Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does one go about working legally in the USA?

Options
  • 26-01-2018 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Lets say I have being formally offered a job, in writing, by an employer in California.
    Who do I contact?
    What forms need to be filled?
    What does the employer have to do at their end?
    How long does the process take?
    Once I have permission to work in the US, is there a time limit on how long you can work or is it indefinite?

I think I'm too old and too long out of college for the J1 system.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

98-00 wrote: »

Lets say I have being formally offered a job, in writing, by an employer in California.
    Who do I contact?
    What forms need to be filled?
    What does the employer have to do at their end?
    How long does the process take?
    Once I have permission to work in the US, is there a time limit on how long you can work or is it indefinite?

I think I'm too old and too long out of college for the J1 system.

You can't self apply for a Visa. The company has to sponsor you. This costs them a lot of money ($10,000+) and they have to demonstrate that you are capable of doing the job over any American person. Unless you have specified that you don't have permission to work in the US , the company will be working under the assumption that you do and any job offer will be based on this.

In short, unless you have a very specific and niche skill set, or can transfer with your existing company, it isn't going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

^^^^ what he said!

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

I've found one way to get in...but it's a long con.

Apply IEC Canada.
    Work for 1 year.
    Apply for PR.
    1 year- 2 later apply for Canadian Citizen ship.

3 - 4 years from now as a Canadian you just need a job offer in the states no more sponsorship required. But you realize the quality of living was better in Canada all along and you just stay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

jme2010 wrote: »
    I've found one way to get in...but it's a long con.

Apply IEC Canada.
    Work for 1 year.
    Apply for PR.
    1 year- 2 later apply for Canadian Citizen ship.

3 - 4 years from now as a Canadian you just need a job offer in the states no more sponsorship required. But you realize the quality of living was better in Canada all along and you just stay there.

That route depends on NAFTA still being a thing. Also it's to certain job types (mainly in STEM).

Your time line for Canadian citizenship is a bit off too (processing time alone is in the region of 12 months at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Stenth

A significantly easier way:

1. Get a job with an international company with a branch (or headquarters) in the USA.
    2. Work for a year.
    3. Get transferred to a position in the USA.
    4. When in the USA, apply for a green card.
    5. Done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Stenth wrote: »
    A significantly easier way:

1. Get a job with an international company with a branch (or headquarters) in the USA.
    2. Work for a year.
    3. Get transferred to a position in the USA.
    4. When in the USA, apply for a green card.
    5. Done.

That is the easiest way. However realise that you cannot apply for a GC on your own, it has to sponsored by the company you are working for.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    You can't self apply for a Visa. The company has to sponsor you. This costs them a lot of money ($10,000+) and they have to demonstrate that you are capable of doing the job over any American person. Unless you have specified that you don't have permission to work in the US , the company will be working under the assumption that you do and any job offer will be based on this.

In short, unless you have a very specific and niche skill set, or can transfer with your existing company, it isn't going to happen.

You can self apply and petition without an offer of work for a green card under EB1 or NIW category.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

vard wrote: »
    You can self apply and petition without an offer of work for a green card under EB1 or NIW category.

From a quick look one would really need to be top of their profession to get one of those visas

Advertisement