Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you fear death?

• 26-01-2018 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Used to when I was a child. Now I couldn't care less.

Do you fear death? 225 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    40%
    Simi_Kaiser_Zhanemoby2101Wompa1KevIRLapplehunterocallaghfred funk }{sdanseoBurts BeeGreyfox8kvscdpglqnyr4shockwaveComhrábuckwheatLeilakTigerbabymookishboymonicafussy 92 votes
    I am immortal (there can be only one tick on this)
    59%
    Valentina[Deleted User]PsygnosisjimmycrackcormdonspeekingleshdudaraAglomeradosmithy1981MeleftoneAn Bradán Feasadok_golfbikoRonaldinhochubba1984jos28barry181091megadodgeHenry Ford IIIaidan24326Kurtosis 133 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Who are you trying to convince?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Everything must die at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Used to as a child.still do.more so if anything with more miles on the clock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

I'll just re-reg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I am not frightened of dying, any time will do, I don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying? There's no reason for it, you've gotta go sometime.

If you can hear this whispering you are dying.

I never said I was frightened of dying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don't fear death, it's the dying part that scares the life out of me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Desperately!

I have two young kids, my dad died young and I have inherited his medical family history which like him I’m on medication for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

faceman wrote: »
    I am not frightened of dying, any time will do, I don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying? There's no reason for it, you've gotta go sometime.

If you can hear this whispering you are dying.

I never said I was frightened of dying

That was an Irish security man at abbey Road i think

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Can't say I'm too enthralled by the prospect but at least it won't be like going to a wedding. Unless Hell actually exists which means I'll be going to weddings every day for eternity

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

not point in worrying about the inevitable. There is FA you can do to change it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I fear pain, not death.

Of my own death? Not massively fearful, for now.
    Of my parents' deaths? Absolutely terrified. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

No
    The idea of an afterlife freaks me out a bit, I would much prefer there to be nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭scooby77

Don't fear being dead at all. Think experiencing a parent dying at a young age lead to a binary attitude to life.
    However I do fear a long, slow painful death or being terminally incapacitated.
    So my better half and other next of kin know I'm not joking when I refer to one way ticket to Switzerland!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I didn't till Bruce Forsyth died.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

What Biko said.

When I'm dead, I wont know it.

But stuck in a lift with say, Ruby Wax, or Heeeeacthorrrr, well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Same. Close close with me, mum and dad already.

scooby77 wrote: »
    Don't fear being dead at all. Think experiencing a parent dying at a young age lead to a binary attitude to life.
    However I do fear a long, slow painful death or being terminally incapacitated.
    So my better half and other next of kin know I'm not joking when I refer to one way ticket to Switzerland!

Me too.

I’d like to die like my nan died last year. After breakfast. Cup of tea and off she went. Content

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm not frightened of it, but I really don't want to die. They are two very separate things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I don't really know. I fear what I would leave behind if I die. What I would miss scares the sh*t out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

I don't fear death but i hate missing out. I'd like to live till five or six hundred years lots to happen in that time but not forever that'd you get bored. I think when you die it was like before you were born so the instance it happens you'll never know that you were alive but you were and now you're going to miss out all a lot of fantastic things and that's it, not being there to witness that makes me want to prolong death some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

The thing to do is to try and live in the present.
    While your living in dread of the inevitability of your parents dying, you could be enjoying time with them while your all still well.
    None of us knows what the future holds.
    Enjoy yourself it’s later then you think

There is a certain paradox with the subject of all our impending deaths. In one case there is the fear of letting go, but at least in letting go you will no longer have to contend with all the tough aspects of having to live - witnessing those closest to you having to die themselves is one such tough aspect of life, going through a bad illness. At least with death there is the definite zone of not having to worry no more. But that also means by entering the zone of death you will leave behind those closest to you to mourn you and contend with all that grief themselves. They will have to endure the pain. There is nothing that can be done about it. All you can do is try to enjoy your health, enjoy your interests, maintain some responsibility to keep your $hit together, stick on some tunes and enjoy the company of people you get on with while you can. That's all you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

No
    I was fearless when I was younger and just accepted it as something thats going to happen to us all.

though after being pregnant, my nerves are like tightroping on spider web, and its something I think about A LOT:confused:
    I feel like the worry is going to send me there quicker at this stage!

some people have mentioned that death doesn't bother them but being in pain does.
    I think i'd be the opposite.
    i'd want to hang on as long as I can in pain, but the 'curtains closed' permanently, is just way too much for me to handle:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Death fears me......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Being dead no because I believe in a life after death and that I’ll see the people I love that have gone before me. I don’t particularly want to die any time soon mind you but in itself it’s a fact of life, the only certainty in life and we must all face it eventually.

The process of dying however - yes that scares me - the thought that I might suffer a long and drawn out death from some debilitating disease or injury scares the life out of me.

In terms of myself dying young frightens me most of all. If I have my way I’ll die a very old woman asleep in my own bed having lived a long and full life.

Losing those I love frightens me more than losing my own life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

No
    Yes, I fear death, I fear pain also, but I don't worry about it every day.

When the idea of me dying crosses my mind (fleetingly, thankfully, and not at all talking about suicide here, just my mortality) I think of my children, and I feel absolute dread. When they'll be grown up more maybe I'll feel a bit more at peace with my mortality. Maybe ... :)

edit : now I've another feeling of dread because I thought of their and Mr M's mortality. Got to get up and do something now to shake it off.
    TAed at you now NollagShona ! :o:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Ive had a very happy life so far, I’m very easily amused with low expectations and that has proved to be a blessing.
    I’m 200% sure of the afterlife and of the existence of God and the expectation that I will see all my loved ones who have already died too.
    My daughter still needs me (a lot) so I’d hope I can stay until she doesn’t need me so much any more but I’m not afraid to die at all,
    It’s not something you can control at all and people should try not to dwell on it too much or for too long because of that and because everyday you need to enjoy just being alive and loving as many people as you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

No
    Yes. Absolutely. That's the end of you and no-one knows for sure what, if anything, is on the other side - how could that not be terrifying.

No
    I think if I believed in an afterlife I might not feel so bad about lights out.
    but I don't believe in it so..

although, i'm not sure if i'd even like it if there was one.
    it sounds very overcrowded to me, and i'm not much of a people person :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

No
    Like others have already said, I don’t fear being dead, but I do fear dying painfully, and being scared while doing so. I also sometimes think about my children’s deaths in the future when I’m not around to comfort them - this really upsets me and is very morbid I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭cycle4fun

I also sometimes think about my children’s deaths in the future when I’m not around to comfort them .

I never thought of that. I sometimes think though what an awful place Europe is likely to be in say 50 years time, based on future population projections etc.

No
    I actually have a very elderly neighbour who has been slowing down a lot the last two years.
    she says things about it being near the end for her and she looks terrified(obviously) by it.
    she had a sister that died about 30yrs ago that she absolutely adored.
    she's always talking about how much she loved her, and she cant wait to see her again.
    it's really lovely for me to here her saying that, and I know even though she is scared, she truly believes she will see her sister again and I think thats lovely and I would never try and take that away from her

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

No
    I fear the death of my direct family, me, any children, my dog. Otherwise I'm not scared of death. So on average I'm not scared of death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Death is the gateway to eternal life.

Anybody concerned with dying, death, or going/gone through some shape of life altering potential grief should read "Jerusalem" by Alan Moore. Came out last year, fantastic novelized dramatic take on time, death, life and potential afterlife in a local community. It's 1300 pages long but its a damn sight better pastime diving into that than watching most of the vapid actual soul destroying $hite what be on the television.

No
    Arghus wrote: »
    Yes. Absolutely. That's the end of you and no-one knows for sure what, if anything, is on the other side - how could that not be terrifying.

I believe there's nothing after it, and I like life (I'd say love, except for the ****ty aspects that are part and parcel of being alive), so I really really really reaaaally don't want it to be over any time soon.

I hope I get to live to a point where I feel I've had my fair share and I don't mind it finishing. You know, like these old people who say they don't mind, they're a bit tired actually and any time soon would do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Jimjones55

No
    I'm 22 and absolutely fear it because I love my life so much. I feel time is going far to fast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

No
    buried wrote: »
    Anybody concerned with dying, death, or going/gone through some shape of life altering potential grief should read "Jerusalem" by Alan Moore. Came out last year, fantastic novelized dramatic take on time, death, life and potential afterlife in a local community. It's 1300 pages long but its a damn sight better pastime diving into that than watching most of the vapid actual soul destroying $hite what be on the television.
    Cool. I wasn't going to bother because I didn't like his films, and was disappointed with any of his comics I read newer than neonomicon. Some of his stuff is awesome though, so hopefully the end of his comics career doesn't indicate the end of his production of some fantastic work.

Edit: Crossed 100 was great too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭jimbobalob309

No
    yeah not the biggest fan of the idea of it to be honest. i don't believe in any kind of afterlife so assume i will just stop existing and having conscious thought and wont know any different but christ who wants to not exist in all fairness??

much worse is the idea of someone close to me dying though, think ill be wishing death on myself when that eventually happens

No
    I hope I get to live to a point where I feel I've had my fair share and I don't mind it finishing. You know, like these old people who say they don't mind, they're a bit tired actually and any time soon would do.

maybe that's my problem.
    my life has been on pause for too many years(& it's not going to change any time soon) and I feel like I havn't lived enough.
    it would be so sad if I was on my deathbed any time soon :(

Cool. I wasn't going to bother because I didn't like his films, and was disappointed with any of his comics I read newer than neonomicon. Some of his stuff is awesome though, so hopefully the end of his comics career doesn't indicate the end of his production of some fantastic work.

If you have a audible account I'd recommend getting the audiobook too. Simon Vance is the narrator and does a brilliant job vocalizing the drama that is on the page! 60 hours of it too! I bought both versions I thought it was so good, audio and paperback. It really is brilliant. Makes you want to write down your own stories from family and local events from your own little universe. Very heavy on death, but does it in such a celebratory way, its like nothing else out there IMO. If you get it let us know what you made of it after reading iton the reading thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

No
    I have a fear of dying like most people, but I think if I live to say, 85 or thereabouts, my fear will be much less. I have a belief in some sort of afterlife, though not sure about the specifics, and in a strange way I sort of look forward to it as I imagine it will be a state of having no physical pain or illness, depression or unhappiness and no need for getting dressed every morning, or feeling cold, hungry or tired, no need to wash and shave each day or to have a roof over your head and no need for all the efforts we have to make just to live in reasonable mortal comfort.

Imagine if you were somehow destined to live indefinitely, and the prospect of having all your family and friends passing on and you find yourself greatly aged in a world of strangers, people of no relevance whatsoever....

Yes, I have a fear of dying, especially a painful death from some terminal illness, or drowning or a house-fire or aircrash, but I'm curious (hopeful) about the big adventure afterwards. If deceased friends and family await, I think it will be fun.

No
    maybe that's my problem.
    my life has been on pause for too many years(& it's not going to change any time soon) and I feel like I havn't lived enough.
    it would be so sad if I was on my deathbed any time soon :(

I hope change does happen for you justfillmein.

No
    I hope change does happen for you justfillmein.

thanks mountain, so do I;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I fear dying before the kids are raised to adults and leaving their mother to raise boys alone but after that I'd take it on the chin. As sad as it is for adults to lose each other, it's not as bad as kids losing their parents before they're grown up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

No
    Yes, very much so. And I’ve had to confront it head-on after an metastatic breast cancer diagnosis two and a half years ago. I’m still not reconciled to it and, to be honest, I’m still completely devastated and terrified. I’m feckin’ 34 years old.

I’ve had people say to me in a carefree manner “sure we all have to die sometime” and “I could get hit by a bus tomorrow” as if that’s supposed to comfort me. To paraphrase Renton from Trainspotting: “It’s easy to be philosophical when some other poor fucker’s got shite for blood”.

I do believe some of the people here who say they don’t fear it but I do think some of ye would change your tune if you were handed a terminal diagnosis before you had hit middle age.

I had hydrocephalus when I was 17 and nearly died, learned (through life insurance application) this shortens my expected life span considerably, but I'm ok with that (til I reach 60...)

• Advertisement
Advertisement