Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Hacked

Options
  • 26-01-2018 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

The other day I got an email saying that my EA account was signed in from a new web browser in Bangladesh. Yesterday I got a genuine email from Instagram saying "We got a request to reset your Instagram password." And now today I got an email from test@gator3180.hostgator.com, with the subject line "test" and content of the email saying "test".

I'm wondering whats happening? How did this person manage to get my email address and password to sign into my EA account in particular? I have changed my passwords on everything as a precaution (and used different passwords for each site) but I'm a bit worried. I never would have left my accounts signed in on any public computer or given out my passwords. This person seems to be trying to do something and is very persistent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

Maybe your account details were were included in one of the many data breaches, you can check the following site to see if that's the case for at least some of them. It possible your EA account details weren't discovered but some other a/c that used the same email/ pwd combo.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Rgds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

gerryR wrote: »
    Maybe your account details were were included in one of the many data breaches, you can check the following site to see if that's the case for at least some of them. It possible your EA account details weren't discovered but some other a/c that used the same email/ pwd combo.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Rgds

Thanks! Just checked there and the email account associated with my EA account hasn't been breached but my Instagram email has been breached from two different websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

All you can really do is have unique passwords for every site and use 2 factor authentication where available.

A password manager is great for creating and storing good strong passwords.

Advertisement