Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7700K Temps. Should I Get It Delidded?

Options
  • 26-01-2018 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I have a 7700K currently at 1.3v 4.8ghz. It seems to be stable as far as I can tell but it runs really hot. I have an AIO arctic liquid freezer 240 and when I run realbench for 15 minutes the max temp is about 82C. In AIDA64 after about 3 minutes it's hitting 89C. Are these temps very high considering it's water cooled? I have another computer with an i7 2600 and a cooler master hyper evo 212. That only bits 61C after about 3 minutes running AIDA64 and that's an air cooler with the fan on slow speed.

Anyone else have a 7700K, should it really run that hot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

80C is max recommended for this chip I believe.

Run a few of these in work with closed loop water coolers and they sit at 34c all day

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭steo2k9

I'm thinking I need to get this one delidded but I don't want to break it. Is there a tool that can do it that I can order cheap enough or anyone near me that can do them?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

steo2k9 wrote: »
    I have a 7700K currently at 1.3v 4.8ghz. It seems to be stable as far as I can tell but it runs really hot. I have an AIO arctic liquid freezer 240 and when I run realbench for 15 minutes the max temp is about 82C. In AIDA64 after about 3 minutes it's hitting 89C. Are these temps very high considering it's water cooled? I have another computer with an i7 2600 and a cooler master hyper evo 212. That only bits 61C after about 3 minutes running AIDA64 and that's an air cooler with the fan on slow speed.

OC vs Stock?

Both stock its 91 and 95W respectively, if you're pushing the 7700 up closer to 110W or more with the same die area to transfer the heat away all other things being equal the peak temp will be a good bit higher.

Really though I'm running 135W CPUs through a very cheap 240mm rad with much much lower temps so I would suspect you've a suboptimal setup way before it gets to delidding.

Hows the case airflow? Is the pump header set properly or is it being underpowered. Correct fans used? You want SP not HF.
    srsly78 wrote: »
    80C is max recommended for this chip I believe.

Tj Max is 100*C, 85 would be acceptable operational temp if a bit on the high side.

Front mounted with push pull and I used the arctic compound. The pump is on 88% but I grt the same temps on 100. This is what my system is like. The cables at the bottom are from my second 970 I use in SLI but currently have it removed while testing.

Edit: also there's 2 top mounted LED fans. They aren't the best CFM but I have the side panel off and it still reaches them high temps. I'll try it at stock speeds and see What temps I get.

• Advertisement

At a glance that should be plenty to keep her in line. A very basic test is to see how hot the rad gets, if the pump is functioning properly the rad should be quite hot to the touch at 80*c, if its mysteriously cool you can look at flow issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm thinking I need to get this one delidded but I don't want to break it. Is there a tool that can do it that I can order cheap enough or anyone near me that can do them?

https://www.caseking.de/en/der8auer-delid-die-mate-2-fsd8-019.html

Best tool for the job AFAIK

There are cheaper on eBay; it's up to you if you trust your €350 to either a €30 tool or a €12 one.

ED E wrote: »
    At a glance that should be plenty to keep her in line. A very basic test is to see how hot the rad gets, if the pump is functioning properly the rad should be quite hot to the touch at 80*c, if its mysteriously cool you can look at flow issues.

The radiator is kind of just lukewarm. It's at about 35c then as soon as I start aida64 it straight over 80. It's acting like a bad thermal compound application but it's definitely applied properly. The only other compound I have here is this really cheap stuff that I can try but it's likely not great. I'll try it now at stock speed and see what happens.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    https://www.caseking.de/en/der8auer-delid-die-mate-2-fsd8-019.html

Best tool for the job AFAIK

There are cheaper on eBay; it's up to you if you trust your €350 to either a €30 tool or a €12 one.

I'd rather buy the better tool and not have to pay another 300 lol. It's 77c max now on stock speed 1.22v in aida64. That's still without the side on.

It could be an air bubble in the block. Try putting the case "on its face".

• Advertisement

There's definitely nothing wrong with the block. I unplugged the pump and watched the temps rise quickly then plugged it back in and they dropped immediately.

If I buy the tool and delid should I use this?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F121573853076

I seen elsewhere someone delidded and only used mx4 but they were told to use that instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Isn't the 7700K well known for getting extremely hot under sustained load/OC'ing? I think what you're experiencing is pretty normal.

Personally I find AIO water coolers a waste of time - not sure why they became such a big deal, a lot of them are loud and don't do a particularly great job compared to higher end air coolers either.

A very good air cooler with good airflow and a good case fan setup is probably the way to go with that CPU. De-lidding is something I generally don't advise as there's potential there to destroy your CPU. It happens a lot.

Isn't the 7700K well known for getting extremely hot under sustained load/OC'ing? I think what you're experiencing is pretty normal.

Personally I find AIO water coolers a waste of time - not sure why they became such a big deal, a lot of them are loud and don't do a particularly great job compared to higher end air coolers either.

A very good air cooler with good airflow and a good case fan setup is probably the way to go with that CPU. De-lidding is something I generally don't advise as there's potential there to destroy your CPU. It happens a lot.

Yeah I had a cooler master evo 212 and tbh the aio didn't bring the temps down as far as I expected. Is 77C in realbench ok for stock clocks with 1.22v? It hits 76C immediately and only goes to about 77c after 3-5 minutes.

Also this room can be very hot sometimes which it actually wasn't while doing these tests.

The Evo 212 isn't even that great a cooler - great for the money alright, but for €60-70 you can get some seriously incredible air coolers. My 6700K under load @4.8 never goes above about 55c, I've a thermaltake cooler, can't quite remember the model but it was about €60.

Had a few AIO's and apart from the bling factor think they're pointless. 77c sounds normal to me for a 7700K at 4.4Ghz or whatever the standard turbo is under benchmark conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-7700k-delid-performance-tests/

7700K practically requires a delid; it's why I was recommending 6700K last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

Personally I find AIO water coolers a waste of time - not sure why they became such a big deal, a lot of them are loud and don't do a particularly great job compared to higher end air coolers either

Perhaps not as efficient as higher end air coolers, but they’re certainly far from ineffective. In my case, I’ve a very small 140mm AIO sitting atop a 7700k in an mitx case. The cpu sits at 32c idle all day long, and under load, goes nowhere near critical or max safe temps. I wouldn’t have the space for an air cooler in my case, so the aio does the job brilliantly. I have no issue with the minimal noise from it either, compared to my previous ancient build, it’s practically silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

The Evo 212 isn't even that great a cooler - great for the money alright, but for €60-70 you can get some seriously incredible air coolers. My 6700K under load @4.8 never goes above about 55c, I've a thermaltake cooler, can't quite remember the model but it was about €60.

Sorry for going off topic but what voltage are you using for 4.8 on the 6700k - sounds like you did well in the silicon lottery at 4.8 and 55 degrees.

I'm at 4.5 and 1.315V and although it doesn't go above 60ish on "in use" load it goes into the 70s when stress tested. 240mm Cooler Master AIO.

My uncle has a 6700k and his runs a lot cooler though I know it's clocked lower. I would have no problem just using a good air cooler but with temps this high on an AIO they need to go down. The reason I'm guessing it needs to be delidded is because the temp ramps up and then just stays at the same temp through stress tests whereas the 2600 with the cooler master will slowly get hotter and hotter due to the cooler not being as efficient. If the temp rose slowly I'd believe it but the fact that it goes from 30 to 76 when I hit start on a stress test immediately even on stock speeds that can't be normal. If I had it again I'd of probably just saved 50 euro and got a 6700k but now that I already have the 7700k I might aswell just sort it out.

I'd prefer not to have to delid it but with how fast the temp rises even performing simple tasks like opening programs it just has me thinking.

The 4770k my brother has hits 82c under stress and that's at 4.2 at 1.25v

Maybe I should get the tool and delid both. Surely if I do it right there won't be a problem.

Sorry for going off topic but what voltage are you using for 4.8 on the 6700k - sounds like you did well in the silicon lottery at 4.8 and 55 degrees.

I'm at 4.5 and 1.315V and although it doesn't go above 60ish on "in use" load it goes into the 70s when stress tested. 240mm Cooler Master AIO.

I'll have to check. Can't remember off the top of my head.

The other thing is that, the temps I mentioned are under real world gaming application - the temps would be higher under 100% benching torture naturally.

I think my cooler is actually the Thermalright HR22 with fan. It actually was designed as a passive cooler without a fan though, and cost about €65-70.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

My uncle has a 6700k and his runs a lot cooler though I know it's clocked lower. I would have no problem just using a good air cooler but with temps this high on an AIO they need to go down. The reason I'm guessing it needs to be delidded is because the temp ramps up and then just stays at the same temp through stress tests whereas the 2600 with the cooler master will slowly get hotter and hotter due to the cooler not being as efficient. If the temp rose slowly I'd believe it but the fact that it goes from 30 to 76 when I hit start on a stress test immediately even on stock speeds that can't be normal. If I had it again I'd of probably just saved 50 euro and got a 6700k but now that I already have the 7700k I might aswell just sort it out.

I'd prefer not to have to delid it but with how fast the temp rises even performing simple tasks like opening programs it just has me thinking.

The 4770k my brother has hits 82c under stress and that's at 4.2 at 1.25v

Maybe I should get the tool and delid both. Surely if I do it right there won't be a problem.

There was someone on here before who needed to delid their chip, I sent them my delid tool in the post to do it, all I ask is you post it back when you're done :)

It will do the 4770k too I believe, may want to purchase CLU first before I post it up if you want.

• Advertisement

Blitz17 wrote: »
    There was someone on here before who needed to delid their chip, I sent them my delid tool in the post to do it, all I ask is you post it back when you're done :)

It will do the 4770k too I believe, may want to purchase CLU first before I post it up if you want.

That would be grand. I literally would only need it for a few minutes and then probably never need it again anytime soon. I get paid Tuesday night so I can order CLU that night and obviously I'll pay the post both ways ☺

That would be grand. I literally would only need it for a few minutes and then probably never need it again anytime soon. I get paid Tuesday night so I can order CLU that night and obviously I'll pay the post both ways ☺

Ah no need to pay post both ways, ill post it up and just send it back when youre finished with it :)

Its the RockiIt88 delid tool, it doesnt come with the relid tool but I dont glue my IHS back on anyway. When you get the CLU ordered let me know your address by PM and ill send it up :)

Blitz17 wrote: »
    Ah no need to pay post both ways, ill post it up and just send it back when youre finished with it :)

Its the RockiIt88 delid tool, it doesnt come with the relid tool but I dont glue my IHS back on anyway. When you get the CLU ordered let me know your address by PM and ill send it up :)

Will do cheers. I'm ordering the tube stuff right? I'd imagine the metal strips are meant for being used instead of compound and not under the die.

Better off not gluing it back on. It's being held on by the clamp anyway and under a waterblock. Also if it ever needed to be done again for some reason it saves the hassle of doing it again.

I seen before that someone knocked caps off the 7700k doing it but I'm gonna guess they put it in the tool the wrong way or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I'll have to check. Can't remember off the top of my head.

The other thing is that, the temps I mentioned are under real world gaming application - the temps would be higher under 100% benching torture naturally.

I think my cooler is actually the Thermalright HR22 with fan. It actually was designed as a passive cooler without a fan though, and cost about €65-70.

Cheers for that - don't feel as bad about my OC so!

OP - would love to see pictures of your delid when the time comes.

Will do cheers. I'm ordering the tube stuff right? I'd imagine the metal strips are meant for being used instead of compound and not under the die.

Better off not gluing it back on. It's being held on by the clamp anyway and under a waterblock. Also if it ever needed to be done again for some reason it saves the hassle of doing it again.

I seen before that someone knocked caps off the 7700k doing it but I'm gonna guess they put it in the tool the wrong way or something.

Yeah it comes in a syringe, messy stuff. You apply what you think is a small amount and start spreading it, turns out there's enough to cover 100 CPUs lol.

From what I seen the people who damaged capacitors put the CPU into the tool wrong. But always check to make sure nothings amiss. I done a 4670k, 4770k, 4790k, 6700k and Praetorian from this forum used mine on his 8600k or 8700k.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I hate wading into these threads with my limited knowledge so I'll try and be quick and duck back out again before anyone notices me .

I have a 7700k , it runs hot , there is a massive thread on the intel forums about same . It has never caused an issue though, also there are plenty of people with the same chip and no problems . I lost interest in following the thread on intel as it just went on and on and on and like I said I wasn't having issues .

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

I wont repeat what others have said about the chip being a hot one.... but in terms of AIO vs a good air cooler I'd go air all day. I tend to keep PC's anywhere from 2-4 years depending on when i get the upgrade itch. the current setup is a 4790k which i was using with a i60 AIO. I know this is a small AIO but still. I had it at 4.5ghz just fine. It would push over 80 on a stress test but general gaming and use it was fine. I got a Noctua D15.... just about the biggest air cooler and arguably the best going... now sitting at 4.8ghz for day to day, with lower temps, and had it at 5ghz with a uncomfortable voltage push. needless to say the investment in that held off the itch for another while.

I found with the AIO that after a long time the liquid can evaporate and there is no means to refill safely. Air coolers you just re apply the thermal paste every once in a while, give it a clean and its good to go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I have a passively cooled 7700k at stock speeds, doesn't run hot - no spikes. It seems it's luck of the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Joeface

As straight forward as delidding is suppose to be , this is the CPU i was handed about a week ago
    it is a 3770K , and who ever did the de lidding was god awful . So take your time and do it right :D
    Lid is off centre , you can see the damage to the lid the Socket latch does , even the soldermask/resist has been removed and there are visible traces .

https://ibb.co/gfoz4R
    https://ibb.co/hKLCPR
    https://ibb.co/ij2gJm
    https://ibb.co/bK0qB6
    https://ibb.co/kgKiW6

• Advertisement

Joeface wrote: »
    As straight forward as delidding is suppose to be , this is the CPU i was handed about a week ago
    it is a 3770K , and who ever did the de lidding was god awful . So take your time and do it right :D
    Lid is off centre , you can see the damage to the lid the Socket latch does , even the soldermask/resist has been removed and there are visible traces .

https://ibb.co/gfoz4R
    https://ibb.co/hKLCPR
    https://ibb.co/ij2gJm
    https://ibb.co/bK0qB6
    https://ibb.co/kgKiW6

That's almost as bad as the guy who delidded his 7700k, knocked off some capacitors, soldered them poorly back on, and it booted :eek::D

Advertisement