Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor arm advice

Options
  • 27-01-2018 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    So I have my desk, and monitor tucked in the corner which is perfect for a casual browse or email check, and leaves the main area of the desk free for me to write/read (by hand/book ) free.
    On occassion I need to type a document and would like to pull the monitor across at a nice height, so it would need to translate across by about 50cm ish.

Q: Is it easy/cheap to get an arm to do this? or should I think about working a different desk set up?

Any recomendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Seconded. I have two of them. Would never go back!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I've used both the cheaper options, and the more expensive ones. If you don't need readily available height adjustment, the cheap ones are completely worth the money. I won't buy a monitor without a VESA arm any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

jogdish wrote: »

Those are great as long as your desk isn't right up against the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

ED E wrote: »

Another thumbs up for this arm.
    Also have the dual version and its perfect! Highly recommend it.

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    Another thumbs up for this arm.
    Also have the dual version and its perfect! Highly recommend it.
    with that one, can you simple apply small hand pressure to move the monitor from one side to the other? or would you need to unscrew and re tighten etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

with that one, can you simple apply small hand pressure to move the monitor from one side to the other? or would you need to unscrew and re tighten etc?

I have two 27" mounted on it.
    You can adjust the tilt directions easily without any tools, just move by hand while sitting down. That's left/right up/down on the same height/axis.
    To adjust the height itself you do need to loose a nut on the back of the arm which will adjust the height of both monitors.

More expensive options with hydraulic arms can allow for a lot more dynamic independent adjustment but they are a lot more expensive.
    They are obviously better but if you are not going to be adjusting it often are a bit of waste.

I guess it all comes down to your personal setup and what way you plan on using the monitor.
    I definitely think its a great mounting arm if you just want two, same sized monitors on the same height. But if you wanted to mix and match, allow different people to use the same monitors or perhaps have one in portrait and one in landscape then a more expensive option is the better choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

ED E wrote: »
    Those are great as long as your desk isn't right up against the wall.

Yeh, I came in to ask this question. Does anyone have any reccomendations for arms for desks that are mounted to the wall, if that makes any sense??

The ones in ED E's first post only require 5mm between you and the wall - is the desk actually fixed to the wall or can you pull it out and push it back in again?

Edit: Just looked at mine - approx 10mm maybe. Failing that - fix them straight to the wall!

• Advertisement

Pic of mine attached. Excuse the mess!

I've ~25mm gap at the back of my desk as the feet hit the skirting board so it physically can't go the whole way.

If yours is right against the wall then shave off a few MM of the desk to accommodate the steel of the clamp, should only be like 6 or 8mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Ordered two of these a week ago as well. Sitting in a box at home waiting for me to get off my lazy arse and sort it out.

Today - Inside PC cable cleanup.
    Tomorrow - ??
    Friday - Desk build & cable management.

So arrived and all set up, yes the desk is next to the wall and this does not help, but thankfully the "elbow" of the arm and tuck into the window ledge. Overall very impressed super easy to orientate around.

One issue, my VGA cable is not long enough

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

So arrived and all set up, yes the desk is next to the wall and this does not help, but thankfully the "elbow" of the arm and tuck into the window ledge. Overall very impressed super easy to orientate around.

One issue, my VGA cable is not long enough

Any chance of posting some pics of this please?

more than happy to, will be Friday, and orientation requests?

See the attached, my hand is in the gap between desk and wall, and you can see the arm extend over the window area.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

See the attached, my hand is in the gap between desk and wall, and you can see the arm extend over the window area.

Brilliant stuff, thanks for posting the pics jogdish, its really helpful:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

RE cables: I ended up buying 3m cables - power, USB, and video - Long enough to cable manage through the arm (if yours has any place for cables. There's usually something), and around the desk, etc.

Nice Enterprise :D The arm deserves a new monitor to go on it though, its only right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement