Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eating in the cinema

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

murpho999 wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with Netflix's quality at 4k.
    As for bluray discs, I only want a digital library and have no interest in having inconvenient discs lying around.

It is possible to get quality downloads.

Sure, but not as high quality as whats on the blu ray/4K disc. It's inferior, its a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

As I said, no problem with food like popcorn or chocolate bars that can be eaten quietly and doesn't smell.

Popcorn does smell. It's one of the reasons I rarely go to the cinema these days. I can't stand the smell of popcorn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

This post has been deleted.

With cinema rubbish...I saw in a cinema recently, not sure if it was Vue or Odeon, a notice saying leave your rubbish in your seat to make it easier for us to recycle or something. So some cinema is actively asking you to leave it there. I still never would.

Have to say I go to both does cinema,s and never noticed that. Must look out for it next time. I think it might be Odeon do and must be a recent thing as I have been to Vue not so long ago and that was not there.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sure, but not as high quality as whats on the blu ray/4K disc. It's inferior, its a fact.

For the purist maybe but it does not mean whats available on he internet is bad and the technology is improving all the time and I 'm not paying €25-29 for a film on a disc that I simply don't want to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

There's nothing wrong with Netflix's quality at 4k.

Please don't say this as it is terribly wrong. It's not a matter of opinion, it is a matter of fact. Bluray 4K is significantly superior as many have already posted and is well documented if one did even a little research.
    It is possible to get quality downloads.
    Not of the same quality.

Anyway, don't want to take this thread off-topic, so will say no more on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

dotsman wrote: »
    Please don't say this as it is terribly wrong. It's not a matter of opinion, it is a matter of fact. Bluray 4K is significantly superior as many have already posted and is well documented if one did even a little research.

Not of the same quality.

Anyway, don't want to take this thread off-topic, so will say no more on it.

Where did I say it was better quality etc.

I said there was nothing wrong with it.

4K Netflix is very good quality and I am happy with it. No doubt Bluray 4k is better but I have no interest in buying a player and nor do I want to buy films and I also don't want discs.

So I'll put up with this this "awful" internet quality and let the purists feel superior with their projectors and discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Where did I saw it was better quality etc.

I said there was nothing wrong with it.

4K Netflix is very good quality and I am happy with it. No doubt Bluray 4k is better but I have no interest in buying a player and nor do I want to buy films and I also don't want discs.

So I'll put up with this this "awful" internet quality and let the purists feel superior with their projectors and discs.

What are you talking about? It’s literally better quality, it’s not ‘feeling’ like it’s superior. You can convince yourself your ****ty download is just as good if you want, but it isn’t.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wittertainment code of conduct is always applicable
    Or the Oatmeal's

2.png

What are you talking about? It’s literally better quality, it’s not ‘feeling’ like it’s superior. You can convince yourself your ****ty download is just as good if you want, but it isn’t.

Not 'feeling superior' and then calling them ****ty downloads.

Do you not feel that's contradictory?
    As I said, I find the quality of Netflix 4k, I also said it may not be as good as what you experience on your HD Blu Ray but I have no interest in buying the player or buying discs.

Also, eventually internet will be better than discs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Nothing like heading to the cinema, opening a tin of sardines, and watching a good flick

Bliss.

Don't forget a couple of slices of gorgonzola on the side followed by a nice ripe durian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In fairness you're taking that a little personal! I have a decent 55" 4K TV and watching a good download (lets say a 5GB HEVC file) v a blu-ray is not earth shatteringly different.

It's comparing excellence with perfection....not an infallible disc and a '****ty download'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Just seen this on another website. Apparently it's the Daily Edge's categorisation of food that's okay or inconsiderate to eat at the cinema.

8. Popcorn

Popcorn is probably the least offensive cinema snack. Everyone kinda respects you because you obviously think nothing of splashing out €6 for some popped seeds, and as it comes in a big tub, you will make minimum noise eating it. It’s also ripe for sharing. Go you.
    7. Ice cream
    This is probably the snack with the most minimal noise, but it’s still not the most ideal. Let’s face it, it’s gonna melt everywhere and you’ll probably have it eaten before the ads are over. We also can’t take a bit unless we use your manky spoon.
    6. Pic N Mix
    Well done, a deadly choice. However, it loses points for being so damn noisy. It’s like they made those bags with the special intention of making them crumble and ruffle as much as possible. Also, €3.50 for a few penny sweets? Get in the bin.
    5. A packet of sweets
    RUDE. These bags are even worse, especially when you pass it to the person next to you and they sink their hand into it like they’re trying to drown out the surround sound. Pour them directly into your mouth and be done with it.
    4. Hot dogs
    As we move into a savoury top four, hot dogs come out as the least offensive. But they’re still not ideal. All that sloppy eating, running sauces, and various salty smells… no.
    3. Crisps
    We all know why crisps aren’t a good idea in the cinema. The packets are way too loud and they are twice as noisy to actually chew. The smell can also permeate the theatre..
    2. Outside hot food
    If you’re going to get a burrito or a McDonalds eat it outside. Bringing it into our safe place is just RUDE and not the time nor the place.
    1. Nachos
    The ultimate rude cinema food. It’s got it all. It crunches, it smells bad, it’s not enclosed in packaging so the smell can’t even be disguised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

..............crunching and munching and slurping?

Ah, memories of the back row in the Ormonde Cinema in Stillorgan ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Why can some people not sit through a two hour film without bringing in a truck load of food - half of it stinking to high heaven, and all of it involving crunching and munching and slurping?
    No problem with someone quietly eating a bit of popcorn or some chocolate but the guy beside me last night was like a pig with his snout in a trough.

I imagine it likely reminds many people, of when they gorge on junk food in the dark with the lights off at home... except they're probably crying when they do it in their home, obviously! :pac:

A great many people like doing things in the dark... there's some deep psychology to it I'd say. (just look how many people are clearly getting dressed in the dark, as another worthwhile example! :P)

A dark movie theater, is the perfect place to engage in something you are ashamed of... and you are surrounded by like minded folk... so you feel safe! A safe space, if you will...

Or am I perhaps reading too deeply into this!? :D

Advertisement