Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full laptop C Drive . . No idea how!

Options
  • 27-01-2018 3:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Hi Boardsies,

I am not at all technically minded so my dilemma has me stumped. Bought an ASUS TP200S for travelling in June, has been working fine ever since.

It has a CDrive storage of 28.3GB and this week tells me its full. But I have stored nothing on it, nor ran any updates (that I am aware of) so I don't know what to delete.

What I know;
    * I ran Disk Clean Up and the most I can get rid of is about 15MB at a time.
    * I upgraded to the new Windows (10?!) In August. The old version should have deleted itself by now, right? I also cannot find Windows.Old file.
    * I deleted Microsoft Office, which should have freed up nearly 400MB but I cant see it has made any difference.
    * I have no apps, pictures, documents etc stored on there.

Any ideas? Webpages won't load now and any that do are PAINFULLY slow... not great when I need to update a blog.

Thanks folks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

You bought a computer than has far too small a drive for actual use unfortunately. Windows will take up 18gb + of your 32gb (and its more like 27-28 due to recovery partition etc) and then you have the default images, games, random bloatware that comes with it which in my experience on these only gives you 3-5 gigs to use which quickly gets filled by chrome/downloads/temp files. Check and see if the drive is upgradeable (likely it is soldered direct and not possible)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Holy bojangles, not the response I was expecting but thanks a million for getting back to me rex-x. Specs online I note say it has a 64GB eMMC storage.

Apparently I can buy a MicroSD and transfer some files there... wish me luck locating one in Colombia ;)

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

did you select the "previous windows installations" option while running disk cleanup?
    Follow this--> https://betanews.com/2017/10/19/free-up-space-in-windows-10-by-cleaning-fall-creators-update/

The plot thickens...! I am in Colombia and as guessed, found it impossible today to locate a PC shop, let alone find a SD Card.

I spoke with ASUS Helpdesk who told me ''ASUS recommends that you perform a System Reset to wipe the entire device then disable Windows updates''. I tried this but in order to run a System Reset I needed 6GB free - I currently have less than 300MB. I did disable windows updates successfully though.

I spoke with them again tonight and they now advise me to run Disc Clean Allow and System File Checker. I shall do these now.

@WetBench4 thanks for this. Followed all steps and not only do I not have the option to delete ''Previous Windows installation(s)'' but I also tried the 2nd part of the advice, System-Storage etc and don't have the option to delete previous versions either here.

@Sugarman, I've posted some screenshots for you here.

I will try the latest ASUS advice and see what happens . . Its gotten even worse this evening, I can literally do almost nothing online :(

Thanks again for your input folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭shinju

Go to add/remove programs and check if there are any more programs you can remove.

If you have sufficient space, run jdisk report
    http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/jdiskreport/

It should show you where your space is being consumed.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

You could try to disable hibernation which usually frees up a nice bit of space. Have a look at this --> https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15140/what-is-hiberfil.sys-and-how-do-i-delete-it/

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭human 19

If I were you, I would go over to the Unix section and ask about what linux operating system to install. Windows install is HUGE compared to linux operating systems
    (and some linux ones are really small but no bells and whistles).

I have had linux OS's installed and run from a 16GB USB stick. Basic install takes up about 8GB + a bit more for whatever programs you install later, leaving quite a bit of space for pics, vids, etc.

It just means you will need a PC to download the operating system on to a PC, burn it on to a disk with Brasero or similar, then (assuming your laptop can boot from a disk) put in in, boot up from the disk rather than the C Drive. Then you can play around with it or click "install" and follow the instructions i you want to use it full time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I assume it just takes a standard MicroSD card so your best bet is just to get one, they're pretty cheap but make sure to get one with a half decent read/write speed, not just the cheapest one you find (if you have the luxury of choice of course!)

Win10 wouldn't be 30GB but there could be a fair few recovery files there as well accounting for a good chunk of it.

It's also a very low-end device, so the poor performance is tied to that also. From a review for example:
    The net result of all this? An excruciatingly slow experience. Using the Asus TP200SA is like trying to travel at rush hour. Even the simplest task takes far longer than it should, and sometimes progress comes to a halt for no obvious reason.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Install Space Sniffer and see which files are taking up space. You could always switch to Linux?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

supermouse wrote: »
    Holy bojangles, not the response I was expecting but thanks a million for getting back to me rex-x. Specs online I note say it has a 64GB eMMC storage.

Apparently I can buy a MicroSD and transfer some files there... wish me luck locating one in Colombia ;)

Thanks again!

Not this one - it says 32GB for the Irish model

https://www.asus.com/ie/2-in-1-PCs/ASUS_Transformer_Book_Flip_TP200SA/specifications/

@Johnboy1951 I bought it in New Zealand... unsure if thats makes any difference?
    @terrorFirmer - true, knew it was a bad one, just wanted a cheapie that I didn't mind losing/getting robbed.

I bought an SD - managed in my terrible Spanish to get what I wanted. And with a LOT of Googling on my phone, I found how to transfer W10. its worked.

Thanks for all replies guys - had me sweating for quite some time! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Buy a solid state drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Windows 10 is problematic. When it's installing a major update e.g. version 1703 (April 2017) to version 1709 (September 2017) it essentially builds a new mirror of your windows directory, and configures it with the new OS, and swaps them during a restart.
    On a machine here, it kept trying and failing to upgrade windows 10 version 1703 because there was only 22GB free.

The size of C:\windows\software distribution\downloads might be very large or $WINDOWS.~BT depending on what stage it's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Some things to consider....
    1. I there other users/accounts set on this machine?
    2. hiberfil.sys, as mentioned by Wetbench4 in post #10, is hidden file and need to be deleted manually after you disabled feature - have not seen your reply to this. This file could be as big as your RAM.
    3. I know you said you not using "any apps", but what you use for your mail? See this just in case.
    4. I think, uninstalling office, outlook in particular, doesn't remove data file(could be big) - worth to check.
    5. One Drive as part of Office? Check this

Can't add nothing more here.......
    ressem wrote: »
    Windows 10 is problematic.....
    .........especially on undersized disk, with out-of-control-updates....

Advertisement