Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apprenticeship at 29

Options
  • 26-01-2018 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    I've travelled the world, saved a nice bit of money, come back to Ireland and built a house. I'm repaying a relatively small mortgage at the moment, so I suppose the question is am I gone past doing an apprenticeship?? Should I accept what I have and just work away at a job that I don't really like or is going to lead me nowhere? Just wondering what experiences people have of doing an apprenticeship at an old age??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭username2013

mike39 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've travelled the world, saved a nice bit of money, come back to Ireland and built a house. I'm repaying a relatively small mortgage at the moment, so I suppose the question is am I gone past doing an apprenticeship?? Should I accept what I have and just work away at a job that I don't really like or is going to lead me nowhere? Just wondering what experiences people have of doing an apprenticeship at an old age??

Don't think 29 is old to be honest, especially if you have a bit of money tucked away and can survive been on a smaller wage for a year or 2 while you get trained. I know a fella who farmed into his mid 40s that decided to become an electrician. 29 is grand, you would be qualified by 33 or 34 all going well right? That's still young, life does not end when ya hit 30!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

The average person of your age will probably work till they are at least 70. I see no point in letting the last decade dictate what I do for the next 4! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Remember that we are now in an era of a new type of apprenticeship. It's no longer constrained to the traditional, manual labour roles such as a carpenter or electrician. You can now do one in areas as diverse as insurance, computer networking and polymer engineering.

Advertisement