Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No More Quiet Coaches!

• 27-01-2018 1:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/irish-rail-phases-out-quiet-carriages-due-to-mobile-phone-use-466376.html
    Irish Rail is phasing out ‘quiet carriages’ on all trains due to the “almost universal use” of mobile phones.

Translates into IE and on board hosts the Cork trains cannot be bothered to do their jobs and remind customers this is the quiet coach. Of all Dublin hosts there is just one who actually does a top class job which includes informing customers this is the quiet coach. Has all the credentials which a train host requires, the rest are useless and clearly a case of "jobs for the boys and girls" got them into the positions.

Most Cork based ones are pretty good as well.

It completely goes against customer service improvements, if anything the ICR fleet should have them as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

"Now, as each train is brought in for standard maintenance, the “markers” that indicate a carriage as a quiet zone, will be removed."
    Hmm, perhaps they could fix the PA system while they bring the trains in for maintenance. Its a shambles! Hasnt been updated to the new timetable and it doesnt work half the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/irish-rail-phases-out-quiet-carriages-due-to-mobile-phone-use-466376.html

Translates into IE and on board hosts the Cork trains cannot be bothered to do their jobs and remind customers this is the quiet coach. Of all Dublin hosts there is just one who actually does a top class job which includes informing customers this is the quiet coach. Has all the credentials which a train host requires, the rest are useless and clearly a case of "jobs for the boys and girls" got them into the positions.

Most Cork based ones are pretty good as well.

It completely goes against customer service improvements, if anything the ICR fleet should have them as well.

there isn't much room for a quiet coach on the ICRS though. maybe if we lengthened them all to proper length trains then there could be a quiet coach but the order of more cars seems to be off the table unfortunately.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

As someone who has had to do a lot of travel while seriously ill over the last few years I loved having a quiet coach, and even when they were not official, tried to find one anyway (if necessary paying an upgrade fee)

It's not really people talking on phones that bugs me on the train, 95% speak in a modest tone, and I think the rest honestly are not aware how loud they are. Drunks annoy me, but it's rare and you can almost forgive um cos when you are drunk you don't realize how loud you are being.

What annoys me is something I keep seeing, over and over and over and I am honestly baffled by how f---g ignorant and inconsiderate some people are with it: playing videos or music on phones or laptops WITHOUT EARPHONES! You can get a pair of earphones in the bloody poundshop for €1.50 why oh why would you bother everyone around you like that?

But that's nothing compared to the (mostly skangers) who have this really bizzare and inexplicable habit of just playing mobile ring tones...randomly...they'll just sit there and shuffle between mobile ring tones, not like to decide on their tone..they just seem to do it as if listening to music. Its obvious a lot of people were brought up without any real consideration for the other people in the world ingrained into them.

This is typical of Irish rail, give up and take the half assed approach, reminds me of their initial refusal to implement wifi when the then minister asked them what the problem would be they replied (seriously!) that sure technology changes all the time we'd need to upgrade it every few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

It's typical Irish, not just Irish Rail, no respect for the rules. I was in hospital last week, big sign stating no phones. Who were the biggest users,,,doctors and nurses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

roundymac wrote: »
    It's typical Irish, not just Irish Rail, no respect for the rules. I was in hospital last week, big sign stating no phones. Who were the biggest users,,,doctors and nurses.

Would be inclined to agree with this.
    Even with a hefty fine and stats to back up the fact that it is unsafe, people still insist on chattering with phones in their hands while driving. Rules are ignored here unless there's a 100% chance of getting penalised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭trellheim

In fairness as mentioned above mobile phone convos are not an issue it is the absolute cockwombles who play music on their phones without earphones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

In my experience its part of their culture more often than not!

Advertisement