Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday home overholding

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Hopefully you get a peaceful resolution from here

• Registered Users Posts: 33,951 ✭✭✭✭listermint

When they come back you might want to follow them at a distance so you know where they are should anything further happen . You can then point them out to the guards if it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Make sure you have a 'phone on a shelf somewhere recording the proceedings when they do come back.

And, if you have the manpower, might be a good idea to keep up the surveillance outside before, during and after the encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

rex-x wrote: »
    Have an update: They were unaware that we were watching 24/7 and left to a car they had hidden down the road so we went to make entry and they had changed all our locks.... So we kicked in the front door and are currently bagging their stuff and awaiting their return whilst changing the locks again.... There is a small dog they brought who is on his way to the pound. Thankfully other than the front door the house is undamaged so far.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Surely the fact that the bastards changed the locks is against the law. Good on you op. Really hope this works out for you. Laws here are a joke,unless your a criminal,rapist,burglar,car thief or armed robber...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,537 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Have a lookout call the guards when they see them return, and video everything so the waste of life don't try to claim some made up bull**** later.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Glad you’re back in side, sounds like they wanted a pay off if all still intact. I’d be sure to stay put, when are next guests due. Record everything on their return.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

Hope this works out.

****ing bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sell up and move on. There is no reward for being a LL even if it is short term.

They could return and torch the place in revenge. Shudder.

I would hate to have that hanging over me.

Get video surveillance pronto anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichT

Delighted you've gained the upper hand!

Any chance you could set up a live web cam? Should be great viewing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

We're soon going to need a guarantor who is mutually acquainted with both landlord and tenant, even for an overnight stay. My sympathies, OP. I hope you and your friends stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭virgo69

In these circumstances i.e. short term let's for holiday homes, can you put a reserve on people's credit cards...a bit like car hire?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Fair play OP, if they haven't returned yet, make sure to video proceedings in case they try any auld bullsh!t making claims that you assaulted them etc.

Can you charge damages to their credit card? If not, make it a condition for future lets...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

does anyone have knowledge of restricted key systems? afaik the keys cant be copied but could the lock still be changed? maybe something like that would help for short lets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Proof that the law is an ass in this country. There is such a reluctance for guards to tackle any issue involving itinerants for fear of the bad publicity.
    It seems to have gotten to a point where there is a different law for settled people and itinerants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

burn anything they left in the house.

Well payed getting your property back. As soon as they show up call the gardai and report intruders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Proof that the law is an ass in this country. There is such a reluctance for guards to tackle any issue involving itinerants for fear of the bad publicity.
    It seems to have gotten to a point where there is a different law for settled people and itinerants

It's been that way for as long as I am alive anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

Nothing to do with itinerants. Plenty of similar stories on boards about them claiming civil matters where clearly it is criminal. There was a thread recently about a group running a brothel and not even paying the rent on a property.
    Guards stood by and watched it happen.

Either the law needs to be changed or they need to get off there arses.
    I suspect it is the latter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- the OP once again has possession of his property.
    Given the large number of seriously dubious suggestions on this thread- I am going to be kind an give people the benefit of doubt for once- however, the thread is going to be closed.

OP- if you have any further information you'd like to post to thread- PM me directly, and I'll assess whether, or not, to allow it.

Regards all-

The_Conductor

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement