Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's a lot more 'slippy' than it used to be ?

Options
  • 26-01-2018 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else notice this ? That the path, slab, roadside paths etc all seem a lot more 'slippy' and 'grimy' than they used to be ?. It's not long since the front (largely slabs) was given a good clean and they're nearly as bad again. I seem to 'slide' somewhere almost every day. Tarmac is generally ok but the border areas both at home and on public paths is somewhat grimy, and slippy. It must be the increased rainfall that is bringing 'dirt' with it ?. Has anyone else found themselves 'sliding' more than they used to ? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Have you ever changed your shoes? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Does anyone else notice this ? That the path, slab, roadside paths etc all seem a lot more 'slippy' and 'grimy' than they used to be ?. It's not long since the front (largely slabs) was given a good clean and they're nearly as bad again. I seem to 'slide' somewhere almost every day. Tarmac is generally ok but the border areas both at home and on public paths is somewhat grimy, and slippy. It must be the increased rainfall that is bringing 'dirt' with it ?. Has anyone else found themselves 'sliding' more than they used to ? :)
    Can definitely agree with you. Tarmac is always ok, but the footpaths in residential or shopping areas are "slimy" when wet. I find myself paying attention, especially the first few steps entering supermarkets, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭.red.

During the winter our patio goes green and slippy very quick. As soon as we notice it starting, the place is covered in about 7/10 days.
    We usually bleach it. A litre of bleach mixed into water in a 5 litre watering can and spread out usually sorts it. If it rains an hour later to wash it off then better again. If it's very bad in patches we give them bits a scrub with a yard brush and a drop of neat bleach then do the whole thing after by just pouring.
    Cheap and cheerful. Depending on weather we might need to do it every 4/6/8 weeks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

.red. wrote: »
    A litre of bleach mixed into water in a 5 litre watering can and spread out usually sorts it.
    you might be using more bleach than you need! i've had success with milton at a rate of about 20 to 1. takes a few days for the full effect to appear though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

For goodness sake don't use bleach where it can run off onto garden areas. Lethal to plants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Patio Magic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭.red.

For goodness sake don't use bleach where it can run off onto garden areas. Lethal to plants.

I should have said, I've no garden, its patio slabs and concrete running into a drain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I don't know if this is true or not, but my mum claims that this is because the rain is not as acidic anymore these days as it used to be years ago, so now there's more moss growing on the ground, more lichen on trees, etc. We use a pressure washer on the drive and patio every 2 years or so, seems to keep it under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We cover allot of grounds maintenance at work and definitely it has gotten worse over recent years.

Consistently damp weather spurred on the growth of mosses and algae which are inherently slippery underfoot.

There was a time we could wash paths and they would be good for three years, I see paths now that we washed last spring and they are bad as ever.

Essentially ground has rarely been dry since last August, this is perfect conditions for these algae go grow.

Advertisement