Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMS activation via eir does not work

Options
  • 26-01-2018 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

I tried to add a payee in online banking, and the SMS activation does not arrive. Instead I got a BOI SMS to say to call support.
    I did that, and was told to call eir, because they are blocking these SMS from BOI.
    I did that and was told that they could/would not allow the SMS, and it was due to a "business disagreement". 
    I had no problem getting the SMS with my previous provider, Three.
    I don't know who is to blame, but if you can't fix this, maybe you should just notify all your customers to avoid switching to eir.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi lostinNaas,

We're sorry to hear you're having difficulty receiving our codes. We are unsure why the network provider has given this reason as there is no requirement for us to have a business agreement with them for their customers to receive security codes issued by us. We've many customers on this particular network who are receiving their security codes. We'd suggest contacting them again and ask for this to be escalated.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Maclaois

I had the same problem this morning.
    Eir told me due to data protection issues they could not allow messages from BOI?
    I have been an Meteor customer for years and only changed phone last week and now they say I cant get these text messages.
    Don't see how it is Eirs' decision to make, I receive activation codes for other apps etc no problem.

BOI need to offer an alternative as waiting for post is an issue.

Thanks,
    Colm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

Hi Maclaois,

Again we are unsure why they are advising you of this.

We are afraid this is beyond our control if your network provider fails to deliver the text message that would have been sent by ourselves. 

As mentioned above the majority of our customers would receive these codes on the same networks. 

Please escalate this with your network provider team.

Thanks,

Kareana

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭lostinNaas

I don't think it is good enough to just tell us to contact Eir. 
    It is a BOI decision to use SMS activation codes, and if a number of your customers can't use this service, then you need to step up and contact Eir and sort it out.
    It took a over a week, 6 working days, for me to receive the activation code by post.

Hi lostinNass,

As mentioned above we would give our customers the option to select the activation code by post if you are unable to receive these codes by text message.

Also as this wouldn't be a overall issue as mentioned above the majority of our customer would receive this text whom are on various networks therefore you would need to contact your network provider given as its a individual issue.

We are sorry we couldn't help you any further with this issue.

Thanks,

Kareana  

• Advertisement

Kareana

As well as adding payees, you are now starting to use SMS activation codes for VbyV right?
    So what are you going to do when eir customers start contacting you because they can't get those codes as they book their holiday or whatever.
    This head in the sand approach is just storing up future problems for BOI.

Hi lostinNaas,

Thanks for your post here on Boards. 

We can confirm customer on this Network are receiving their codes as mentioned above this would be a individual issue.

Please be assured when 1 time codes were launched we ensured each network would be able to receive them with abundance of testing prior launching. 

If you are also having trouble receiving the one time codes please contact our verified by visa team on 0818 200 370 and they will be happy to help you.

Thanks,

Kareana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Are the SMS messages coming from a number or from a name like "Bank of Ireland"

I think it could be down to Eir blocking anonymous / unverified texts due to major issues with spam.

Skedaddle wrote: »
    Are the SMS messages coming from a number or from a name like "Bank of Ireland"

I think it could be down to Eir blocking anonymous / unverified texts due to major issues with spam.
    The activation code messages are blocked by eir. 
    The BOI gateway then recognizes that the sms was blocked, and then sends a second message, with SenderID "Bank or Ireland" to say to call BOI support.
    I don't know why they say this, when support just say they can't help.

Eir support say the problem is a "business disagreement". Most likely eir are to blame, but there is no chance of anything being fixed if it is left to individuals to complain to Eir.
    Since this is affecting multiple BOI customers, and preventing BOI services from working, then BOI needs to address it with eir.

Hi Skedaddle,

Thanks for your post here on Boards.

Are you having any issues receiving the code? 

The activation code would come into your phone as a text message under the name BOI.

As mentioned above we do have customers on this Network that receive the activation codes by text messages.

Thanks,

Kareana

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

So basically BOI's setup is triggering a spam filter. They would want to sort out why their messages are appearing as spam to the Eir network rather than using terms like "a business disagreement".

Eir have to be able to deal with on going issues with spam and fraudulent messages and this is a major issue for all mobile networks.

BOI's technology and SMS provider need to figure out why they're being misidentified as spam and talk to Eir asap about how to get these messages verified and processed smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 phoenixashes

I am having the same problem. 

I switched to the Eir network (from Three) over the weekend and I just went to add an online payee to my BOI account via 365 online and instead of receiving an SMS with the verification number, the SMS I get is "Bank Of Ireland: We've experienced a problem with your mobile number. For B365 Customers please call ..." etc.

I rang the BOI and they said Eir where blocking the the text.  So I spoke to Eir and they said that Eir do not support texts from any bank as they go through a 3rd party and customers where getting charged for the text, so they dropped support for it altogether. 

My contract is a business tariff on Eir, I said how are business customers meant to use online banking and he said that the bank would have to offer an alternative to SMS verification.

So how do I now add payee's to my account and transfer money without been able to receive SMS texts from BOI?

Kind regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

I am having the same problem. 

I switched to the Eir network (from Three) over the weekend and I just went to add an online payee to my BOI account via 365 online and instead of receiving an SMS with the verification number, the SMS I get is "Bank Of Ireland: We've experienced a problem with your mobile number. For B365 Customers please call ..." etc.

I rang the BOI and they said Eir where blocking the the text.  So I spoke to Eir and they said that Eir do not support texts from any bank as they go through a 3rd party and customers where getting charged for the text, so they dropped support for it altogether. 

My contract is a business tariff on Eir, I said how are business customers meant to use online banking and he said that the bank would have to offer an alternative to SMS verification.

So how do I now add payee's to my account and transfer money without been able to receive SMS texts from BOI?

Kind regards

Hi phoenixashes,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

I'd ask you to raise this through the "Ask a question" section within the "Service Desk" tab of your 365 online profile and the advisers there will be happy to have a look into this and see what options are available to you. Once you send this message through your 365 online profile you'll receive a reference number and if you would like to send this reference number to us in a Private Message we'll make sure the message is answered as a matter of urgency.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 phoenixashes

Thank you Darren, I shall do that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mdynamic

I too am having the same issue. Bank of Ireland blames Eir and Eir blames Bank of Ireland for using a third party service to send texts.

Perhaps Bank of Ireland should stop playing pass the buck and either fix the situation or let their online customers know that BOI cannot send verification texts if the customer uses Eir. I have wasted hours on this issue and I'm sure many others have too.

'We do have customers on this Network that receive the activation codes' isn't any help whatsoever and absolutely no consolation to those that can't receive the texts and have wasted time to figure out why. 

BOI's and Eir's attitude to this issue is nothing short of childish and shows a complete lack of respect for their customer's time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

mdynamic wrote: »
    I too am having the same issue. Bank of Ireland blames Eir and Eir blames Bank of Ireland for using a third party service to send texts.

Perhaps Bank of Ireland should stop playing pass the buck and either fix the situation or let their online customers know that BOI cannot send verification texts if the customer uses Eir. I have wasted hours on this issue and I'm sure many others have too.

'We do have customers on this Network that receive the activation codes' isn't any help whatsoever and absolutely no consolation to those that can't receive the texts and have wasted time to figure out why.

BOI's and Eir's attitude to this issue is nothing short of childish and shows a complete lack of respect for their customer's time.

Hi mdynamic,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

Please be assured that that we do take note of all the feedback that we receive here.
    We would send messages to a number that we are having issues sending activation codes too and if you're not receiving any messages it would usually mean that the message has been sent.
    I understand how frustrating this must be for you and I have given a link here that shows how you can raise an official complaint with us.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

lostinNaas wrote: »
    Eir support say the problem is a "business disagreement".
    This is exactly the problem. BOI, and indeed every business sending automated SMS messages, goes through a 3rd party, a so-called SMS aggregator, they can't realistically do this kind of thing themselves.

The problem comes with the rates the SMS aggregators get charged by the various mobile networks for carrying their traffic. The SMS aggregators clearly want to pay as little as possible to the networks, the networks want to get as much as possible from the aggregators and the customer, i.e. BOI also wants to pay as little as possible.

This clearly is a recipe for conflict, and all 3 parties can simultaneously be considered to be to blame for such situations. The proliferation of aggregators on the market, all trying to undercut each other contributes to the problem.

It's a mess, and it's only going to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AndrePortela

"We can confirm customer on this Network are receiving their codes as mentioned above this would be a individual issue."

Not true. I am an Eir customer and i can't receive SMS messages from BOI since December/2017.

I have many friends who are BoI customers using Eir and have the same issue.

This is a general problem and to receive activation codes through post is not an acceptable solution. We should wait 3 days or more to get a code to make a payment and be happy with that?

If this was affecting new bank customer registrations or services that BoI benefits from, i doubt it would be still going for over 6 months now.

At this stage, I am more inclined to change banks than mobile operators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Hi All, sorry you've had difficulty receiving these codes. 

Just a quick update to let you know that we've checked this with our support team and can confirm that they are currently liaising with Eir in relation to this. 

Thanks, Nicola 

Just a quick update to let you know that we've checked this with our support team and can confirm that they are currently liaising with Eir in relation to this. 

Thanks, Nicola 
    Thanks, Nicola.

I hope this can be sorted out soon. At least BoI is trying something while Eir is just blaming it all on the bank.

• Advertisement

Thanks, Nicola 
    Any update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi AndrePortela

Thanks for coming back to us.

Please be assured our internal Technical Support Team are presently in discussion with Eir.

We've checked our side and can confirm the codes are being sent by us but some customers are not receiving these through the Eir network. We've escalated this with Eir as high priority.

Many Thanks
    Alison

Hi AndrePortela

Thanks for coming back to us.

Please be assured our internal Technical Support Team are presently in discussion with Eir.

We've checked our side and can confirm the codes are being sent by us but some customers are not receiving these through the Eir network. We've escalated this with Eir as high priority.

Many Thanks
    Alison
    Thanks, Alison.

We'll keep waiting and hoping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

any update?

Thanks brightkane for coming back to us.

Our Technical Support Team have linked in with us and advised Eir has now resolved this.

So sorry again for the inconvenience and thanks for your patience,

Many Thanks
    Alison

Thanks brightkane for coming back to us.

Our Technical Support Team have linked in with us and advised Eir has now resolved this.

So sorry again for the inconvenience and thanks for your patience,

Many Thanks
    Alison
    its not resolved for me unfortunately.

Hi brightkane,

If you have tried deleting and adding the payee and no security code has been received we would ask you to contact BOI Direct to look into this further on 0818 365 365 / 00353 140 44000. Our Advisors are available Mon-Fri 8am-12 midnight, Weekends 9am-6pm.

Many Thanks
    Alison

Hi brightkane,

If you have tried deleting and adding the payee and no security code has been received we would ask you to contact BOI Direct to look into this further on 0818 365 365 / 00353 140 44000. Our Advisors are available Mon-Fri 8am-12 midnight, Weekends 9am-6pm.

Many Thanks
    Alison
    its happening on both adding payees and changing address 

Hi brightkane

We would ask you to call and our colleagues can look into this. Sorry we would be unable to resolve it here for you.

Many Thanks
    Alison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 dirtyfingers

Hi Darren,

Having the same issue here, I've submitted a question via 365 online,
    and tried to send you the reference code, but your PM seem to be blocked?

Would really appreciate your help,

Thanks

Advertisement