most social person but have no problem being in a cinema. Now pubs and nightclubs they are a horrible experience.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

What I dont understand is people who spend a small fortune on treats and they have them eaten before the ads have even started, nevermind for the actual film, this applies especially if you got ice cream. Seems to defeat the purpose of getting treats in the first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Why would I give a sh1t about people eating when I’m on my phone for the whole film anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

siblers wrote: »
    What I dont understand is people who spend a small fortune on treats and they have them eaten before the ads have even started, nevermind for the actual film, this applies especially if you got ice cream. Seems to defeat the purpose of getting treats in the first place

This is definitely another thing that's always baffled me! I don't touch my stuff until the film has actually started, but there's always people horsing the popcorn into themselves with such ferocity that it's gone before the trailers are even over.

Also I don't get the 'get a blu ray player/projecter' argument. I have both, and a 55" 4K TV, but you can't remotely compare any combination of the 3 to watching a movie in the cinema.

Fair enough if you just hate the cinema experience in general, that's fine...but for those who enjoy the large screen cinematic experience the in-house option is a poor substitution. In the same sense that sitting around with a few beers playing board games is a poor substitution if you actually want to be out in a nightclub mingling and dancing.

In an ideal world I'd love to have a 120" projector screen setup with two reclining armchairs, but even then it wouldn't stop me going to the actual cinema either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Did they have a toilet next to every seat back in the good aul days?

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.
    jester77 wrote: »
    I don't get this, unless you have a medical reason and then you could sit close to the exit. It's not that hard to go beforehand, movies rarely go over 2 hours these days.

People take pisses. Shocking I know.
    But it's also a cinema where people gulp down massive drinks. see if you don't need to take a piss within 2 hours of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Had the weirdest cinema trip today. We'd arrived early and sat at the centre of the the back row. By the time the movie was starting the place was maybe 40% full when a dad and two kids came in and passed out the 3 empty rows in front of us, and all the empty seats to the side (as we were the only ones in the back row) and sat right next to me. Then a few minutes into the movie another family came in at the other side of what was still a largely empty cinema (the 3 rows in front of us were still empty) and sat right next to my husband even though there was no-one else in the row so lots of empty seats on his side.

I get that a lot of people like back and centre best but all the seats around us were empty and it seemed so strange for two separate families to sit right next to us. It's like a violation of the bus seat rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

In an ideal world I'd love to have a 120" projector screen setup with two reclining armchairs, but even then it wouldn't stop me going to the actual cinema either.
    Mine's 115" and have reclining armchairs :). The relatives owned a cinema back in the day so I got in free so probably watched 2-3 movies a week at some points so I kinda grew up being a very regular cinema goer. I absolutely love being able to watch a movie at home on a huge screen, its not expensive that either( screen + projector was less than a 50" TV ), more having a room that will allow a decent setup, had the ceiling reinforced when converting the garage to take a projector.
    Love watching Game of Thrones & GAA/soccer on it also but would never watch regular TV on it.

And nice to have a beer while watching a movie too :)

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

murpho999 wrote: »
    Those saying get a 'blu ray' (why not just use the internet, I don't every use discs) are not getting the same experience.

Maybe if you tried using discs, you would get the same (or superior) experience.

Bluray is far superior to "the internet" (be it streaming or downloads) etc. And if you have the right tv/sound etc, will be far superior experience to a cinema.

I'll download/stream tv shows to my tv (and the odd old-school movie that hasn't been released on bluray), but always buy the bluray for a movie with high quality picture/audio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I never get the 'experience' thing really, you're just watching a film. No screen or speaker setup is ever going to make a good film bad or a bad film good.

Screen can make a difference. 3d screens showing 2d films can appear darker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Me neither. I'd rather not 'experience' being stuck in a closed space with loads of strangers for 2 hours thanks, regardless of the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Wittertainment code of conduct is always applicable

7a3cbd5473eac16fce05229380c4f4f8--movie-theater-infographics.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

What sick f*cks take their shoes off in the cinema??

• Advertisement

dotsman wrote: »
    Maybe if you tried using discs, you would get the same (or superior) experience.

Bluray is far superior to "the internet" (be it streaming or downloads) etc. And if you have the right tv/sound etc, will be far superior experience to a cinema.

I'll download/stream tv shows to my tv (and the odd old-school movie that hasn't been released on bluray), but always buy the bluray for a movie with high quality picture/audio.

Totally disagree with this.
    I haven't bought or really used a cd or DVD since around 2001.

I have a 55" 4k TV with a decent home cinema sound system.

Do you know you can download Blu ray rips from the internet.

Netflix stream now in 4k.

There is no way discs are superior. Why would they be ?They are just carrying the same data you can get on the internet. There is no way discs are in anyway superior.

Either way, the cinema beats it hands down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

There is no way discs are superior. Why would they be ?They are just carrying the same data you can get on the internet. There is no way discs are in anyway superior.

Streaming and "bluray rips" are nothing like bluray discs. Do you understand the concept of compression and the impact it has on picture quality?

The bitrate alone on a 4k bluray disc is almost 10 times higher than netflix 4K.

Why would you buy a 55" 4K tv and then use Netflix 4k or $hitty bluray rips with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

No they're inferior. It's an actual fact. I'm sure thats how you convince yourself its a decent experience you get, but discs are significantly higher quality than that crap you download off the internet.

No they're inferior. Its can actual fact. I'm sure thats how you convince yourself its a decent experience you get, but discs are significantly higher quality than that crap you download off the internet.

Tís true alright, the copying and compressing takes away from the quality. I think a bluray movie file on the disc is about 8 GB but a bluray dodgy download is only about 3 GB. I'm not sure about the Netflix quality this seems top notch in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

lmimmfn wrote: »

Was in the cinema for Three Billboards because I got given a ticket but since I got mine I've been the same otherwise - hasn't even really crossed my mind to go to the cinema. There's nothing like having your own 10x6 (approx) screen shooting on the wall from the coffee table, I even got rid of the TV over Christmas because of it. I'm just trying to find a place/reason to get the full 21ft x 12.5ft screen it's meant to shoot at before losing focus! :D

dotsman wrote: »
    Streaming and "bluray rips" are nothing like bluray discs. Do you understand the concept of compression and the impact it has on picture quality?

The bitrate alone on a 4k bluray disc is almost 10 times higher than netflix 4K.

Why would you buy a 55" 4K tv and then use Netflix 4k or $hitty bluray rips with it?

There's nothing wrong with Netflix's quality at 4k.
    As for bluray discs, I only want a digital library and have no interest in having inconvenient discs lying around.
    No they're inferior. It's an actual fact. I'm sure thats how you convince yourself its a decent experience you get, but discs are significantly higher quality than that crap you download off the internet.

Tís true alright, the copying and compressing takes away from the quality. I think a bluray movie file on the disc is about 8 GB but a bluray dodgy download is only about 3 GB. I'm not sure about the Netflix quality this seems top notch in fairness.

It is possible to get quality downloads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

This is me at the cinema…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

What sick f*cks take their shoes off in the cinema??
    Maybe the sticky floors are to discourage that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Bracken81 wrote: »
    What i find amusing is how often people still frequent the cinema..........be cheaper to hire Brad Pitt to reenact the film in your living room! :-)

Cineworld is like €22 per month for unlimited movies. My girlfriend and I go to at least 3 movies per month which would usually cost almost €40.

Without an unlimited card, I would be watching them all on my android box bit for €22 per month to use their cinema anytime I want, I find it to be a bargain.

Advertisement