Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

October 2018 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Pants, I was hoping to ask about eligibility for the Domino scheme too, but I think there may be a potential thyroid issue. Won't get my hopes up so.

My thyroid issue had been diagnosed since July 2016, long before pregnancy and was only recently gotten under control. You might be ok and not have an issue at all..did they suspect you do? Or did your bloods show you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Got my letter to say I'm rhesus negative though I knew already. Haven't heard anything on any of the other bloods so presumably the rest are all ok.

Haven't thrown up today yet. Been nauseous but manageable so far

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Cash_Q wrote: »
    My thyroid issue had been diagnosed since July 2016, long before pregnancy and was only recently gotten under control. You might be ok and not have an issue at all..did they suspect you do? Or did your bloods show you do?

Might be nothing at all, just my doc suggested I get it checked at my booking appointment as I have an occasional hand tremor. They took blood when I was in getting rehydrated on Monday, but the test results weren't back the same day. I guess I'll find out whenever I get my booking appointment.

Might be nothing at all, just my doc suggested I get it checked at my booking appointment as I have an occasional hand tremor. They took blood when I was in getting rehydrated on Monday, but the test results weren't back the same day. I guess I'll find out whenever I get my booking appointment.

Oh right ok, well hopefully you'll be clear but if not they'll just put you on eltroxin which I've been on since diagnosis and have had no side effects at all. My dose was upped when I got pregnant and the midwife yesterday said that it'll probably go all over the place with the pregnancy but once they're monitoring me I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

Haven't been on in a while, my thoughts to all you still nauseous and getting sick!! No joke.

I might divorce my husband before I ever pop this baby out though.... they literally just don't get it. He has no tolerance for me being a bit snappy or emotional, just thinks I am being "difficult" when my mind is a total rollercoaster, one minute I am on top of the world the next I am panicking or worrying or stressing over something. Anyone else a bit over-emotional??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

You have no idea how jealous I’ve been of you on both of our pregnancies!!!

Although wasn’t jealous of the spd... yikes

I know how lucky I am to get away without the puking twice now! That feeling right before you throw up has to be one of the worst feelings on the world.

Really hoping the spd doesn't appear this time although if it does I know exactly the physio I need to tackle it so not too worried if i do get it! Hope I am not speaking too soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 holly78

Hi all, I have been requested by my lecture to get involved in a discussion around the kidneys. I see that this board is pregnant women, First of all congratulations to you all. I am wondering if any of ye would like to share if ye have issues with UTI's or Kidney infections? many thanks

holly78 wrote:
    Hi all, I have been requested by my lecture to get involved in a discussion around the kidneys. I see that this board is pregnant women, First of all congratulations to you all. I am wondering if any of ye would like to share if ye have issues with UTI's or Kidney infections? many thanks

Can't help you in afraid but this thread is one within a subforum on Pregnancy. If you create a thread in the Pregnancy forum itself you might get more responses :)

clacla82 wrote:
    Anyone else a bit over-emotional??

I am totally and utterly emotional about the least thing. Welling up for absolutely no reason last night. I can fly into the biggest rage at the slightest thing too. Luckily hubby hasn't been at the brunt of it as he is very sensitive and would take it personally.

I am totally and utterly emotional about the least thing. Welling up for absolutely no reason last night. I can fly into the biggest rage at the slightest thing too. Luckily hubby hasn't been at the brunt of it as he is very sensitive and would take it personally.

I think that's what's exactly happening to me. He does shift work and I work from home so we see a lot of each other. He is taking it very personally. I have tried to explain that I can't really control how I am feeling but I reckon he just thinks I am using it as an excuse to be a b***h :(

• Advertisement

clacla82 wrote:
    I think that's what's exactly happening to me. He does shift work and I work from home so we see a lot of each other. He is taking it very personally. I have tried to explain that I can't really control how I am feeling but I reckon he just thinks I am using it as an excuse to be a b***h

Is this your first? If not he should know better. If it is your first, maybe he needs another guy to have a word with him, someone with a young baby that can attest that it's totally normal and not your fault. Annoying as it is, objective advice is usually taken more seriously.

Is this your first? If not he should know better. If it is your first, maybe he needs another guy to have a word with him, someone with a young baby that can attest that it's totally normal and not your fault. Annoying as it is, objective advice is usually taken more seriously.

It's our first and while we both are clueless, at least I am reading the apps, the websites, and the books so I know a bit more about what's going on or at least supposed to be going on. I thought it was obvious that pregnant women are hormonal and he would know that but another big row last night when I pointed out it had been days since he asked me how I was feeling or sleeping. I wonder who I could get to say it to him, my dad would be good only that he would probably shoot him first...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm kind of getting it the other way. I feel awful reading about all of ye having morning sickness and mood swings when, tbh, my only real symptom is not getting my period. Himself can't figure why I'm getting worked up about not being sick and moody, but it means there's a whole disconnect in my brain; I just don't feel pregnant and he can't fathom it. I don't even have a growing belly as proof because I've a wobbly tummy anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

I'm the exact same Kylith. I'm just a bit chunkier and tired. No MS or mood swings really.

I was puking loads last night and my husband asked what do I think might be causing it :) they are just not tuned into it the same as us! I replied "well the Pregnancy is probably something to do with it" and he seemed surprised lol. I haven't been sick bar one other time at work but it's funny it didn't enter his head that that would make me puke.

My belly is starting to feel different, I know you can't feel movement and kicks for a long time yet but it does feel like stuff is happening down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

Hi girls, has anyone booked in for their antenatal classes yet? The midwife told me at the booking app to book them as sooon as possible! i just sent the forms off today.. not back in hospital until 24th of April for my 1st consultant visit, did anyone get a scan at the consultant visit?

Orange369 wrote:
    Hi girls, has anyone booked in for their antenatal classes yet? The midwife told me at the booking app to book them as sooon as possible! i just sent the forms off today.. not back in hospital until 24th of April for my 1st consultant visit, did anyone get a scan at the consultant visit?

Midwife also told me to book mine soon but I haven't given it a second thought yet to be honest! My booking appt was Wed 4th with just midwife doing bloods etc, I've my dating scan next Wed 11th. She said I should meet consultant around 18weeks so I suppose mid May and I've no idea if I'll have a scan then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I’m doing domino scheme so no consultant if all goes to plan

I did antenatal classes last time and found them a waste of time, so am not keen on doing them again

Yeah I would prefer the domino scheme and see the midwofe instead but I have high blood pressure so I think the consultant will decide who is looking after me after my first appointment! Just wondering do you get scanned at the consultant app :/

• Advertisement

Orange369 wrote: »
    Yeah I would prefer the domino scheme and see the midwofe instead but I have high blood pressure so I think the consultant will decide who is looking after me after my first appointment! Just wondering do you get scanned at the consultant app :/

From what I’ve heard, in holles st they usually do a very quick scan in consultants clinic if you’re a public patient, but literally a minute or two - not a proper dating scan.

It may be different if you’ve various risk factors though.

Last time I was a public patient in a normal hospital clinic, but my booking appt was with a midwife in the pearse street clinic and I didn’t get a scan. She did listen to the heartbeat with a Doppler though.

Get a very quick ultrasound to check the heartbeat with the consultants/consultants team on public in the Coombe anyways last time out. Hopefully the same again this time. Any issues they’ll refer you for ‘proper’ scans

Thanks girls! Even a 30 second scan would do me! just to check heartbeat and that as you said

Orange369 wrote: »
    Thanks girls! Even a 30 second scan would do me! just to check heartbeat and that as you said

Yeah I got that with my first (though that was four years ago!). It was very reassuring. And so many of my appointments were in the hospital rather than the GP I rarely had doppler checks

Any interesting cravings, girls?

So far, I’m craving the same as my last pregnancy, although the cravings aren’t as strong - orange juice and fresh fruit. I could drink OJ by the gallon - I drank four glasses in a row the other day and had to stop myself drinking more.

Randomly, I’m also craving sweetcorn. And I ordered a steak in a restaurant the other day, to the shock of my family. They’ve never in 30 years seen me order a steak before!

Totally loving sweet corn at the mo caitriona! But it might be cause its wee man's current favourite food and it is one thing that actually smells appealing to me.

Otherwise I am same as last pregnancy too and mostly am turned off everything especially things with strong flavours so I am living on pasta and apples and plain bagels and cereal ... That kinda thing. Totally turned off chocolate which I usually LOVE! And I can hardly eat anything in sitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

clacla82 wrote: »
    It's our first and while we both are clueless, at least I am reading the apps, the websites, and the books so I know a bit more about what's going on or at least supposed to be going on. I thought it was obvious that pregnant women are hormonal and he would know that but another big row last night when I pointed out it had been days since he asked me how I was feeling or sleeping. I wonder who I could get to say it to him, my dad would be good only that he would probably shoot him first...

Could you send him some links to read explaining what’s happening to your body?

I actually completely lost it once when my husband came home from work and asked me how I was feeling! I think I was around 30 weeks and I was so sick of everyone asking me all the time and I felt like it was just something they were saying rather than actually caring so when he asked I just snapped and started bawling crying! He didn’t know what to do because it was just so irrational (totally not me).

bee06 wrote: »
    Could you send him some links to read explaining what’s happening to your body?

I actually completely lost it once when my husband came home from work and asked me how I was feeling! I think I was around 30 weeks and I was so sick of everyone asking me all the time and I felt like it was just something they were saying rather than actually caring so when he asked I just snapped and started bawling crying! He didn’t know what to do because it was just so irrational (totally not me).

I ended up throwing the "What to Expect" book at him (that I hadn't even opened) and telling him to read the expectant father chapter. He actually came upstairs to apologise! Just clueless. Was at a aweding over the weekend and all the guys were joking about pregnant wives and hormones and saying just keep her happy so I think he is finally getting the picture. I feel good the last couple of days though. no napping or anything, please God second trimester burst of energy is here! Lasted til 2am at the wedding!

I did have not one but two bagels today for breakfast - I have gone past cravings to serious hunger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Lovelemons

I’m doing domino scheme so no consultant if all goes to plan

I did antenatal classes last time and found them a waste of time, so am not keen on doing them again

We did a quick private class the first time and same as that not doing anymore.

clacla82 wrote: »
    I ended up throwing the "What to Expect" book at him (that I hadn't even opened) and telling him to read the expectant father chapter. He actually came upstairs to apologise! Just clueless. Was at a aweding over the weekend and all the guys were joking about pregnant wives and hormones and saying just keep her happy so I think he is finally getting the picture. I feel good the last couple of days though. no napping or anything, please God second trimester burst of energy is here! Lasted til 2am at the wedding!

I did have not one but two bagels today for breakfast - I have gone past cravings to serious hunger

I'm glad he's on the same page now. Some of them really are clueless.

How is everyone feeling now?
    Best of luck to those With scans this week.

I ventured to mothercare yesterday for a pair of black skinny jeans and had a little browse while I was there.

• Advertisement

Still throwing up once a day or so but I think I'm doing a bit better.

I've got like 4 different pairs of maternity jeans that are falling down and my own jeans which don't fit anymore. Basically all of my clothes are uncomfortable right now lol

On the plus side, no more bleeding since the anti D and I did a ton of work this weekend including painting floors and everything!

So glad to hear the spotting has settled for you. Hopefully the vomiting will soon too!

No vomiting for me thanks to Cariban, but I’m still super nauseous 24/7 and if anything it’s worse in the last week or two. It’s really frustrating. I’m hoping that it’ll go away around 15/16 weeks with the help of Cariban as that’s what it did last time, then went away completely by 22 weeks and I could stop paying a small fortune for those feckin pills!

Still exhausted but a little less so. Hoping that’ll go within the next few weeks.

Does anyone feel like their organs are moving around when they cough or sneeze?! I feel sharp pains in my abdomen when I do, which only last a second. I sometimes get it when walking too. Probably round ligament pain.

Trying to conceal my burgeoning belly in work with loose tops. 13 weeks tomorrow and have booking appointment on Wednesday. No scan though.

Yes caitriona I get those sharp shooting pains if I move suddenly or cough or sneeze, I figure they happen less if I keep my bladder empty though!

I am the same with the bump cover up and the need for maternity jeans/trousers it's not long since I am out my maternity clothes from last time but i am not liking what I have, can only wear over bump jeans cause everything else falls down at all stages of pregnancy and I realise now that there was only one pair I really liked and I got them in m and s and they don't seem to have much in the way of maternity clothes at all now, very annoying. I tried h and m, new look, penneys and next last time and still have all those jeans I bought at home (such a waste) but hate them all. Trousers all fit horribley, look like I am wearing bags on my legs but will have to endure for the few months.

I am almost 15 weeks now, have yet to tell work but am just waiting on a change in my job to be announced officially so that my upcoming leave doesn't influence decisions. Wonder how long I can wait before it is bad that I haven't already told them!!!??

Ante Natal classes, I did them over a few weeks on Friday afternoons in holles Street and found them fairly good. The hospital tour was good so you knew where you were going and what to expect. Also you are entitled to take leave from work for them so why not do them I thought.

I also did a gentle birth workshop which I found very good, the "hypno birthing" thing was a load of mumbo jumbo to me even though I was eager to try it, I found it useless but the course is a lot more than that and was very informative. Also found it was a great education for my husband!

Won't do any classes this time round, it's far too soon since the last time to need it and actually going through labour and birth is a better education than any class!!!

Still throwing up once a day or so but I think I'm doing a bit better.

I've got like 4 different pairs of maternity jeans that are falling down and my own jeans which don't fit anymore. Basically all of my clothes are uncomfortable right now lol

On the plus side, no more bleeding since the anti D and I did a ton of work this weekend including painting floors and everything!

I feel your pain mirror. I had 3 good days last week and thought the vomiting was gone but it was back with a vengeance last night and this morning. Have felt OK since though so at least something is staying in.

I have three pairs of jeans that fit ish, one will prob last another week and the other two are a bit big ill grow into them maybe. I bought one top on asos not maternity but oversized so will wear with a belt and a pair of leggings. I seriously must go shopping soon or I'll be wearing the same outfit everyday. No major bump but it is coming. Dressing for this in between stage is hard work and I don't have the energy for it.

My leg and hip muscles are also pretty tired. Got spd the last time so trying to ward it off but I'm dreading it.

Sorry pregnancy moan!

Did any one find out boy or girl yet? Any twins?

Lovelemons wrote: »
    I feel your pain mirror. I had 3 good days last week and thought the vomiting was gone but it was back with a vengeance last night and this morning. Have felt OK since though so at least something is staying in.

I have three pairs of jeans that fit ish, one will prob last another week and the other two are a bit big ill grow into them maybe. I bought one top on asos not maternity but oversized so will wear with a belt and a pair of leggings. I seriously must go shopping soon or I'll be wearing the same outfit everyday. No major bump but it is coming. Dressing for this in between stage is hard work and I don't have the energy for it.

My leg and hip muscles are also pretty tired. Got spd the last time so trying to ward it off but I'm dreading it.

Sorry pregnancy moan!

Oh god, another SPD survivor! Me and greenttc were crippled with it the last time and doing mad things like sleeping inside binbags (I still laugh when I think of you doing that, green!), so please God we all avoid it this time. And if not, there’ll be plenty of sympathy to be found in this thread!

Thank god no SPD here but had horrible carpel tunnel and I’m already waking up with dead fingers which I’m seriously unimpressed by. Last time it was about 20 weeks when it started. By the time I gave birth I couldn’t open anything and couldn’t even do the buttons on my lads cardigans initially. Took a few weeks to resolve fully but there still a little weakness in the left

Oh and I’ve applied for the standard refresher, the physio refresher and the gentle/Hypno birthing one. I’ll be in the summer holidays so won’t need time off for them and I did find the physio one in particular useful last time. Oh and my sis says there have been some changes to induction protocol so she found it good

Thank god no SPD here but had horrible carpel tunnel and I’m already waking up with dead fingers which I’m seriously unimpressed by. Last time it was about 20 weeks when it started. By the time I gave birth I couldn’t open anything and couldn’t even do the buttons on my lads cardigans initially. Took a few weeks to resolve fully but there still a little weakness in the left

There's so many side effects no one tells us about

• Advertisement

greenttc wrote: »
    Yes caitriona I get those sharp shooting pains if I move suddenly or cough or sneeze, I figure they happen less if I keep my bladder empty though!

I am the same with the bump cover up and the need for maternity jeans/trousers it's not long since I am out my maternity clothes from last time but i am not liking what I have, can only wear over bump jeans cause everything else falls down at all stages of pregnancy and I realise now that there was only one pair I really liked and I got them in m and s and they don't seem to have much in the way of maternity clothes at all now, very annoying. I tried h and m, new look, penneys and next last time and still have all those jeans I bought at home (such a waste) but hate them all. Trousers all fit horribley, look like I am wearing bags on my legs but will have to endure for the few months.

I am almost 15 weeks now, have yet to tell work but am just waiting on a change in my job to be announced officially so that my upcoming leave doesn't influence decisions. Wonder how long I can wait before it is bad that I haven't already told them!!!??

I wonder are those sharp pains the start of spd. I remember after my baby was born coughing and sneezing was awful not for the pelvic floor control but for the pain it was the bones jarring.

Oh god, another SPD survivor! Me and greenttc were crippled with it the last time and doing mad things like sleeping inside binbags (I still laugh when I think of you doing that, green!), so please God we all avoid it this time. And if not, there’ll be plenty of sympathy to be found in this thread!

I think spd is the reason I waited so long to ttc this baby. Do tell about the bin bags?! Sounds interesting.
    I was on to my physio nearly before the pregnancy was confirmed to try avoid it.

Ha ha, it worked in theory but the crinkly noise kept me awake! I had forgotten I tried that, your making me laugh remembering now!!! Desperate measures!!

In the end I got a thing called a snoozle, very expensive for what it is bit worth every penny and I have kept it for this time, its kinda like a slippy sheet, Google it, I HIGHLY recommend it!

Ah yes the good old Snoozle. Lovelemons, it’s basically a silky sheet you put beneath your bum in bed which makes rolling over less painful. I’m gonna try silk pyjamas this time too if it comes back.

greenttc wrote: »
    Ha ha, it worked in theory but the crinkly noise kept me awake! I had forgotten I tried that, your making me laugh remembering now!!! Desperate measures!!

In the end I got a thing called a snoozle, very expensive for what it is bit worth every penny and I have kept it for this time, its kinda like a slippy sheet, Google it, I HIGHLY recommend it!

Snooze looks interesting might have to invest. Read somewhere else that silk/satin sheets and same pj's would help slide too. But the snoozle might work out cheaper. And it wouldn't have to be on the hubby side of the bed. Ha

Never heard of anyone using bin liners.

SPD sounds like something i’m starting to experience; stabbing pain in my right buttock, hip pain when walking or going upstairs. Yay. And if it is then this is only the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panda18

kylith wrote: »
    SPD sounds like something i’m starting to experience; stabbing pain in my right buttock, hip pain when walking or going upstairs. Yay. And if it is then this is only the start.

Eek I’ve been getting that too. I’ve gone to the physio but it hasn’t really helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panda18

Went for my booking appointment yesterday and all went well thankfully. I’ve been accepted into the MLU which sounds great so hopefully I stay eligible.
    My scan is showing I’ve an earlier due date than expected, I was the 14th of October and the new date is the 5th :)

How’s everyones bumps coming on? I don’t seem to have one yet although in the afternoon I look 6 months with the impressive bloating!

No bump here yet, but that’s cos i’m fat anyway :D

• Advertisement

Definitely starting to show! If I wear a tight top it’s obvious, but I’m trying to hide it in work so am wearing loose blouses. Jeans are barely buttoning so I’m gonna get the maternity wear out of the attic at the weekend.

It’s mad how much sooner everything happens on your second. I took weekly bump pics on my first and I’m around the size I was at 17 weeks then. I’m only 13 now. I’ve also started to feel some movement!!! Which is crazy because I didn’t feel it until 21 weeks last time. I think it’s partly because I know what to look out for this time, and partly because my womb is all baggy from the last pregnancy, which was less than a year before this one started!

Advertisement