Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

October 2018 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

greenttc wrote:
    I think there is supposed to be a growth spurt around now for the next few weeks, so said my app anyway!

What app are you using? I have 5 and I was totally addicted to them for first 8 weeks or so but now just check in at the start of a new week. I have The Bump, What to Expect, Ovia, Pregnancy Centre and one just called 'Pregnancy'

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

I have the bump app too I like the daily facts! I have been getting a few pains too, especially when I sneeze omg it hurts! Has anyone got nose bleeds? I have 2, another in the shower this morning.. meeting the consultant next Tuesday so kind of nervous and excited for that

I get a little pain if I sneeze yeah! I'm in bed after a 2 hour nap on the couch I feel so glad to be pregnant so I can't get away with it lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I've been getting cramps on and off, particularly if I'm not careful rolling over at night. But (TMI) I FINALLY pooped. It has been a loooong week. I went from being one way or the other for a couple of weeks to literally nothing despite daily lactulose. I'm so frigging comfortable lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Cash_Q wrote: »
    I get a little pain if I sneeze yeah! I'm in bed after a 2 hour nap on the couch I feel so glad to be pregnant so I can't get away with it lol

Glad it’s not just me getting this.

I know pregnancy isn’t a cake walk, but didn’t know it woild be this uncomfortable this early on

Kylith I totally agree. I already feel so heavy and as though I'm huge and I get pains with digesting food and liquid out of nowhere. The fatigue is the killer though. I've had an underactive thyroid for two years so it's not unlike that feeling but I get this wave of exhaustion wash over me in the middle of work and it's all I can do to stop myself lying on the ground.

I find it lovely to have people so interested and excited but the unsolicited advice is pi$$ing me off.

I teach in a special school and I have a student who has quite challenging behaviour. I adore this student and of course embrace all the positives about him, but he deliberately hits and kicks kids and staff throughout the day.

A colleague told me "not to get into that headspace just enjoy the pregnancy"
    Eh yes I am enjoying the pregnancy thanks very much and feel so lucky and grateful to be expecting, but that does not remove the very real danger that he could hurt me and the baby. He kicked our SNA in the stomach a few days before I discovered I'm pregnant. He has kicked the changing room door at swimming closed on my body twice in the past few weeks.

I stay out of his way as much as I can and my SNA is amazing and very much looking out for me, but it really annoyed me when this colleague said this. She clearly has no idea what he's capable of to suggest I need to change my headspace about It!

Rant over sorry ladies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Felt some more movement this morning at 14+4. I had felt it loads one morning at 13 weeks but hasn’t noticed anything since. So lovely!

I actually keep forgetting I’m pregnant. Still nauseous but it’s a lot better (although I’m still taking Cariban), and my exhaustion has started to ease up in the last few days too.

On my first, all I thought about all day every day was the pregnancy but this one keeps slipping my mind. I also forget to check those apps, whereas before I was checking in a few times a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Felt some more movement this morning at 14+4. I had felt it loads one morning at 13 weeks but hasn’t noticed anything since. So lovely!

I actually keep forgetting I’m pregnant. Still nauseous but it’s a lot better (although I’m still taking Cariban), and my exhaustion has started to ease up in the last few days too.

On my first, all I thought about all day every day was the pregnancy but this one keeps slipping my mind. I also forget to check those apps, whereas before I was checking in a few times a day.

I am the same caitriona, despite the visible bump and extreme tiredness I definitely don't think about being pregnant or remember sometimes! I used to check the apps daily and eagerly waited for my "turn over day" when the baby was another week older so I could see what sized fruit they were compared to. Couldn't tell you what size it is now but I do get alerts about once a week and give them a read. It's mad isn't it but in a way its better, more relaxed and time is going a bit faster as I am not willing it along.

It must be the sun cause today is the first morning where I don't feel totally wrecked, its brilliant, defo going for a few laps of the park today!! Sunshine is transformative!

I decided to just go on and get it checked out today. I know it’s probably nothing but if I don’t go check I’ll fret myself into a state. I’ve my mum visiting later and she’s not a reassuring person.

I still check Ovia every day. Mostly so I can tell Himself about meconium or that the baby is sitting in a sack of its own pee :D

kylith wrote: »
    I decided to just go on and get it checked out today. I know it’s probably nothing but if I don’t go check I’ll fret myself into a state. I’ve my mum visiting later and she’s not a reassuring person.

Good to go get things checked when it is playing on your mind, you will be far more relaxed to hear everything is okay from a doctor or midwife.

I think you will be fine though, I haven't gotten it to much this time but I couldnt make any sudden movements at all without getting a sharp shooting pain in my lower tummy the last time I was pregnant and forget about bending over or putting on socks without my tummy muscles spasming big time. It was just everything stretching and making room, your body has never had to do anything like this before so no wonder it is doing what it is. I think I am so stretched out this time that I just don't feel it as often but definitely do get it from time to time.

It's funny how quickly mothers forget what it was like isn't it, it's such a major life event you think you could never forget every second. Suppose it has been maybe about 30 years since your mother went through it though so I suppose she can be excused!!

• Advertisement

Yeah, sitting hurts, standing hurts, lying down hurts, as does breathing, laughing, coughing, and the less said about sneezing the better. I know it’s probably grand and just things stretching but if I don’t go and it’s _not_ grand, I guess that’s the worry.

My mum would either berate me for not getting it checked or for worrying about it so I couldn’t really win with her, lol. It’s been over 35 years since she had a baby, and nearly 50 years since her first, so she’s not going to remember it.

All ok anyway. The midwife was very understanding of why I was concerned. She said my tummy was quite tender, but other than that everything’s ok. Himself was very jealous that I got scanned without him being there: good heartbeat, plenty fluid, lots of movement. So I’m sore, but happy and reassured.

All ok anyway. The midwife was very understanding of why I was concerned. She said my tummy was quite tender, but other than that everything’s ok. Himself was very jealous that I got scanned without him being there: good heartbeat, plenty fluid, lots of movement. So I’m sore, but happy and reassured.

That’s great!

Great news and great peace of mind for you. It's very hard to know what is normal and what is not and everyone is so different!

Great peace of mind Kylith, you're dead right to go in. Great to have another scan too :)

Totally! So amazing to see the little heart beating away and the little thing squirming. I suppose I should feel it soon.

I’d rather waste 10 minutes of their time than ignore something and silently worry about it, that’s how my dad nearly died of pneumonia. And hooray for everything being fine!

Serious unwell feeling this afternoon, super weak. Got a 30 minute nap and feeling more human but not sure what it was. Possibly BP coz I had seen stars earlier. Must get the AA batteries for my monitor out. Crossing all fingers and toes for no HBP this time around

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Are you in second trimester mirrorwall?I found that on my second and third pregnancies particularly in second trimester.Used to get it after breakfast....awful spinning feeling, weak wobbly slightly sick, and just yuck.I remember lying on the couch after breakfast at weekends with my second pregnancy, trying to amuse a toddler.This time round I was a bit more savvy to it!Slightly low BP in my case, at it's worst in the second trimester.Small meals helped a lot, with low carbs (so ie I have a bowl of rice krispies for brekkie, and two hours later, I'll have toast and coffee!) And I definitely found eating a Sunday roast dinner has been out of the question.....causes the same effect and leaves me miserable all Sunday afternoons It's really unpleasant.It has eased a lot since 30 weeks but was at it's worst about 16-26 weeks I'd say.

shesty wrote: »
    Are you in second trimester mirrorwall?I found that on my second and third pregnancies particularly in second trimester.Used to get it after breakfast....awful spinning feeling, weak wobbly slightly sick, and just yuck.I remember lying on the couch after breakfast at weekends with my second pregnancy, trying to amuse a toddler.This time round I was a bit more savvy to it!Slightly low BP in my case, at it's worst in the second trimester.Small meals helped a lot, with low carbs (so ie I have a bowl of rice krispies for brekkie, and two hours later, I'll have toast and coffee!) And I definitely found eating a Sunday roast dinner has been out of the question.....causes the same effect and leaves me miserable all Sunday afternoons It's really unpleasant.It has eased a lot since 30 weeks but was at it's worst about 16-26 weeks I'd say.

Yeah 15 weeks tomorrow. That actually sounds about right. I think I’m going to need to set some food alarms and keep an eye on it. Not fun!

On a separate note, my file arrived from the Coombe on Thursday and I’ve been having a good read. My BP really did stabilise well on labetalol which is good to remember. My last gel was much later than I recall (at least according to my notes) at 11pm. The notes say they thought ARM may be possible by morning which is not what I was told. By 230 I requested paracetamol for sporadic cramps. By 5 I was contracting 1:2 and requesting painkiller, fully effaced and by 530 he was having reduced variability and shallow decels which is when the fun seems to have started.

That actually reassured me a lot, closer to the gel means it is likely a contributer. Also by 430 it was really obvious I was contracting like mad which means nearly a 2.5hr run in to birth which is longer than I originally thought. Looking forward to my reflection last Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Jutton

Hey all, late joiner here from Nov group, had my booking appointment and scan this week. Due date now changed to 28th Oct. Telling family today. Don't know why but I'm nervous about telling my mum.

I’m sure they’ll all be delighted for you!

welcome Jutton, I’m sure everyone will be delighted!!

Ladies, has anyone looked at the prepacked labour bags? Holy moly they are expensive!! Back to making my own I think.

In other news, my OH has just broken his leg 🙈

Oh no mirrorwall, your poor husband! Thank god it’s now though and not in six months time - can you imagine?!

I remember it costing a fortune to pack all the bits for my hospital bag last time and it taking forever so maybe it would be worth it!

I’ve had a tough day in work finished with an argument with a customer who was just impossible. Expecting a complaint from him to head office, but there are some people you just can’t reason with.

Oh no mirrorwall, your poor husband! Thank god it’s now though and not in six months time - can you imagine?!

I remember it costing a fortune to pack all the bits for my hospital bag last time and it taking forever so maybe it would be worth it!

I’ve had a tough day in work finished with an argument with a customer who was just impossible. Expecting a complaint from him to head office, but there are some people you just can’t reason with.

Oh no, there's nothing worse than arguments with people who won't listen. Hugs for you.

Maybe. I don't remember it being over 100e though which loads of them seem to. I think I'm going to rob their list for now and see how I do

Welcome Jutton! I understand the nerves, my mam can be a bit underwhelmed/disinterested so I was pleasantly surprised with her reaction to our news but I was apprehensive.

Oh Mirrorwall14 what a nightmare! You'll be busy with your little one and him while he recovers, hope you don't push yourself too hard.

Caitriona there is nothing worse, at least be glad the shift is over and fingers crossed head office will side with you!

15weeks today and really just cannot believe it. Gotten really excited this weekend about the reality of the baby coming, think I'm finally losing the nerves. My bump is huge so I'm feeling really pregnant which I love :)

• Advertisement

15 weeks here too. Time seems to be faster this pregnancy. I’m probably just busier.

He’s ok but looks like minimum of 4-6 weeks crutches depending on what the consultation shows. It’ll be great craic.... not!!

On another note, gave in and remeasured for bras because I have to go up now. I’m down two back sizes and up FOUR, yes FOUR cup sizes?! Wtf body??!

On another note, gave in and remeasured for bras because I have to go up now. I’m down two back sizes and up FOUR, yes FOUR cup sizes?! Wtf body??!

Omg what!! LOL!! I went up a back and a cup size and just bought a 3 pack of nursing bras from Penneys. I can't justify spending 20minimum on one bra in M&S when it isn't going to last me. At least the Penneys ones have a bit of growing space and even if I out grow them they were a good price for 3

Are anyone else's nipples gone gigantic? Mine were always big but they are definitely growing bigger and getting darker in colour.

Very normal! Newborns have very poor eyesight so the larger and darker nipples make it easier for them to find the goods!

Who here is planning to breastfeed? I only stopped feeding my first a couple of months ago and it was a wonderful experience. Can’t wait to start again!

I’m planning to. My mum has been advising me to start toughening them up.

Very normal! Newborns have very poor eyesight so the larger and darker nipples make it easier for them to find the goods!

Who here is planning to breastfeed? I only stopped feeding my first a couple of months ago and it was a wonderful experience. Can’t wait to start again!

I am going to give it a go again, only managed just over four months the last time before he rejected me. But it was without exception the hardest thing I have done in my life and in my mind made those first few months very very tough for me as I had so many issues. That said I will do it again as I know it is best for baby but I will not be so tough in myself this time round and if it is not working I will just go to bottle.

I hate the whole breastfeeding debate to be honest, the enormous guilt I felt when I stopped at four months was awful and it was down to society. Yes of course it is wonderful and healthy and giving babies a great start in life and everyone should seriously consider it and BE GIVEN PROPER SUPPORT BEFORE AND DURING breastfeeding but people have to know its okay to go with formula too. Formula is not devil's food and is also good for your baby. Breastfeeding is not successful and easy for everyone. I am very jealous of those it works for though!!!

None of that rant is directed at you caitriona by the way! I am jealous if you and how successful you were! Hope its like that for me second time round but my hopes are not high.

Kylith what methods of toughening is your mother suggesting??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

As someone who ended up FF my first and successfully BF my next two can I just give a bit of advice....if you want to breastfeed getting your support and information in place during pregnancy is key. I highly recommend doing a BF prep class by a IBCLC, get yourself the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. Read Timeline of a breastfed baby so you know what to expect. Then in hospital don’t be afraid to ring the bell every time you need help with latch. Stay away from bottles in the early days as it messes with supply and can cause nipple confusion. Keep baby skin to skin as much as possible. I did hours every day. The Breast Angels silver cups are the best - no need for multi Mam compresses or lanolin.

Oh and no need to toughen up your nipples! That’s an old fashioned thing but not necessary.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I have no clue how one would go about toughening up one's nipples!!!!!The mind boggles!
    Interesting fact on why they are bigger though, good to know!!!I fed my second for much longer than my first, and mine are HUGE since the start of this pregnancy.Weirdly my breasts seem to have got smaller in the last week (at 39weeks!!) Which doesn't seem right but anyway.Bodies are weird and wonderful things!!

As someone who ended up FF my first and successfully BF my next two can I just give a bit of advice....if you want to breastfeed getting your support and information in place during pregnancy is key. I highly recommend doing a BF prep class by a IBCLC, get yourself the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. Read Timeline of a breastfed baby so you know what to expect. Then in hospital don’t be afraid to ring the bell every time you need help with latch. Stay away from bottles in the early days as it messes with supply and can cause nipple confusion. Keep baby skin to skin as much as possible. I did hours every day. The Breast Angels silver cups are the best - no need for multi Mam compresses or lanolin.

Oh and no need to toughen up your nipples! That’s an old fashioned thing but not necessary.

All very good advice Anne and it is actually a list if everything I did. I went to a class with Nicola O byrne in the beacon (she was excellent) before the birth so was well prepared. I even had a lactation consultant out twice to assess the latch etc. We got a tongue tie snipped (made no difference but it was a very mild one on fairness) I bothered every midwife I saw many times in the hospital and in fairness they were very good and very patient despite being run off their feet. I was very lucky to have a neighbour who is an active member of a large leche league and she talked to me and sat while I fed and she lent me that book which was also good especially regarding my expectations, turns out a four hour feed is normal enough!!! The inky thing I your list I didn't do was get the breast angels which I will defo be doing this time, I spent a fortune on multi mam compresses.

I am just not sure there is much more I could have done to try make my breastfeeding journey a success. And I had to spend a lot of money and go through a lot of stress to get as far as I did. That is why I am going to relax more and put less pressure on myself this time. It will be hard as I am such a determined person but I have to for my own mental health.

I just want first time mums and possible breastfeeders on this thread to know that it is okay if it doesn't work out for you, definitely try it I think everyone should but don't get upset or stress if you are not as successful as hoped. The pressure from everything you read and hear is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Entropy7

Yes. The rule is that you must feed your child... whatever way you do it!
    I lasted til 5 1/2 months BF. Persistence in the first week paid off. It was very painful for the first week, then with the help of Multi Mam, it worked out. I have to look up the Breast Angels. Were they available in 2015?

greenttc wrote: »

No idea, and I didn’t ask! She started making ‘twiddling’ motions with her fingers and I changed the subject pronto!

No idea, and I didn’t ask! She started making ‘twiddling’ motions with her fingers and I changed the subject pronto!

Haha that’s hilarious! A total myth though. “Toughening up” in advance doesn’t help.

Great advice from anne Cordelia there. I found the first few weeks very very difficult (so painful! I cried every time). I was extremely motivated and very determined to breastfeed, and if I wasn’t, I wouldn’t have lasted. Fortunately it got a lot easier for me after about 3 weeks and was plain sailing since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭babymakesthree

I am going to give it a go again, only managed just over four months the last time before he rejected me. But it was without exception the hardest thing I have done in my life and in my mind made those first few months very very tough for me as I had so many issues. That said I will do it again as I know it is best for baby but I will not be so tough in myself this time round and if it is not working I will just go to bottle.

I hate the whole breastfeeding debate to be honest, the enormous guilt I felt when I stopped at four months was awful and it was down to society. Yes of course it is wonderful and healthy and giving babies a great start in life and everyone should seriously consider it and BE GIVEN PROPER SUPPORT BEFORE AND DURING breastfeeding but people have to know its okay to go with formula too. Formula is not devil's food and is also good for your baby. Breastfeeding is not successful and easy for everyone. I am very jealous of those it works for though!!!

None of that rant is directed at you caitriona by the way! I am jealous if you and how successful you were! Hope its like that for me second time round but my hopes are not high.

Just wanted to jump in to say I had the exact same experience as you greenttc, I was absolutely determined and got to 5mths bf and we parted ways. The last 2 months were combined feeding though as it was such a struggle in the first few weeks. I’ll put myself under less pressure this time but I’ll definitely give it a good go and see if it’s works well. Ill definitely be reaching out for more assistance this time too, I didn’t want to make a fuss last time and maybe it would have helped?

Ahhhh I am cringing at the thoughts of it!!!!!! Ha ha! That is so funny. No amount of twiddling can prepare you I don't think!!!

Ahhhh I am cringing at the thoughts of it!!!!!! Ha ha! That is so funny. No amount of twiddling can prepare you I don't think!!!

I was morto! Like I’m going to sit at home twiddling my nipples while I watch telly! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

This is all great advice regarding breastfeeding, thanks everyone! have my heart set on it but not sure about the full six months as I will have to go back to work at least part time after 3 months. It would still be do able as I work from home, I could just turn down anything that requires me to travel anywhere. I really want to see how it goes... I’ve seen friends crash and burn with the best will in the world.

Was away last night and woke up during the night and threw up 😭 then again after a very light breakfast this morning. Haven’t eaten yet and frightened to. Don’t think it was a “morning sickness” episode as I’m almost 16 weeks and haven’t thrown up yet but maybe indigestion... had duck for dinner last night and it was over cooked... anyway... ugh

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice on breastfeeding. I am going to give it a really good try. I have no friends who'd be judgemental about stopping bf but I have several who are very passionate about those who commit to bf exclusively. Of course combined works well too and the main thing is that baby is fed but a couple of people I know describe others as plain mad for sticking out the first few tiring weeks. Surely it's worth it if it works out in the end?! Or even if it doesn't! Trying is the main thing - if you want to, and fine if you don't want to.

Thanks for all the advice on breastfeeding. I am going to give it a really good try. I have no friends who'd be judgemental about stopping bf but I have several who are very passionate about those who commit to bf exclusively. Of course combined works well too and the main thing is that baby is fed but a couple of people I know describe others as plain mad for sticking out the first few tiring weeks. Surely it's worth it if it works out in the end?! Or even if it doesn't! Trying is the main thing - if you want to, and fine if you don't want to.

Yeah I thinks it is definitely worth sticking out the first few weeks and it is painful but if it works out it would so be worth it. It just didn't work for me and I withstood the pain for over four months and it literally made my toes curl and I am using literally in a very literal sense!!!

But I will go through that pain again in the hopes it will work this time. I reckon if it is still bad after 6 weeks I will go to formula. Sounds long when you are this side of it but it's the reality I think! It does take the 6 weeks to get comfortable with the while process I believe! Before having a baby I would have thought it's madness but from day one it is interesting to see the sacrifices you give for your baby! It totally changes you, for the good!

Someone once said to me that they didn’t understand the real meaning of “toe curling pain” until breastfeeding... they were so right!

In any BF relationship there are two people learning to do it, both mum and baba! So even though I’ve done it before, I know that it’s totally new for the baby so I’m not expecting to be dead easy because I’ve experience of it. But similarly for you girls who really struggled, there’s nothing to say that the next baba won’t be a “better” feeder, so perhaps it’ll be a much smoother ride next time around!

I’m so excited to go again though because once we got over the horror of the first month, I absolutely loved it. My initial goal was six months, then a year, then two years. I was so gutted when I had to stop at 13 months because of this other little baby in my belly. One thing I won’t be tolerating this time though is the people who constantly tell you to stop feeding and to “just give him a bottle”. Pressured to breastfeed, pressured to bottle feed - there’s pressure from both sides unfortunately.

Commiserations on the vomiting clacla82, sounds miserable! I hope it’s just a funny tummy and you feel better soon.

I was so gutted when I had to stop at 13 months because of this other little baby in my belly.

Maybe a silly question but why can't you bf while pregnant?

Pressured to breastfeed, pressured to bottle feed - there’s pressure from both sides unfortunately.

Also - totally agree with this!

I wish I fit Pennys bra's, 40JJ now for my sins! To be fair I hadn't measured since not long after my first so I was probably in the wrong sizes anyways

I'll be bottle again. There's a particular med I need to take for asthma pretty regularly thats not compatible which I have to come off when pregnant. I'd prefer to be healthy and not cause confusion should I need it. And loath as I am to admit it, bottles worked for us as a family last time out. I totally get the pressure from both sides though, the medication issue at least stops the breastfeeding conversion attempts in my case

Mirrorwall14 omg I didn't even know bras went up to a JJ! Hope they're not too uncomfortable for you!

Whatever way you feed works for you is what's best for baby in my view, my friend had a double mastectomy before her first and obviously bottle fed and it just eliminated any argument or attempts to persuade so it is handy to be able to just refer to the meds. Shouldn't have to justify yourself but it is handy to not have to.

Mirrorwall14 omg I didn't even know bras went up to a JJ! Hope they're not too uncomfortable for you!

Whatever way you feed works for you is what's best for baby in my view, my friend had a double mastectomy before her first and obviously bottle fed and it just eliminated any argument or attempts to persuade so it is handy to be able to just refer to the meds. Shouldn't have to justify yourself but it is handy to not have to.

Agreed, at least it stops it. Fed baby really is best in the end.

Yeah I've been an G/GG for quite a while now. Even when I was a healthy weight I was well endowed :rolleyes:

Maybe a silly question but why can't you bf while pregnant?

Depends on the person - some people feed successfully the whole way through and then tandem feed two kids! But for most women the pregnancy hormones causes your milk to dry up. Usually this happens in the second trimester, but my supply dipped straight away - a week before I even took a pregnancy test. I kept it up for another few weeks anyway, but I was so sick and so tired that it just became so difficult for me that I called it a day. When I stopped, my parents took him for several days straight (which was obviously not possible beforehand), and I slept basically the whole time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

Someone once said to me that they didn’t understand the real meaning of “toe curling pain” until breastfeeding... they were so right!

In any BF relationship there are two people learning to do it, both mum and baba! So even though I’ve done it before, I know that it’s totally new for the baby so I’m not expecting to be dead easy because I’ve experience of it. But similarly for you girls who really struggled, there’s nothing to say that the next baba won’t be a “better” feeder, so perhaps it’ll be a much smoother ride next time around!

I’m so excited to go again though because once we got over the horror of the first month, I absolutely loved it. My initial goal was six months, then a year, then two years. I was so gutted when I had to stop at 13 months because of this other little baby in my belly. One thing I won’t be tolerating this time though is the people who constantly tell you to stop feeding and to “just give him a bottle”. Pressured to breastfeed, pressured to bottle feed - there’s pressure from both sides unfortunately.

Commiserations on the vomiting clacla82, sounds miserable! I hope it’s just a funny tummy and you feel better soon.

Thanks Catriona, it was no joke. It was definitely norovirus, the aches/pains/shivering kicked in yesterday afternoon and I had to drive to Dublin for a late evening meeting, booked into my hotel and slept for nine hours which is a miracle in itself. Appetite still not here but trying to choke down some porridge.

But FAIR PLAY for breastfeeding as long as you did, for everyone I know for whom it worked, when it kicked in they did not want to stop. As far as I am concerned happy mama happy baby - please God it works out for me as I really really want to do it but I think there are so many factors at play. Definitely have persistence in my head!

Advertisement