Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re car claim

Options
  • 26-01-2018 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi have googled but keep finding conflicting info, so if anyone can clear this up for me I'd appreciate it!
    I was involved in an accident where other party has admitted liability (finally). His insurance has approved payout for repairs to car and will invoice garage direct. They are putting pressure on me to get car sorted asap

In any case I asked could they issue a cheque for agreed amount to myself and partner and we can repair in our own time. So they come back saying hmmm ok but you will get ex vat amount and our insurance co can inspect to see were repairs carried out. Gave an example about people using second hand parts to save money and they can come back after and reclaim the amount saved?? Just sounded like bloody scaremongering.

Puzzled by this, I always thought that after an assessor agreed the amount that a cheque is issued for you to get car repaired where you want. Do I have to agree to garage being invoiced and repairs done their way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

You are entitled to the cost of repairing your car, including VAT, providing you get the work done. If you don't repair the vehicle, you haven't incurred VAT, so you cannot claim it as a loss. The VAT element in an invoice does not belong to you or the garage, it belongs to Revenue

Get the car fixed and let your insurer pay the invoice in full

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rainbow76

Ah thanks a mill I get it now. They offered cash in lieu settlement which I’m tempted to take and just get minimum done to car. We’ll drive it into ground as tbh I wouldn’t get much for it after repairs. Then put remaining few quid towards next car. They said though with this the insurance can request a statement of works done. Seems a bit unfair. I get it if it’s thousands extra and assessment is way over the top, but we are talking 500 quid here. Which I’m like eh I can do without the cosmetics for moment.

Thanks for clearing vat up it makes sense how you explain it

Advertisement