Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super XV Rugby 2018

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

just looking at the super rugby play off situation.

finishing 5th is an absolute poison chalice. 1st, 2nd and 3rd sports go to conference winners, meaning 4th sport goes to next highest points tally, which is guaranteed to be a kiwi team, and at this stage can be any of them
    5th sport plays away to 4th spot.
    6th sport will play away to (probably) the Australian conference winner
    7th to the SA conference winner

both of those would be much more attractive games than away to the 2nd best kiwi team.

this might be off set by the race to the first 2 kiwi conference spots if it goes to the last round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Chiefs could be in bother here.

When did Jaguares start coming good?

Highlanders have announced the signing of two players for 2019 and 2020. Blues first-five Bryn Gatland will join the southern club from next season for two years. Gatland currently with the Blues will add some depth to the Highlanders first-five stocks as the long serving Lima Sopoaga departs for the U.K. Gatland who plays his provincial rugby for North Harbour also played for the NZ Barbarians against the British and Irish Lions last year. An enterprising young player he is fashioning a reputation as a quality goal kicker.

He will be joined at the club by robust young loosie, Marino Mikaele Tu’u, who has already played once for the Highlanders this season as an injury replacement. A product of the Hawkes Bay, he was a member of the 2018 World Cup winning U20 side, a sizable loose forward who can play in all three loose forward positions.

Tevita Nabura has also signed as a fully contracted player for 2019; a hard-running Fijian winger who made a big impression at this year’s Brisbane global 10s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Bazzo wrote: »
    Chiefs could be in bother here.

When did Jaguares start coming good?

Last season!

A great win, although in fairness, I thought the ref was pretty hard on the Chiefs. I also suspect that the Chiefs didn't take the Jags seriously in their pre-match prep.

The jaguares have been seriously under performing in super rugby, for what is basically the Argentinian test team.
    In my opinion, the reason for this under performance up to now has been two fold.

first reason being they tinkered with selection more that any other team in their first two seasons, probably driven by Hourcades influence over the team, even if its an unwritten influence. Their top try scorer in their first two seasons was their hooker, with 6 and 5 tries respectively.... really speaks to how they played doesn't it.

the second reason for the turn around this season is very simple. Its the effect of having mario ledesma as head coach. They are a lot less loose up front, a lot more structured in their game play. hes brought in Miranda, an ex argie captain and scrum half,to tidy up the backs, and Gaitan is also there as the link with the national team.

That being said, they are still liable to the odd capitulation, especially in NZ... their current -47 points difference is only better than 3 other teams, the reds, blues and sunwolves. Brumbies in 14th place actually have a better PD than them.

It will be interesting to see if this is simply an aberration of a run they are on, or if its actually the level they are at.... its that latter IMO.

• Advertisement

SBW just throws a sick offload for a blues try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Are the stadiums massive or is Super Rugby undersupported even in New Zealand? Always surprised to see plenty of empty seats during a NZ derby.

Great offload from SBW alright :D

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Are the stadiums massive or is Super Rugby undersupported even in New Zealand? Always surprised to see plenty of empty seats during a NZ derby.

Eden Park is NZ's biggest stadium, about 50k I think. Its in a bad location and is annoying to get to. Add to this that the Blues are ****. Again. For another season :mad: so people don't go. Not sure how many people are there but 15,000 at Eden Park would look empty.

Most of the NZ, Aus and SA Super Rugby teams need to move to smaller stadiums. It looks awful on TV seeing a several thousand fans sitting in stadium that can hold 30, 40 60k plus. It would be like if Leinster played every match at the Aviva. The atmosphere would be ****e.

Nice try by NMS. Hopefully he hasn't crocked himself again! Looked like he took a bit of a knock and subbed off now...

🤪

What craziness is happening in super rugby this weekend??

Sun wolves 63 - 28 reds!!!
    Hayden Parker scoring 35 points.

And at half time the waratahs are beating the crusaders 29-19 in new Zealand !!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 June18zellie

Sabre0001 wrote: »

Can’t speak for a NZ point if view but in SA rugby is enjoyed at home socializing over a braai and a drink with the match on,school rugby is supported in the stands.a lot of people don’t realize or understand this.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    What craziness is happening in super rugby this weekend??

Sun wolves 63 - 28 reds!!!
    Hayden Parker scoring 35 points.

And at half time the waratahs are beating the crusaders 29-19 in new Zealand !!!

Crusaders won 31-29. Did you see the match? Swiwi, were the Crusaders just giving them a head start to keep it interesting?

Apparently it's the 16th anniversary of this match. I remember watching the game live and thinking WTF!!
    https://youtu.be/vQpIwJ_L7oc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Crusaders won 31-29. Did you see the match? Swiwi, were the Crusaders just giving them a head start to keep it interesting?

Apparently it's the 16th anniversary of this match. I remember watching the game live and thinking WTF!!

Posted it over in the general rugby thread too but I'm sure this won't be controversial at all!

https://twitter.com/nickmcardlefox/status/995188141634940929

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I was trying to figure out what would prompt a player to do that but he's probably just moody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Yeah_Right wrote: »

Sorry bout the late reply. Didn’t see the match sorry. Have watched little rugby recently. The exception was the European final which I watched at Brussels airport using iPhone and sky sports mobile app.

Just in case it passed by unknown to some here, but the Sunwolves put 63 points up on the might Brad Thron led Queensland reds last weekend, to win 63 - 28

Reds having 60% possession and a might 62% territory

Hayden Parker with 36 point tally and Saumaki with 15

:D

Lam's try scoring record is just silly...especially because he carries the ball in one hand so frequently! Unlucky not to get in there for another.

Hurricanes 14-13 Reds with 24 gone.

🤪

38-34 to Hurricanes with only a couple of minutes to go!

🤪

reds go from conceding 63 to sunwolves to pushing the hurricanes so close in the westpac

crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Herpes Free Since03

Ah heor!
    Wait until you see the red card that Highlanders Tevita Nabura picked up ... going to be a long ban for that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Outrageous red card.

About time the Tahs ended this kiwi hoodoo over the aussies. Probably should've beaten the Blues and were robbed against the Crusaders

Fcuking games gone soft. !!!!!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Watched that Hurricanes v Reds game last night, I take it scrum laws are just disregarded completely in Super Rugby and it’s just an optional free for all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

What was that about, any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

What was that about, any idea?

From what i gather the two panelists kept referring to black players as quota players

great to see Bucky back on the bench this weekend for the Highlanders.

and 3 barrett brothers taking to the field tomorrow morning in the saders canes game !!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 June18zellie

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    From what i gather the two panelists kept referring to black players as quota players

No it’s just ashwin throwing he’s toys out the cot,he had been know not to do he’s homework,he arrives late,cancels without notice and is just pretty much a lazy prick,Botha and mallet do all the work and ashwin takes the credit,the issue was they said he can speak 1st but as normal he had no one to piggy back on so he had nothin to say so thru he’s toys out the cot,then played the race card.superspot should sack him.

Sooooo...he's not a big bok is what you're saying

cracker of a game between crusaders and hurricanes

17 - 6 after 56 mins to crusaders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭Enzokk

The Lions team is being dismantled player by player at the moment. From the team that made the final last year the lost their coach, flank and reserve scrumhalf before the season started.

This season they lost both Springbok wings to injuries. Ruan Combrinck only just came back and is still regaining sharpness after a long layoff and Courtnall Skosan is probably out for the year. The captain has been injured since week 7, this after Jaco Kriel who captained the team in Whiteley's absence last year is out for the season. Ruan Ackerman plays for Gloucester and Cyle Brink hasn been injured the last two weeks as well. So the only player who played in the final last year of the loose trio is Kwagga Smith. The team also lost Malcolm Marx, arguably the best hooker at the moment, to injury as well.

Now the news is that current captain in the absence of Whiteley, Franco Mostert, will join Jaco Kriel and Ruan Dreyer at Gloucester. We have also seen the stories that Elton Jantjies is looking to play in Europe as well. As a Lions supporter the last three years has been fun to watch, but a return to mediocrity will follow as the players that has taken the team to such high heights will be lured to greener pastures. What a shame for the team and supporters.

In related news, I am still perplexed how there is only 5 Lions players in a 43 man SA squad. Granted injuries have meant that Kriel, Whiteley and Marx misses out but if they were all fit I doubt Kwagga Smith would have been in. So a maximum of 7 players could have made the squad. I am acutely aware I may not know as much as I think about rugby and only 5 players is good enough, but what does it say of the other SA teams that a team with only 5 players good enough for the national team is blowing them out of the water again this year.

Ridiculous decision to card squire.

A guy dives down to your knees, and there's no force forward from squires arm.. Then the incident is followed by savea clearly throwing a punch.

No sense at all to that decision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

More blues for the Blues. Looks like another dud of a season.

• Advertisement

they have been so disappointing this season, regardles of injuries.

umaga cannot remain blameless in all this. the team seem very poorly coached, especially the forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

There's a massive picture of Rory Best's face patterned onto the grass in the Reds/Waratahs game.

Anyway Waratahs won 51-42.

They look very slick going forward but the Reds got around their defence quite easily near the end.

Pulse Energy Highlanders v French Barbarians, Friday 22 June 7.35pm , Rugby Park Stadium, Invercargill

Aki Seiuli
    Ash Dixon (cc)
    Siate Tokolahi
    Alex Ainley
    Paripari Parkinson
    Josh Dickson
    James Lentjes
    Elliot Dixon
    Josh Renton
    Lima Sopoaga (cc)
    Tevita Li
    Richard Buckman
    Rob Thompson
    Matt Faddes
    Josh McKay

RESERVES

Greg Pleasants-Tate
    Guy Millar
    Tyrel Lomax
    Dan Pryor
    Marino Mikaele-Tu'u
    Kayne Hammington
    Josh Ioane
    Thomas Umaga-Jensen

Good to see bucky get a start and to see Dan Pryor back to fitness after a long lay off

• Advertisement

Pulse Energy Highlanders v Chiefs – Saturday 30th June 7.35pm, ANZ Stadium, Suva, Fiji

Daniel Lienert-Brown
    Ash Dixon (cc)
    Siate Tokolahi
    Jackson Hemopo
    Tom Franklin
    Elliot Dixon
    Dillon Hunt
    Luke Whitelock
    Aaron Smith
    Lima Sopoaga
    Tevita Li
    Teihorangi Walden
    Rob Thompson
    Waisake Naholo
    Ben Smith (cc)

RESERVES

Liam Coltman
    Aki Seiuli
    Tyrel Lomax
    Alex Ainley
    Shannon Frizell
    Kayne Hammington
    Josh Ioane
    Richard Buckman

Unavailble due to injury: Liam Squire (shoulder)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Going really well so far, syd....

Chiefs and Highlanders are at a whole different level to the Blues and Reds yesterday. That game summed up the difference between NZ and Aussie rugby. The Blues have a tonne of talent but couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery and the Reds, despite having a load of Wallabies, couldn't beat them.

The main talking point about yesterday's match were the Blues being able to send Kaino off with a win in his last match at Eden Park. The greatest blindside flanker I've ever seen and he deserved to leave with a win. Hopefully Akira Ioane becomes the next Kaino. Actually reminds me a lot of a young Kaino and I hope he develops his game the same way. While Reiko Ioane might be the best winger in the world, he isn't a centre.

I thought the ref was interesting especially after some of the conversations on this forum about refs during the June internationals. Some of his rulings at the break down were dubious but he seemed consistent for both teams. He wasn't afraid to send both teams down to 13 players and he actually carded a player for persistent infringements despite the other side scoring a try. Even though it was against the Blues, I was pleased to see it.

Buer wrote: »
    Going really well so far, syd....

Aaron Mauger..... "I've got a cunning plan"....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

There seems to be a very small crowd at the Hurricanes Blues match. Are crowds getting smaller in NZ too?

Edit: it seems not. Stadium is too big.
    Interesting article here on crowds in Super rugby compared to Europe and stadium capacities.
    https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/104613809/new-zealand-super-rugby-crowds-good-but-south-africa-australia-on-life-support

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

Yamada just made Folau look a little foolish there

I love watching Damian McKenzie play. His vision, footwork and speed are all top notch. Took the pIss out if the Blues today.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Clegg wrote: »
    I love watching Damian McKenzie play. His vision, footwork and speed are all top notch. Took the pIss out if the Blues today.

Did the Blues not play the Hurricanes or did I dream about Laumape's four tries?

Did the Blues not play the Hurricanes or did I dream about Laumape's four tries?

True

DMK wasnt even playing this weekend.
    Methinks Cleggy was having a wet dream.

Let's enjoy this bit of ridiculousness from Barrett then (@3:27)!

🤪

• Advertisement
Advertisement