Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

October 2018 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

Oh god I was all for trying to BF but these posts are turning me off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panda18

These posts on bf are really interesting! I’m a first timer and I’m massively on the fence on whether to bf or not. I keep saying i’ll Wait and see when the time comes but I think I better look into it sooner than that now.

Kylith, that’s hilarious, I don’t think I’d be able to look my mam in the eye after that :D

On another note, I’ve been signed off work for a few days because of a cold/sinus infection. The pain was awful there the weekend. The doc has me on an antibiotic she said is safe so hopefully it clears it as I hate having to take it. I also have the biggest cold sore I’ve ever seen, it’s taken over my top lip and nose. Spending my days in bed hoping to get over this quick :)

Oh I got to hear baby’s heartbeat while in the doctors! It was brilliant, it sounded like a horse running :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Panda18 wrote: »

Kylith, that’s hilarious, I don’t think I’d be able to look my mam in the eye after that :D

Well, my mum’s a bit.. you know. She’s also of the opinion that men have no place in the delivery room, so if she had her way she’d be right there beside me, telling me not to make a fuss, sure didn’t she have umpteen babies, _massive_ ones, and was at home 15 minutes after peeling spuds with the baby suction cupped to her breast, and I think _this_ is pain? Sure, her last was 10 pounds (I actually was!) and what I’m feeling is nothing compared to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panda18

kylith wrote: »
    Well, my mum’s a bit.. you know. She’s also of the opinion that men have no place in the delivery room, so if she had her way she’d be right there beside me, telling me not to make a fuss, sure didn’t she have umpteen babies, _massive_ ones, and was at home 15 minutes after peeling spuds with the baby suction cupped to her breast, and I think _this_ is pain? Sure, her last was 10 pounds (I actually was!) and what I’m feeling is nothing compared to that.

Wow 10 pounds! ( my legs just crossed involuntarily) :)

It’s like that song, “anything you can do I can do better”.

Try not take it to heart, It’s very frustrating though when you’re trying to get your point across and it’s downplayed.

I keep telling my husband about different things I’m freaking out about and he keeps saying not to worry everything will be fine and I feel like shouting BUT HOW DO YOU KNOW!MAYBE IT WONT! At him :D

I think they just mean well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

lunamoon wrote: »
    Oh god I was all for trying to BF but these posts are turning me off it.

Try not to be put off. Unfortunately a lot of pressure is put on women to BF (or FF), so sometimes when it’s discussed, people will list all the issues they had to explain why they stopped because they feel like they have to justify their decision (which they shouldn’t have to... women are subjected to so much mum guilt it’s unreal).

Thankfully for many women, breastfeeding is an overwhelmingly positive experience. The first few weeks are tough, but after that it is generally so much easier than formula feeding for most women and babies.

The best advice is just to do your research on what to expect - what’s normal for a BF baby is often quite different from a FF baby - and surround yourself by a supportive network of people who can help you along the way.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

The majority of my friends' BF. Only one doesn't and none of them ever mentioned the pain mentioned here or prepping nipples beforehand.:(

Panda18 wrote: »
    Wow 10 pounds! ( my legs just crossed involuntarily) :)

It’s like that song, “anything you can do I can do better”.

Try not take it to heart, It’s very frustrating though when you’re trying to get your point across and it’s downplayed.

She does mean well, it can just be frustrating to have your feelings disregarded.

Himself is great. Once he copped that I’m legitimately freaking about something going wrong he’s been so supportive.

lunamoon wrote: »
    The majority of my friends' BF. Only one doesn't and none of them ever mentioned the pain mentioned here or prepping nipples beforehand.:(

The prepping nipples is a lot of rubbish. There’s no research to show it helps, and midwives don’t recommend doing it.

Some women have little to no pain at all. For most, it’s quite uncomfortable for the first few weeks... but then as a midwife once said to me, imagine if someone was sucking the back of your hand for several hours per day - wouldn’t your hand be sore too?! It usually improves somewhere between 1-6 weeks after.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jodee08

Jutton wrote: »
    Hey all, late joiner here from Nov group, had my booking appointment and scan this week. Due date now changed to 28th Oct. Telling family today. Don't know why but I'm nervous about telling my mum.

Welcome Jutton! I'm one day ahead of you. Due on 27th Oct. Great to have someone else in the thread at the same gestation, as it sometimes feels like I'm miles behind.

In other news, my OH has just broken his leg ��
    Mirrorwall, I'm so sorry to hear about your OH. Eeeeeek! What bad timing? How is it going?

As for all the BF talk, this one is my 3rd and I've already decided I'm going to FF. I expressed for 9 weeks on my first (she was premature and had to be tube fed all that time because of lack of energy). Whatever the reason, when I decided to move to FF, she took a growth spurt and started bottle feeding.
    I decided literally on the operating table (CS) of my 2nd that I wouldn't BF because I didn't think I'd have the time to do it while looking after my eldest.
    And that goes again with this one, as I'll have 3 under 5 with my eldest having special needs.
    Like many have said, it really is a personal decision, and no-one else can make it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Really hope I haven't turned anyone off BFing!!! God I feel bad now. I hadn't thought about it but what caitriona said certainly struck a cord, I think i did feel the need to list off all my issues in order to defend my need to stop after four months, I suppose I have felt such pressure to stay away from formula that it has been my natural defensive reaction and it is wrong.

Breastfeeding is a breeze to lots of people it really is but the reality is that it can be very hard and painful to but you do persevere as it really can get easy once you get the first few weeks over you. I just want people to k ow the reality if both the hard and the good experiences mostly to know that if you find it hard it is very very normal and that if you really want to breastfeed you should stick it out for a while and see if things improve. But if you don't feel you can stick it out and things are bad you shouldn't feel bad in the slightest. Happy mum means happy baby.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

BF can be difficult to establish alright.It can be sore for the first bit although thankfully I didn't have it too badly.For those of you on your second/third etc baby, it will cause contractions in the days afterwards....good god, now they are toe curling. (And rarely mentioned!!!)But once you get into the habit of it, it's not so bad.

The one thing about BF is that it kind of sucks you in....you can become obsessed with how much the baby is feeding, how well they are feeding and how you HAVE to keep going with BF only.It is the most irrational thing!!!It's pure hormones,and objectively I can sit here and say that now, but I know if I BF for any period this time again, I'll be a blubbering mess for several days once it stops.Even though I KNOW I'll be fine the following week and the baby is just fine on formula!Two babies in, I can see what works for me, and I will do what suits, because almost four years on from the birth of my first I can safely say for myself, it made feck all difference how long I kept at it for.I have two healthy, happy kids and that's all any parent wants.

My own feeling is combination feeding works best for us, for many reasons, so that's what I intend to do.Unfortunately first time round I actually didn't know I could do that, I thought it had to be either breast or bottle (I thought that for about 24 hours!!).Fingers crossed it works out this time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I've watched two friends/family members who went through living hell because they felt they "needed" to breast feed and they hadn't quite realised what cluster feeding was, nipple confusion for bottles, pumping, etc and that it could be difficult. I've also watched quite a few who have loved it and thoroughly enjoyed it, they didn't seem to have any major issues and will admit to wondering if I should try it! I think the campaign though needs to be adjusted now.

1. A happy baby is a fed baby regardless of how. Bashing on both sides need to stop
    2. Both benefits and negatives of breastfeeding need to be honestly shared so that women don't beat themselves up because its not working the way it is portrayed

I read alot. If I didn't I wouldn't know about
    -Nipple shields, problems with them, and when you need them
    -Cluster feeding: Baby constantly feeding for long periods. Its normal
    -Tongue Tie: Not routinely checked in Ireland but can cause big problems with breastfeeding
    -Nipple Confusion: There's mixed views that introducing expressed milk bottles/soothers can cause confusion for the baby
    -Returning to Work: An awful lot of people run into problems when returning to work when baby can refuse to take milk etc. There can be a lot of confusion around this.

Nothing is insurmountable but knowledge is your friend in these cases

Mirrorwall if you are genuinely interested, you could have a look at Lactmed. Many meds can be adjusted so that BFing is possible. I was on medication last time around that I had to stop during pregnancy, but my GP was able to substitute it with something else so I could BF.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

kylith wrote: »
    No idea, and I didn’t ask! She started making ‘twiddling’ motions with her fingers and I changed the subject pronto!

A facecloth in the shower was the advice I got - as gentle as you can bear at first but gradually increasing - never hurt them though or scrub them hard. You just want them getting gradually used to being manhandled. Fact is, with us keeping our nipples nice and protected behind padded bras these days, if you put a baby on your breast right now and they cluster fed for hours, it's gonna get sore with the sucking motion and the wet environment. So it makes sense to get them a little but used to the job ahead.

People say that it's old fashioned and unnecessary (but isn't breastfeeding by definition the most old fashioned process in the world anyway?), and I got absolutely lambasted by other first time mums-to-be who was also planning to breastfeed for suggesting it in our baby thread. But I didn't have any issues when it came to breastfeeding- in fact it was something that came easily to us whereas some of them ended up having lots of pain and bleeding. Maybe I was just lucky or maybe my facecloth method worked for me, I dunno.

I think sometimes the breastfeeding groups aren't always realistic -they minimise the difficulties massively and when a new mum is finding it difficult or sore they feel that they've failed and it's not like that at all. If you are new and faced with 5 women in a group telling you you are doing it "wrong" because it shouldn't be sore, it's very intimidating and upsetting. You come away feeling like sh!t - and to me, that's not a support group.

It can also depend on the baby how successful your breastfeeding efforts might be. I know plenty of women who BF their first and third but it never worked out for their middle baby. And there's always been a failure rate in breastfeeding during the millenia and before formula - but back then other women would share their milk with your baby, or the baby would have 'failure to thrive' which was a blanket diagnosis for anything from CMPA to inability to feed.

So if you want to try to breastfeed, read up as much balanced information as you can, but also keep it realistic and know that if for whatever reason you find it difficult, formula is perfectly fine too. Breastfeeding is as unique as our birthing experiences. Some of us sail through, others find it trickier, and have a few wobbles before it settles down, and it's no reflection on you how it ends up playing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭clacla82

greenttc wrote: »
    Really hope I haven't turned anyone off BFing!!! God I feel bad now. I hadn't thought about it but what caitriona said certainly struck a cord, I think i did feel the need to list off all my issues in order to defend my need to stop after four months, I suppose I have felt such pressure to stay away from formula that it has been my natural defensive reaction and it is wrong.

Breastfeeding is a breeze to lots of people it really is but the reality is that it can be very hard and painful to but you do persevere as it really can get easy once you get the first few weeks over you. I just want people to k ow the reality if both the hard and the good experiences mostly to know that if you find it hard it is very very normal and that if you really want to breastfeed you should stick it out for a while and see if things improve. But if you don't feel you can stick it out and things are bad you shouldn't feel bad in the slightest. Happy mum means happy baby.

GreenTTC don't you think four months is amazing??? You don't need to defend that at all!

Hey girls! Well my bump is definitely starting to get more obvious. There isn’t a hope of me getting the usual dresses I wear to work on me, so it’s time to go shopping!
    Just wondering if anyone can suggest somewhere that does nice maternity wear?
    I shopped in New Look for previous pregnancies and they were okay for trousers & tops but would really like to get some nice dresses, especially with the summer coming!

I find most maternity stuff is frumpy and overpriced. I will probably just go to Penney’s and buy stuff a couple of sizes up!

I’ve just spent a fortune on New Look online!
    They actually had some decent stuff so f€ck it!
    Hopefully that’s me sorted til D-Day now!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭aidom

I've bought a few bits from ASOS and they seem to have a lot of nice stuff.

I haven't worn anything I bought so far beyond a quick try on but the quality seems pretty decent. I think I'll start wearing the jeans this weekend though. I don't fancy squishing back into my regular ones anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

Hey girls.. I had my 1st consultant visit on Tuesday.. everything great with baby growing and developing normal I am 15 weeks 3 days now! my blood pressure is high though and the consultant wants me back in 2 weeks again.. they needed to monitor me for one hour every 10 mins as the BP wasnt going down.. has anyone experienced high blood pressure in their pregnancy b4 and has this affected you? I know its a lot of waiting around the hospital but I dont mind as you get to have a mini scan which is amazing reassurance.. 15 weeks and already 3 scans thank god

• Advertisement

Orange369 wrote: »
    Hey girls.. I had my 1st consultant visit on Tuesday.. everything great with baby growing and developing normal I am 15 weeks 3 days now! my blood pressure is high though and the consultant wants me back in 2 weeks again.. they needed to monitor me for one hour every 10 mins as the BP wasnt going down.. has anyone experienced high blood pressure in their pregnancy b4 and has this affected you? I know its a lot of waiting around the hospital but I dont mind as you get to have a mini scan which is amazing reassurance.. 15 weeks and already 3 scans thank god

I ran high BP (Pregnancy Induced Hypertension) for the third trimester, I was medicated for it (labetelol) and eventually induced. You'll be monitored very very closely, particularly as you progress. By January (I was due 28th January) I was in 3 days a week for blood pressure series, usually involving lying me down until eventually they'd get enough good reads to send me home. It was very annoying but they are very very good at this

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

Ah thats great thanks for the info! I feel happier to be seeing the consultant especially after the miscarriage last year.. she mentioned that I may need medication and to get a home BP monitor and keep an eye at home and record it to bring in next time.. i just hope i am ok for work, i am very proud only being off sick one day so far! struggled through some days but all going well..

Ah thats great thanks for the info! I feel happier to be seeing the consultant especially after the miscarriage last year.. she mentioned that I may need medication and to get a home BP monitor and keep an eye at home and record it to bring in next time.. i just hope i am ok for work, i am very proud only being off sick one day so far! struggled through some days but all going well..

Technically antenatal appointments have to be covered by the company under law so while you might have more monitoring it shouldn't come off your sick leave.

For me maternity fell with the school year so I actually came off work at 31 weeks since my maternity would be "wasted" in the summer holidays anyways. Don't know how long I would have stayed on, I was starting medication at that stage and school isn't exactly peaceful :D

Honestly though, they are great and they watch PIH like a hawk

Hi Orange,

Like Mirrorwall, I also had high BP in the third trimester on both my pregnancies.
    If they can’t get it down, they will medicate. And that’s fine. It certainly helps for peace of mind too!
    I also bought a home BP monitor. I got it in Argos, and agsin, it’s great for peace of mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Anyone suffered/suffering with migraines?

I was dizzy and had distorted vision yesterday and generally felt weak and disoriented. GP examined me, checked BP and urine and said it seems to be the beginnings of a migraine but without the excruciating headache (thank god). She signed me off work today but I felt ok and hit the road, but once I hit daylight my eyes started pounding and I quickly started feeling awful, with vision distorted again. So I'm in bed in the dark now and feeling slightly better but vision still not right, kind of cloudy around the edges.

I just really hope this is not the start of a prolonged period of feeling this way..any experience or insights?

You poor thing. I hope it’ll soon pass. I wish I could offer some advice.

I had my first consultant appointment this morning. All went well, got another scan and everything looks good. Next one is the anatomy scan, and i’m Really looking forward to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Lovelemons

Oh wow loads of action on here. Had been missing for a while it was a hectic few weeks. Ended up with a trip to a and e and the physio but all is fine thank goodness.

Had a look at a travel system today in mothercare. Still haven't bought a thing waiting for anomoly scan in two weeks.

Great to hear all the consultant appointments are going well.

Sorry I can't see who is suffering with migraine I hope it passes soon. Its awful isn't it.

I also didn't breastfeed the last two times and I won't be this time. Fair play to those who do though.

No migraines here thank God though I am headachy which is very unusual for me.

I had my birth reflection this morning in the Coombe. Highly recommend it for anyone, she was absolutely lovely and walked me through absolutely everything from the gels through to the post natal bloods.

Few things that came up:
    1. I'll be asking for late growth scans, she speculated that he stopped growing in the last two weeks. He actually came out significantly lighter than the last scan showed. Apparently high BP and early bleeds could have been a possible cause
    2. I'll likely be offered antibiotics again in labour as I was GBS positive. I can request a swab if I don't want them but I don't mind, happy to just take them
    3. There's no guarantee that the gels caused the precipitous labour so plan for a fast labour and if its slow thats brilliant. My trace at 130am had zero contractions, I was at -3 and couldn't even admit a fingertip. Baby in arms by 710. However they use a removable version of the gel now so they’d likely have tried removing it if it had been possible then.

And lastly I'm apparently an awesome pusher (2 pushes and he was out) but the placental bloods showed a dramatic decrease in his O2 from the last blood test on his head. If I hadn't gotten him out myself that fast I'd have needed a crash Caesarean so thank god for that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Out of curiousity, did you request that mirrorwall?
    I know in the Rotunda they treat for strep b during labour every time once it's identified, doesn"t seem to be optional.After the experience with my first though, I am happy to let them.

shesty wrote: »
    Out of curiousity, did you request that mirrorwall?
    I know in the Rotunda they treat for strep b during labour every time once it's identified, doesn"t seem to be optional.After the experience with my first though, I am happy to let them.

The reflection? Yeah I requested it when I saw it was possible in the booking folder.

She said it’s optional to look to be tested but they’ll usually cover after being positive on the first baby unless you don’t want it.

I find most maternity stuff is frumpy and overpriced. I will probably just go to Penney’s and buy stuff a couple of sizes up!

Frumpy is indeed the only way to describe most of it. I got two pairs of trousers in Vero moda today. They have elastic at the back so should last a while hopefully. stretchy dresses in the next size up are great too when you Ré body confident. I don't like them for the in between stage though but every one is different

No migraines here thank God though I am headachy which is very unusual for me.

I had my birth reflection this morning in the Coombe. Highly recommend it for anyone, she was absolutely lovely and walked me through absolutely everything from the gels through to the post natal bloods.

Few things that came up:
    1. I'll be asking for late growth scans, she speculated that he stopped growing in the last two weeks. He actually came out significantly lighter than the last scan showed. Apparently high BP and early bleeds could have been a possible cause
    2. I'll likely be offered antibiotics again in labour as I was GBS positive. I can request a swab if I don't want them but I don't mind, happy to just take them
    3. There's no guarantee that the gels caused the precipitous labour so plan for a fast labour and if its slow thats brilliant. My trace at 130am had zero contractions, I was at -3 and couldn't even admit a fingertip. Baby in arms by 710. However they use a removable version of the gel now so they’d likely have tried removing it if it had been possible then.

And lastly I'm apparently an awesome pusher (2 pushes and he was out) but the placental bloods showed a dramatic decrease in his O2 from the last blood test on his head. If I hadn't gotten him out myself that fast I'd have needed a crash Caesarean so thank god for that

Wow that was very informative. Its all good to know isn't it.

I must see can I do that, although really it's probably pointless at this stage.

I must see can I do that, although really it's probably pointless at this stage.

Its four years since I was pregnant and I'll definitely do it after this one too tbh. Apart from anything, I got a feeling of closure which is nice

• Advertisement

Its strange as its all the symptoms of migraine like nausea, dizziness and distorted vision but without the excruciating headache so I am relieved about that. I just hope it lifts soon and that it's not the start of recurrent symptoms.

Mirrorwall14 that's great that you feel the reflection went well, I'm sure it's a bit of reassurance to know exactly what happened before you head in for your next delivery in October.

Its four years since I was pregnant and I'll definitely do it after this one too tbh. Apart from anything, I got a feeling of closure which is nice

Oh true, I can see why it would be useful.I guess it's more that my due date on my third is next week, and I don't intend there to be any more, so it would probably be a bit pointless!But it would have been good after my first, when I was having my second.Not that I had major problems, but there were a few things I'd have liked to know.

Oh true, I can see why it would be useful.I guess it's more that my due date on my third is next week, and I don't intend there to be any more, so it would probably be a bit pointless!But it would have been good after my first, when I was having my second.Not that I had major problems, but there were a few things I'd have liked to know.

Lol true enough I guess. She actually told me to give her a shout around 36-38 weeks if I’m worried about anything and she’d be more than happy to chat to me about anything that has come up

That birth reflection service sounds amazing. I wish they did it in Holles street. Which reminds me, I must get my record requested as I’ve no idea how long my recorded labour was! I think it was about 3 hours from 2cm to 10 but I was so delirious that who knows!

I have an awful head cold at the minute. With pregnancy suppressing your immune system, every bug or virus seems to hit so much harder while pregnant! Lying awake with a thumping sinus headache and really sore throat - I can’t swallow. But I also can’t breathe through my nose at all so my mouth is all dry and I need to swallow even more than usual but it really really hurts.

Can’t wait for it to go away! Three days now and not easing yet.

Had a great big emotional meltdown earlier and feel all the better for it. Third day of these migraine symptoms in my eyes and I admitted to hubby how stressed I am in every waking moment as to how the baby is, if every little thing I do can harm or affect the baby, the stress of waiting between now and the next scan etc etc. He was great and suggested we book into another private scan soon and bought me lots of treats (junk food :P ) to cheer me up. Didn't realise how much I was stressing myself out until I let it all out. Hormones and general feeling of pressure and uncertainty over the next few months take their toll!

• Advertisement

Ah cash q, glad you got it all out and got some healing treats too! It really is a very worrisome and emotional time.

In terms of your migraines I get them a lot and they can be worse in pregnancy but I get a sore head and a bit pukey not the other symptoms you have. This time round I started taking magnesium and I feel like it's helping, helps with my terrible leg cramps too. I take a supplement called mag 365.

You should read up about magnesium etc and see what you think but maybe talk to your doctor about it and don't just take the advice straight from me or anywhere else on the Internet!! It will just add to your worries otherwise!

Thanks greenttc, I have an underactive thyroid and magnesium is supposed to help with that too but in the past I was told not to take supplements so they could see how my thyroid medication was working on it's own. Won't be paying another 55 to see the doc anytime soon so hopefully it'll ease up by itself. Forced myself to go for a walk and was Ok, eyes still all over the place but glad to get a bit of fresh air an exercise.

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Thanks greenttc, I have an underactive thyroid and magnesium is supposed to help with that too but in the past I was told not to take supplements so they could see how my thyroid medication was working on it's own. Won't be paying another 55 to see the doc anytime soon so hopefully it'll ease up by itself. Forced myself to go for a walk and was Ok, eyes still all over the place but glad to get a bit of fresh air an exercise.

Do you mean 55 to see your gp? Are you not doing combined care? If so you should be seeing your gp soon enough and it won't cost anything.

Failed an ear test in Specsavers today. I knew I was having issues with it. Get myself for a wax check then rebook the hour long one if it’s not that. Grr.

Failed an ear test in Specsavers today. I knew I was having issues with it. Get myself for a wax check then rebook the hour long one if it’s not that. Grr.

Hope eye tests went ok! People fail those due to wax all the time. Plus there’s background noise as it’s not in a soundproofed room. I failed it once due to wax myself.

Hope eye tests went ok! People fail those due to wax all the time. Plus there’s background noise as it’s not in a soundproofed room. I failed it once due to wax myself.

Eye tests were grand. Both of us fine. I’m down -.25 in one eye but it’s been three years so I’m pretty stable which I’m happy about (I had laser surgery over 10 years ago!).

I’ve actually been noticing a problem with that ear for three years (since my little boy was born) but I passed the ear test when I got my eyes checked after birth so I just ignored it. Time to check it properly now. I noticed because I have to lift my head off the pillow to understand/hear my little boy if my left is in the pillow (right is the bad one)

greenttc wrote:
    Do you mean 55 to see your gp? Are you not doing combined care? If so you should be seeing your gp soon enough and it won't cost anything.

I paid 55 for my visit the other day because I went in about the migraine and had no appt scheduled under combined care. Consultant appt on 17th May is my next appt at which point I will be 18w3d. Midwife at booking appt told me I would be advised when I need to see GP and they haven't told me to yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Jutton

I called my gp up and booked an appointment 4 weeks after scan, then a further 4 weeks later. Next hospital appointment at week 22.

Jutton wrote:
    I called my gp up and booked an appointment 4 weeks after scan, then a further 4 weeks later. Next hospital appointment at week 22.

Were you told to do this by your midwife at the booking appointment or scan? Or did your GP?

I was so out of it with the migraine the other day that I didn't have the energy to ask about all the appointments I should be having.

It was the same GP that I found pretty useless at my original appointment when I first discovered I'm pregnant so I wasn't too confident with asking her anything anyway.

What happens at your GP appointments? Just BP, urine etc? She did all that; I wonder should I be looking for my 55euro back

I was just told in the hispital to see GP between hospital visits - nothing concrete. I had my booking appt at 12 weeks and next hospital appt is at 21 weeks so I’m gonna see my GP at 17 weeks.
    GP checks urine, BP, does an abdominal exam and if far enough along will use a doppler to listen to baby’s heartbeat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement