Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christening Gift Ideas

• 26-01-2018 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi.  My godson will be getting christened soon and Ive no idea what to get him.  Any ideas?  Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Jewellers. They have all sorts of christening stuff. I got my goddaughter a little christening bracelet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Bit cheesy, but one of those hand/footprint kits.

You can make an occasion and have a bit of a laugh actually trying to get the print as well (i speak from experience :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Bit cheesy, but one of those hand/footprint kits.

You can have a bit of a laugh actually trying to get the print as well (i speak from experience :D)

I like that idea!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

BusyB stationery do a lovely baby book.
    We also got a small stool with his name engraved on it.
    Jewellery is nice but I always feel it's a keepsake really that gathers dust.I wanted something they might use a bit or could hang up.Like the impression kit, I'd love that.
    Have also got coloured wooden letters that spell out their name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

We got one of those frames with the name spelled out in coloured wooden blocks off our son's godfather. Such a lovely gift, I cried when I saw it, it's so lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

A piggy bank. I got one from my Godfather and I've kept the tradition going. It got great use over the years when I was a kid too, it would be cracked open a few times a year and I'd go mad on a "shopping spree".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭caycro

I received a couple of prize bonds from my godparents a LONG time ago ... there's always the chance it could pay out but it's a great way to start a savings routine. You could also top it up in the coming years for birthdays/christmas' gifts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Hi.  My godson will be getting christened soon and Ive no idea what to get him.  Any ideas?  Thanks

What's he into?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,614 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Small bracelet and some prize bonds. I also got my god daughter a presentation set of Irish coins year of her birth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭daheff

are the family anyway sporty?

got a godson a framed county jersey before (smallest size available) -went down well

Also got another a framed newspaper from the date of birth (think it was the times)

or a voucher for a photographer session & pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Saucey-Susie

Thanks so much for all the amazing suggestions! Really really helpful.  Phew!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I gave 1916 commemorative coins (silver proof - legal tender - not the replicas) - €15 euro coins (cost more) to two 21 yr old godchildren and to a baby nephew. Look at Central Bank website for 2018 coins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Those hand and foot thingys are lovely- the proper ones you get someone in to do - they’re pricey though! Anything nice to hang on the wall with name/dob etc are nice too. Mine all got a silver money box ( newbridge do nice ones)- they’re a bit dust gathery, but they do actually use them as they get older, so that’s ok!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Those hand and foot thingys are lovely- the proper ones you get someone in to do - they’re pricey though! Anything nice to hang on the wall with name/dob etc are nice too. Mine all got a silver money box ( newbridge do nice ones)- they’re a bit dust gathery, but they do actually use them as they get older, so that’s ok!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

Voucher for photography session for new baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Also, if you happen to know what sports teams he’ll follow, I.e. what his Dad, uncles of godfather force on him consider buying this seasons jersey for when he’s 18. That’s what I’ll do at the end of season sales, I plan on picking up a Liverpool,Munster and Ireland jersey. I’m going to guess he’ll be Large. I’ll gift them then on his 18th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Avoid prize bonds like the plague. People got my children those and we cannot cash them in because my children cannot sign their name on them until a certain age. Also, if a name is misspelled or an address is misspelled, cannot claim a prize or cash them in, Or change the details because again, child cannot sign. You might as well be flushing your money down the toilet.

I get personalised things for christenings usually. there is a carpenter around here who makes lovely carved things, like little stools which work as seats for the child when they are young, or footstools when they are in their 80’s by the fire. :)

Quilt or blankets.

Personalised boxes are great, as a lot of other people give Jewellery or other christening keepsakes like candles. Nice to give them a box to put them in.

There are lots of ideas here too.
    https://www.notonthehighstreet.com/christening-department/gifts-for-christenings

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

pwurple wrote: »
    Avoid prize bonds like the plague. People got my children those and we cannot cash them in because my children cannot sign their name on them until a certain age. Also, if a name is misspelled or an address is misspelled, cannot claim a prize or cash them in, Or change the details because again, child cannot sign. You might as well be flushing your money down the toilet.

I get personalised things for christenings usually. there is a carpenter around here who makes lovely carved things, like little stools which work as seats for the child when they are young, or footstools when they are in their 80’s by the fire. :)

Quilt or blankets.

Personalised boxes are great, as a lot of other people give Jewellery or other christening keepsakes like candles. Nice to give them a box to put them in.

There are lots of ideas here too.
    https://www.notonthehighstreet.com/christening-department/gifts-for-christenings

You can sign on behalf of your child if a minor. We received a substantial amount of these. Cashed them in and lodged elsewhere as not a fan of prize bonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 judyjude99

Sorry to post on an old thread but it might help someone later.

We've just bought a personalised bear for a friend's sons Christening and they loved it:

Advertisement