Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What ya think of his build?

Options
  • 26-01-2018 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my system to the latest and greatest. I'm part of the way there and already have:
    • GTX 1070 Extreme (8gb) graphics card
    • Samsung 500GB SSD Drive
    • 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
    • Asus PG348Q Monitor

I'll eventually upgrade the graphics card but for now it's ok. I need to upgrade the CPU, MB and RAM first.

What are your thoughts on this build?

It will be used for coding and gaming.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Depends if you want to use the 100hz feature on monitor or not. Depends what games you want to run. GTX1080 can't hit 100 on most modern games at 3440x1440.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

srsly78 wrote: »
    Depends if you want to use the 100hz feature on monitor or not. Depends what games you want to run. GTX1080 can't hit 100 on most modern games at 3440x1440.

Prepar3d only so would be doing well to hit and maintain 30

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

John_Mc wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my system to the latest and greatest. I'm part of the way there and already have:
    • GTX 1070 Extreme (8gb) graphics card
    • Samsung 500GB SSD Drive
    • 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
    • Asus PG348Q Monitor

I'll eventually upgrade the graphics card but for now it's ok. I need to upgrade the CPU, MB and RAM first.

What are your thoughts on this build?

It will be used for coding and gaming.

Thanks
    Put another few quid in & get a 2Tb or 3Tb hard drive. 1Tb drives are terrible value/Gb, and underperform compared to their bigger brothers.

Kraken X62 is the best noise-to-performance AIO. If you only care about thermals (damn the noise!), consider Corsair H115i / EVGA CLC 280
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3144-the-best-liquid-coolers-for-cpus-2017-holiday-sales-guide

Since thermals could become an issue, consider changing the case for Fractal Meshify C / Silverstone RL05/RL06 / Corsair 270R
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3120-best-gaming-pc-cases-of-2017
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2922-best-pc-cases-under-100-dollars-2017-edition

You're possibly overpaying on the motherboard but I can't remember how to grade Z370 off-hand.

Check UK prices on everything

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Alpha8

Please don't use CustomPcParts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

OSI wrote: »
    Would you have the extra cash to get a 960 Evo NVMe instead? You're taking 3.2GB/s instead of 500MB/s. It makes a big difference.

Thanks but I already have the SSD and won't be upgrading as part of this. Good to know though.
    Alpha8 wrote: »
    Please don't use CustomPcParts.ie

Yeah looking at the UK as it's a lot cheaper on everything!

• Advertisement
Advertisement