Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

October 2018 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭firebird84

Jumping in from the September thread to agree with the posters who said being pregnant has made them more pro choice, I'm exactly the same. I was before but seeing the potential avenues unfold before you and the impact the 8th can have on you, not limited to abortions but actual healthcare for pregnant women, is horrifying.

Personally if I was to accidentally get pregnant with a third after knowing that two was my limit, and that a third would be a huge financial burden, I don't know if I could have an abortion but that's the thing about pro choice being the middle ground, it's not my place to enforce what I would do on other people.

I have a couple of very pro life people in my family and it's exactly what shortie said, pro birth. No concern for what happens after. If I was to ask them if they'd ever gone to a rally or done fundraising for families of disabled children or those in extreme poverty? The answer would be no. It's so black and white for them, abortion = bad and women can't control themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Cash_Q wrote:
    Another horrific story I read was of a woman whose diabetes led to blindness in pregnancy. Undergoing treatment which multiple doctors said was not harmful to her pregnancy, she was alerted by her maternity hospital that they were going to start giving her steroids to develop baby's lungs and perform an early section so her continued eyesight treatment couldn't harm the baby, despite multiple professionals defending the treatment as safe. They were essentially seizing control of her womb and disregarding her desire to safely carry baby to term. Read 'In her shoes' on Facebook. That's some scary sh1t.

That is horrendous. Where are the advocates for this woman?

The sad fact is that the 8th amendment is sorely letting down the pregnant women of Ireland.

Vulnerable Irish women are having abortions, they're just not having safe abortions. Many of these are planned and much wanted pregnancies, only coming to an end under heart breaking circumstances.

You just hope it'll never be you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Cash Q those are the exact stories that are upsetting me and making me fear for my own baby and yes they are the ones that are making me keep my pro choice stance.

It is the personal experience of seeing the little flicker of a heartbeat at 6 weeks and the struggle to get that far (with possible fertility issues) that has made me have a bit of a leaning to the pro life side however. I do not think abortion should be used as a form of birth control,I feel very strongly about that, yes there are children who maybe have not had great lives and could have been aborted as an alternative choice for the mother (that sounds wrong!) but there are so many people who have been adopted and are so glad they weren't aborted. Should the lack of abortion be an excuse for children growing up in less than ideal circumstances? That is all my opinion but then I completely question my opinion and whether I am right at all.

I do think it is very hard for staunch pro life supporters to voice their opinion without being thought of as a terrible person though so I do have sympathy for them.

Anyway as cash Q said, I have derailed this thread somewhat so apologies, I was more thinking of the negative effects the whole thing is having on my own mental health while being at this stage in a pregnancy rather than which side is right or wrong. It is definitely a tough time and this is adding an extra layer of worry into the mix!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

"in her shoes" applies to both sides, as far as I can see.
    The bottom line for me is that it is a personal choice and I don't want to hear from either side on their agenda.I will make my choice and yes, it is likely that choice will be coloured by my experiences with pregnancy.Because at the end of the day, it wouldn't be the students with catchy hashtags, or the people pushing leaflets of aborted foetuses at me that would have to make that decision for me or live with it, it's me.

I actually think the big positive thing to come out of the whole debate is the fact that politicians can vote personally and don't have to go with the party whip on it.I think that was a good decision, one that was only right and one that gave me hope that we could actually have a proper debate and referendum on this for once- that we might be growing up a bit as a country.

Now returning to the topic of pregnancy....:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

shesty wrote: »
    "in her shoes" applies to both sides, as far as I can see.
    The bottom line for me is that it is a personal choice and I don't want to hear from either side on their agenda.I will make my choice and yes, it is likely that choice will be coloured by my experiences with pregnancy.Because at the end of the day, it wouldn't be the students with catchy hashtags, or the people pushing leaflets of aborted foetuses at me that would have to make that decision for me or live with it, it's me.

I actually think the big positive thing to come out of the whole debate is the fact that politicians can vote personally and don't have to go with the party whip on it.I think that was a good decision, one that was only right and one that gave me hope that we could actually have a proper debate and referendum on this for once- that we might be growing up a bit as a country.

Now returning to the topic of pregnancy....:-)

Yes I am surprised my general rant about pregnancy and men didn't get more reaction :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

clacla82 wrote: »
    Yes I am surprised my general rant about pregnancy and men didn't get more reaction :)

I'm going to have a little rant about the man in my life. I was munching on a packet of crisps and he says 'now that you're pregnant should you not be eating healthier'. He nearly got the telly remote fired at his head. They are the only thing I can stomach at the moment.

lunamoon wrote: »
    I'm going to have a little rant about the man in my life. I was munching on a packet of crisps and he says 'now that you're pregnant should you not be eating healthier'. He nearly got the telly remote fired at his head. They are the only thing I can stomach at the moment.

RAGE!!!!!

A few weeks ago I had horrific heartburn and burped a couple of times - my OH looked over and said "Ammm...do you have a problem?"

Yes it's called PREGNANCY you chronically flatulent nitwit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Lol. I read something recently that was very funny and giving out about the men who named all the terminology in pregnancy. When you look at the terminology around pregnancy its truly awful (in my opinion) "Miscarriage", "spontaneous abortion" "inhospitable uterus"

And clacla82, I'm the chronically flatulent one in my house-he's horrified!!

RAGE!!!!!

A few weeks ago I had horrific heartburn and burped a couple of times - my OH looked over and said "Ammm...do you have a problem?"

I've got gas but it's coming out the other end :o I actually did feel a bit bad for him at one point because they are so smelly they are even making me want to vomit. But nothing he hasn't subjected me to!

I've got gas but it's coming out the other end :o I actually did feel a bit bad for him at one point because they are so smelly they are even making me want to vomit. But nothing he hasn't subjected me to!

Exactly, he drinks Guinness FFS!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

clacla82 wrote:
    RAGE!!!!!

You have some patience! They have no clue!

If I take even 2 sips of water, I get stomach spasms, hiccups, burping and general discomfort. My life wasn't always like this but at least there's an obvious reason for it at the moment!

This morning I'm feeling a lot less sick so taking advantage and eating anything that looks remotely appetising. Lost the run of myself over in Dunnes earlier buying goodies but god it feels so good to want to eat again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Extremely gassy both ends here :P

Hubby nicknamed our blob "babóg" from the start so when I farted a while back he said "that's babóg saying hello" LOL

Now I just say babóg wants to say hello and then he says hello back hahaha we are a bit crazy here :P

Ours has been called Lego for the last week because it was the size of a lego man. It's moved on to be the size of a poker chip now but calling them Poker doesn't sit right with me :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Well he's a brave man.......!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Staunchly Pro-choice here. What terrifies me is that if something goes wrong my country doesn’t have my back and i’ll either be sent home to wait and see or have to head to family in the UK.

We’re calling it Spawn for the time being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

When in pregnancy do they recommend you start focusing on your pelvic floor exercises? I hate doing them, but after pissing myself for weeks after my first baby, I’m going to put more effort into them this time!

When in pregnancy do they recommend you start focusing on your pelvic floor exercises? I hate doing them, but after pissing myself for weeks after my first baby, I’m going to put more effort into them this time!

No harm in doiNg them from the beginning caitriona!i wish i had been more diligent about them the first time round to be honest (take heed first time mothers!!!) I definitely suffer from stress incontinence now and wonder if i had done pelvic floor a bit more would i be okay now. I dont mind doing them its just remembering to do them! I am doing them now as i type, anything that reminds me and away i go!

Definitely. I have to do them regularly because when I get an asthma attack(cough varient) I ruin them completely

Ladies, I pooped!!! So freaking happy right now after two days of cramping. Not done yet but a damn sight better

First scan this morning and i’m 11+3, so not far off from GP’s estimate. Very excited!

All the talk of excess wind and bloatedness on here jinxed me! I was doing great, sailing along feeling grand then I was struck with major bloat yesterday evening, I looked 9 months pregnant and felt soooo uncomfortable! The maternity trousers/jeans were taken out and have been put on today for fear of further bloat. Everything fit fine until yesterday so I am definitely blaming this thread!!!! Sympathy bloat or something!

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    First scan this morning and i’m 11+3, so not far off from GP’s estimate. Very excited!

Thats awesome! I'm so nervous about my appointment tomorrow. All fingers and toes crossed.
    greenttc wrote: »
    All the talk of excess wind and bloatedness on here jinxed me! I was doing great, sailing along feeling grand then I was struck with major bloat yesterday evening, I looked 9 months pregnant and felt soooo uncomfortable! The maternity trousers/jeans were taken out and have been put on today for fear of further bloat. Everything fit fine until yesterday so I am definitely blaming this thread!!!! Sympathy bloat or something!

Oh no I'm sorry lol !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panda18

greenttc wrote: »

Oh I was the same at the weekend! I’ve never experience anything like it, my tummy looked all distorted and it was so sore. I’ve found now that it starts happening around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. The sickness has calmed down now though to maybe twice a week so that’s a bonus :D

Thats awesome! I'm so nervous about my appointment tomorrow. All fingers and toes crossed

It’ll all be good, I’m sure. I was up half the night fretting about this, all the worst case scenarios running around, but as soon as I saw that blob on the screen this morning I was so relieved I was in tears.

I have to say, the tiredness only really kicked in for me the past 2 weeks.... since I found out, I had been suffering from insomnia, well, waking up at 1/2/3am for a few hours then back asleep for a couple of hours...lately have managed to stretch it out to 6-6.5 hrs full sleep but POOPED every afternoon and have been napping every day. (Thank god I work for myself so can do that!) Again sympathies to you girls with toddlers!

The bloating is still there too. And my boobs ACHE and you can see my nipples from space.

Any old wives tales on symptoms and whether it's a girl or boy?? I listened to the Mother of Pod podcast with Alison Curtis and her theory is if you aren't that sick it's a girl - feel free to discuss/dismiss!

That's great Kylith! I am counting down the hours til my scan on Friday morning. Can't wait to tell everyone then too - it will make it seem more real!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Any old wives tales on symptoms and whether it's a girl or boy?? I listened to the Mother of Pod podcast with Alison Curtis and her theory is if you aren't that sick it's a girl - feel free to discuss

I wasn’t sick at all and I had a boy :)

bee06 wrote: »

Haha there you go! It's just fun to guess :P

The vivid dreams are back...last night my husband left me and started going out with someone else - woke up devastated - not cool!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Lovelemons

kylith wrote: »

Awe thats so exciting

bee06 wrote: »

I was sick as a dog on my two for 9months each and two girls.

Haha there you go! It's just fun to guess :P

The vivid dreams are back...last night my husband left me and started going out with someone else - woke up devastated - not cool!!!

Oh I've had this one too and I wasn't impressed with him. He got the cold shoulder for a while 😂

• Advertisement

You can do them anytime no need to be pregnant. We are regularly reminded in pilates.

Thats awesome! I'm so nervous about my appointment tomorrow. All fingers and toes crossed.

Oh no I'm sorry lol !! :D

Best of luck tomorrow I'm in tomorrow too.

Any one know how do I get all quotes in the same post?!

I had that dream too but in it I also won 500k on the lotto so I didn't care. I made him leave the house and I took a year off work to mind the baby. I woke up disappointed to see him still there :P

Lovelemons wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow I'm in tomorrow too.

Any one know how do I get all quotes in the same post?!

You can’t do it on mobile asfaik, on the desktop you tick the double quotes button on each post you want to reply to then hit ‘post reply’ at the bottom of the page.

This was not a pretty morning. Running leaving cert mock practicals with epic morning sickness. Literally sitting on the floor of the bathroom seeing stars while one of the students was waiting for me to come back.... Ringing SEC to pull out of officially examining after Easter. The stress this would cause is just not worth it. Plus can you imagine the poor junior cert candidates if/when I had to run out of the room gagging? 🙈. Here’s hoping it doesn’t last until 24 weeks like last time ☹️

Dear God. 45 minutes waiting for my history to be taken in the Coombe. Two people have gone in. There’s still four ahead of me. And now all the midwifes have left except one. There was three. FML

Dear God. 45 minutes waiting for my history to be taken in the Coombe. Two people have gone in. There’s still four ahead of me. And now all the midwifes have left except one. There was three. FML

Oh god I am not looking forward to experiencing similar in my appointment, its always the same isn't it. It was manageable first time round cause I was excited it being my first so was more tolerable, don't think I will be as patient this time round, would love if I had no appointments till the very end, they seem so pointless sometimes!

Hope you got seen and out of there quickly in the end!

• Advertisement

Nope. Still waiting!! Nightmare

I can totally empathise with you. I am sure you are sitting there contemplating going private just for speedier appointmentments!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Thank God I’m doing the domino scheme! Booking appt isn’t until the 11th when I’ll be 13 weeks. No scan. I’ve to bring the toddler with me though as nobody to mind him... should be fun!

So after the nausea being bloody awful from week 10-11, it seems to have eased up a little the last couple of days. I’m 11+1. I’m still taking my antisickness meds but only slightly nauseous right now. Hoping it’s not going to crank up again.

Anyone feeling less exhausted yet? I’m still in bed for 8pm and sleeping 10-12 hours a night! Thankfully the husband is taking the lead with our wee boy and getting up with him in the mornings or if he wakes in the night... he is even sleeping in the bedroom with him because his snoring stops me from sleeping!

There’s no way he could have slept in our room last night though with the awful smells I was producing... I’d forgotten how awful pregnancy farts can be! I’m even repulsing myself!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Do they just tell everyone to come at 9am? Is it worth arriving at 8.30 to be one of the first seen? Or even 8am? Hope you're not waiting too much longer!

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Do they just tell everyone to come at 9am? Is it worth arriving at 8.30 to be one of the first seen? Or even 8am? Hope you're not waiting too much longer!

I always get to appointments well before time in an attempt to beat the queue and be seen first (ish)

So wish I could have done domino scheme, it sounds amazing, I'm in a high risk clinic though so it's not an option for me even though there isn't really anything wrong at all apart from a feckin past medical history that has very little bearing on pregnancy really!!!

Caitriona, delighted to hear your husband is taking the lead with the wee man, mine is doing the same and it is such a relief, don't know how single mothers cope!

• Advertisement

Mirrorwall14 let us know how it goes! Fingers crossed you are seen sooner rather than later!

I am in with the consultant for the first appt this Friday at 8am and I am literally counting down the minutes. I think it will only seem real then, despite our early scans.
    Being self-employed has its pros - daytime naps every day for past fortnight - and cons - easily distracted by tiredness/sickness/anxiety/general baby stuff and thus less work done and less money made! Agh!

Done! Due the 14th October (one day behind where I thought I was). Baby was wriggling and jumping like a mad thing! Have to go in from 12 weeks if I spot which is going to be annoying because it’s still happening ever other day. GD Test booked (high BMI), anatomy scan June 6th and first consultant appointment for May 9th. It feels so unreal, I can’t believe it.

Not allowed be Midwife led unfortunately.

Also found out in my history appointment that they did officially diagnose me with pre eclampsia as sopposed to pregnancy hypertension. Didn’t know that

Done! Due the 14th October (one day behind where I thought I was). Baby was wriggling and jumping like a mad thing! Have to go in from 12 weeks if I spot which is going to be annoying because it’s still happening ever other day. GD Test booked (high BMI), anatomy scan June 6th and first consultant appointment for May 9th. It feels so unreal, I can’t believe it.

Not allowed be Midwife led unfortunately.

Also found out in my history appointment that they did officially diagnose me with pre eclampsia as sopposed to pregnancy hypertension. Didn’t know that

Great! Delighted everything is AOK despite the annoying spotting - you can relax so much more now and hopefully hopefully it will just stop.

I have been given due dates of 9/10/11 October so far, going to take the one I am given on Friday as the real one!

Congrats on your scan @mirrorwall14 glad everything is OK.

Had mine too all fine thankfully. Was a bit nervous there for a while. Everything else fine weight BP and sample. Not immune to rubella it turns out so hopefully there is none of that around.

Caitríona glad your dh is doing his fair share as he should although I know some people dont.hopefully you will turn the corner soon.

I am still exhausted utterly beaten down. Had 2 hours to kill around the shops earlier and I wasn't able for it. That is not like me at all. Hopefully the energy levels pick up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jodee08

Hi girls,
    I haven’t been on here in a few days so it’s taken me a while to catch up! Lots of interesting chat in here!
    We went for an early pregnancy scan today & got to see our little bean. It was brilliant! I’m 9 weeks 5 days and I couldn’t believe the amount of movement already! It still only has buds for arms & legs and they were flying about!
    I was a bit stressed as my sister had a missed miscarriage early last year so I didn’t want to get excited til I saw the little bean for myself!
    We’re in for my booking appointment when I’m 12 weeks so that’ll be my next appointment.
    It’s finally starting to feel a little more real, even despite constant nausea & exhaustion.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭belle_09

Hi all, I've been following for a while but didn't have the courage to post. I had a scan in Evie this morning and finally got to see baby. All looks good. Such a relief after a miscarriage last year. I'm 11+4 today 😀 nice to finally have the confidence to post here.

belle_09 wrote: »
    Hi all, I've been following for a while but didn't have the courage to post. I had a scan in Evie this morning and finally got to see baby. All looks good. Such a relief after a miscarriage last year. I'm 11+4 today �� nice to finally have the confidence to post here.

You are the same as me, same due date and a miscarriage last year! Congratulations, its amazing to feel that we are coming through the first trimester

belle_09 wrote: »
    Hi all, I've been following for a while but didn't have the courage to post. I had a scan in Evie this morning and finally got to see baby. All looks good. Such a relief after a miscarriage last year. I'm 11+4 today �� nice to finally have the confidence to post here.

Congrats! I had a scan in Evie too. They were so nice and helpful.

You are the same as me, same due date and a miscarriage last year! Congratulations, its amazing to feel that we are coming through the first trimester
    Delighted you are doing OK, I've been reading your posts. My first two pregnancies were like yours with regular spotting and all was well. It's just beyond scary when you see it. Very hard to relax. It feels great to be at this stage now.

Congrats! I had a scan in Evie too. They were so nice and helpful.
    I was thrilled with the scan. They were beyond lovely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement